Author Topic: Card tricks  (Read 6260 times)

December 05, 2005, 03:08:38 PM
Read 6260 times

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Alright so i was at a friends house doing a class project, and after we finished it was pretty late so we ended up staying the night play board games and card tricks, one trick a buddy of mine did, was you take a set of 4 cards from the deck that are symmetrical, like the 2s cause no matter how you you rotate them they look the same.

well what he does is he puts them on the floor spaced from each other then he turns around and get someone to rotate one of the cards 180 degrees, then he turns around and he can tell which one we turned.

I thought maybe he marked the card so we grabbed the 8's from the deck and still the same thing.

any ideas?

December 05, 2005, 05:06:23 PM
Reply #1

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Are they perfectly symmetrical in every way? If not, my guess is that there's some slight variation in the numbers that's standard through the deck. That, or he probably just memorized the positioning of each card, so unless you turned them 180 degrees perfectly and left it in the exact same spot, that might be it.

December 05, 2005, 06:57:19 PM
Reply #2

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
look at a at set of 2's from any deck and they are perfectly symmentrical.

He said i could lay them on the ground in any way i wanted and he would watch, so i did in a messed up sort of way, but all the cards were not angled any way or such they all pointed in the same way, then he turned around i did a complete 180 with a card and he would still get it, so i dont think he is memorizing the lay out or how much space is in between each card.

all he would do i look at the cards before had for a sec then turn around turn back around and choose the card that i turned.

I JUST DONT GET IT!!

that is like taking 4 piece of blank paper turning one 180 and being able to tell which one was turned.

HOW DOES HE DO IT?!

December 05, 2005, 07:11:13 PM
Reply #3

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
that is like taking 4 piece of blank paper turning one 180 and being able to tell which one was turned.

[snapback]54484[/snapback]
Try that next time.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

December 05, 2005, 08:02:38 PM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Also try doing the same thing, but not turning the card. If he knows you didn't turn it, that'll clue you in a bit, maybe.

I'm still leaning towards some kind of outside appearance factor, but only because I can't really think of anything else right now.

December 05, 2005, 08:13:51 PM
Reply #5

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, from your story it's not quite clear how many people you were, but if you're several people, there's always the possibility of him having an accomplice giving him signs.

December 06, 2005, 12:28:54 AM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Well, from your story it's not quite clear how many people you were, but if you're several people, there's always the possibility of him having an accomplice giving him signs.
[snapback]54487[/snapback]
I've used slight bends in cards in locating a certain card out of a group before... is it possible the cards are kinked or bent slightly?  Hell, maby he's laying hairs on them or something so he can just tell which card has been tampered with.

[edit] It's hard to tell you how a certain trick is done.  Even if you know slight of hand yourself alot of times you can guess 10 or more times the method a certain trick is done before you get the right one.  There's usually many many more then 1 way to do any given trick.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:31:03 AM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 06, 2005, 01:57:50 AM
Reply #7

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
checklist:

-check for mirrors
-check for marks on the cards
-make sure nobody's telling him anything
-turn zero cards
-turn two cards
-turn one card 90 degrees
-switch two cards
-make sure that the cards really are symmetrical

some decks stylize the "top" number and leave the "bottom" number alone. also the "top" and "bottom" royals will almost always have different facial expressions

December 06, 2005, 04:46:43 AM
Reply #8

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Good suggestions, but I think turning it 90 degrees would be kind of obvious..

December 06, 2005, 12:28:04 PM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I think he meant 360.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

December 07, 2005, 04:49:18 AM
Reply #10

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Yes the cards are perfectly symmetical, and he used a set 4s while i was inspecting the 2s that he used before and no marks or bends of anykind and he still got the trick when he used the fours, also he just guess or says you didnt move a card when you dont move one, and he is the only one in the room who knows how to do the trick.

but again it is like taking 4 piece of blank paper and turning 1 180 degrees and being able to tell which one it is.

no matter what we do to the cards he can still tell.

and i have turned it 360, he cant tell cause it is pretty much doing nothing, i have turned  all four and he can still tell.

we have even choosen which cards to use from the deck, pulled themout, set them up and turn them when he is not looking, and he can still tell.
so i dont think he is setting it up cause we set it up and he still go it.

i mean if he guesses when you dont move a card then it has to do something with the card itself and not the surroundings right?

December 07, 2005, 02:46:30 PM
Reply #11

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
but again it is like taking 4 piece of blank paper and turning 1 180 degrees and being able to tell which one it is.
[snapback]54495[/snapback]
Try a different deck and try blank papers!

I reveal penis I know psychology.

December 07, 2005, 04:41:12 PM
Reply #12

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well, that solves it.  He's magical.

December 07, 2005, 05:29:07 PM
Reply #13

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Are the cards symetrical on the backs?
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 07, 2005, 07:49:26 PM
Reply #14

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Like fewl said, use a different deck.

Maybe he has incredibly sensitive hearing and can hear the shuffling on the carpet.

December 07, 2005, 08:47:39 PM
Reply #15

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well, that solves it.  He's magical.
[snapback]54498[/snapback]

duh.

December 07, 2005, 11:54:17 PM
Reply #16

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
I think he meant 360.
[snapback]54493[/snapback]
no, turn it 90 degrees and observe his reaction.
he's either looking or listening (probably looking)
doing something stupidly obvious will cause him to react. his reaction will help pinpoint the thing that he is lookig for/at

December 08, 2005, 11:05:59 AM
Reply #17

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
I think he meant 360.
[snapback]54493[/snapback]
no, turn it 90 degrees and observe his reaction.
he's either looking or listening (probably looking)
doing something stupidly obvious will cause him to react. his reaction will help pinpoint the thing that he is lookig for/at
[snapback]54503[/snapback]

for example, if he makes a confused face and then cocks his head to one side, theres something on that side that is the indicator.
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

December 08, 2005, 04:55:33 PM
Reply #18

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I think it has something to do with what is on the card itself cause when we dont move the cards he looks at them really hard so he must be looking for something on the card.

But i am not to sure what i spent some more time looking at the cards, and yes we did you s different deck same results. And the backs of the card dont matter cause he doesnt even bother looking at that.

December 09, 2005, 12:44:09 AM
Reply #19

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Shape of the card, have you checked that? I have a deck of cards designed for tricks, and one edge is ever so slightly tapered.