Author Topic: Anyone Play Planetside?  (Read 3442 times)

January 23, 2004, 10:22:31 PM
Read 3442 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's been a long time since I played... (I began playing pretty much the day it came out. Played for 1.5 months, quit)

I'm thinking of giving it another shot. But before I dump $13 into it...

I basically want to know how much it's imporoved since release. The worst part about it is:

Is the TR still sooper-dooper-overpowered-lamorific-retarded? That's mainly why I quit:

Get in a MAX: MISSILE LOCK - DIE
Get in a vehicle: MISSILE LOCK - DIE
Go inside a base with 12 billion teammates: ONE POUNDER! - Kills everyone, the base, the continent, and your sanctuary.

January 23, 2004, 11:07:41 PM
Reply #1

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

January 23, 2004, 11:22:00 PM
Reply #2

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Downloading the demo again.  Funny story, the first time I downloaded the 1.4Gig demo a file was corupted.  Yah real funny.  So just a few more days and I should be able to play.

January 24, 2004, 01:07:21 AM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'll join you on the demo... it was fun the first time until it got boring :p Hopefully it's better.

BTW I go to the forums and I'm all happy: The devs constantly talking to players and the letters a stuff, that's all me :) I made this massive lengthy post bitching the devs out and they listened ;)

January 24, 2004, 01:56:39 AM
Reply #4

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Pre-emptive 'have never played it' note here, but from what I've heard it's just not what it was meant to be. Gain territory only to quit for an hour and come back to find you've lost it again. Not much of a strategy game if you can never win or even get the upper hand. Also, it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay a montly fee to play a game.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 24, 2004, 06:57:11 AM
Reply #5

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Actually, it's gotten quite good.  A close buddy of mine has been playing it for about 6 months now, and is still so incredibly hooked it's ridiculous.

With the Core Combat expansion, it's even leeter.  Almost everything has finally been balanced, and the lag issues have all but disappeared if you have a computer with the balls to handle the game.  I would recommend trying the demo - there are a whole lot of new vehicles/weapons to try out, and it's generally a whole lot of fun.

And regarding the 'losing all progress overnight' - that really keeps the game interesting.  Go on a day-long campaing, go to sleep, and wake up the next morning with an entire new challenge at your beck and call.  Basically, you'll never be fighting in the same place the same way twice in your entire playing career, keeping the game fresh and exciting.  At least that's the way I see it  :huh:  :D

January 24, 2004, 11:30:57 AM
Reply #6

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
the beta annoyed me

January 24, 2004, 11:54:42 AM
Reply #7

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
85% done installing the patches.  I'll give a report on how the game is after that.  Oh and what side do you all play on?

January 24, 2004, 11:58:18 AM
Reply #8

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Vanu I played for a while, because it had the best players you'd find, ever. That was because every gun absolutely sucked, their tank was good for nothing but smooshing people, and their heavy buggy had the nickname of 'weedwacker'.

After tiring of losing every day to Cyclers and Vanguards I switched to New Congolmorate. Much more fun. Their AV was the worst in the game but fun to use. Nevertheless we still got our asses kicked by Cyclers and Strikers and Pounders, so...

Then I joined TR briefly, got certed in AV, AI MAX, and Rexo, and got to BR16 in a couple days.

Let's play NC on Emerald.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 12:14:58 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 24, 2004, 05:54:26 PM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Gah you missed it, I joined just when they were starting a 100+ Vangaurd tank rush ;) Was VERY fun.

January 25, 2004, 01:04:47 PM
Reply #10

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
U-235:  Here is a magazine review for Core Combat:

My Character is packing a powerful maelstrom heavy assault rifle as I sprint through some alien subterranean complex.  Coming topside for air, I feel confident because no one can touch me.  No, I'm not that good, and I'm not cheating.  It just that no one else was willing ti drio the $30 [American] for the first Planetside expansion.

A hot of new advanced weaponry allows you to fire a burst of static cling while the radiator lays down some toxic waste on the ground.  Vehiclewise, there is a teleporter station, a hovarbike, and a mobile artillery platform.  Take this gear aboveground and you can blow away those who haven't pluncked down thier 30 bucks for the expansion.

Since you can recharge these weapons only underground, you're stuck carrying around the sci-fi equivilant of a disposable camera.  Great.  And there is little incentive to stay below-ground for too long; between the lame zip lines that ferry you around and the endless precarious perches, I wanted to run out as quickly as possible.  It didn't help that the many times i went spelunking, nobody was there.  No doubt, if more people start drinking the Planetside Kool-Aid, it'll be fun.  But as it stands, it's like running errands.  Need to borrow my tools? Let me go into the basement to get them.  Need that flail mobile artillery cannon (which is very cool, by the way) or some module? I've gotta get to one of the four active Geowarps scattered around the world first to get down below.  See you in about 30 minutes.

Coercing people to buy Core Combat so they can get more potent weaponry seems shady.  This expansion should cost alot less--or be free.  The perpetually patched updates have fixed the horrible stability issues that plagued the launch. 

Verdict: 2 and a half stars;
A decent idea at its core, but not worth the price

For those of you that have failed english: anything in square brackets ([]) was not a part of the original article and were added in by me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 01:12:12 PM by Lito »
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

January 25, 2004, 08:03:33 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It also seems like the writer of that review failed english.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 25, 2004, 09:13:20 PM
Reply #12

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
"A hot of new advanced weaponry," eh?

I guess they were probably going for "host."  :p

January 26, 2004, 02:48:43 AM
Reply #13

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah I've already debated core combat. Really, the Flail Artillery Cannon is the only reason to get it, and it's not worth it

On the other hand, I'm leaning heavilly towards not resubscribing to Planetside. I'll decide tomorrow. The Vanu are horribly overpowered. It takes a super skilled Vangaurd pilot / gunner combo to kill a mediocre pilot / gunner magrider combo, because although the magrider does less damage, it fires twice as fast, its weapon is hitscan instead of a hard to aim intertia-affected shell, and can take so much damage, they could've put one in orbit around Allderan and it would've reflected the beam back at the Death Star.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 02:49:21 AM by Uranium - 235 »

January 27, 2004, 12:39:34 AM
Reply #14

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I was on the open beta for Planetside for a while. Had some fun with it, but not enough to interest me and warrant the spending of monthly money on it.

January 27, 2004, 11:54:36 AM
Reply #15

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I played the beta at a friends house when it was a beta, it was cool but not worth paying to play in my humble oppinion.

VANU RUWAL!

:huh:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 27, 2004, 02:43:52 PM
Reply #16

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
grrr.. i really hate PS, only because it stole from me some really solid Fogies. oh the allure of MMOFPS/RPG :(
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 28, 2004, 02:35:36 AM
Reply #17

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Planetside could've hooked me if I'd ever procured the CC needed.

Sony: Europe doesn't run on credit cards. If you want a market over here, at least take the time to learn our bank system instead of trying to shove yours down our throats. Go to hell.

January 28, 2004, 03:33:58 PM
Reply #18

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I should get that trial version of the game, I never did get to try my hand at those damned Vanu MAX armors (although I was killed by plenty of the bastages).

January 28, 2004, 04:04:51 PM
Reply #19

alius

• Lerker

• View Profile
Just a tip Lolfighter I believe you can purchase prepaid cards at stores.