Poll

Will you go see it?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GO SEE SERENITY  (Read 4395 times)

September 30, 2005, 12:56:24 PM
Read 4395 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
I semi-promise!

Some schmucks at someplace called the NY Times is saying this is better than all the SW prequels. Hrm, that's not saying much, but then again, the space opera genre has been sadly missrepresented in theatres as of late.

I'm really curious to see what non-Firefly fanatics think of the movie, as anything I have to say about it is totally suspect.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

September 30, 2005, 01:16:17 PM
Reply #1

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I haven't watched Firefly, though I've heard only good things about it and Serenity. I think I'll go see it this weekend.

September 30, 2005, 05:02:56 PM
Reply #2

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I have no idea whatsoever what this is. I have never heard of that movie. I just hear a lot of people talking about it all of a sudden. It's based on a television series or something?

September 30, 2005, 07:37:30 PM
Reply #3

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Yeah, it was a sci-fi series that only lasted something like 15 episodes on the Fox network. I'm guessing that it attracted a cult following, though unlike Family Guy, it wasn't revived by huge DVD sales.

October 01, 2005, 12:52:55 AM
Reply #4

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
oh dear god, I wet myself when I saw it.
if anyone DARES to spoil it, they can say hello to my firey wrath like none has seen yet!
believe me, its THAT good.
oh, and make sure you see the series first, else you wont get half the movie.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 12:53:33 AM by Vinegar Ninja »

October 01, 2005, 08:57:36 AM
Reply #5

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, it was a sci-fi series that only lasted something like 15 episodes on the Fox network. I'm guessing that it attracted a cult following, though unlike Family Guy, it wasn't revived by huge DVD sales.
[snapback]53809[/snapback]
This movie is the revival of firefly, new episodes of the series to follow on the sci-fi network. I think the internet revived firefly, although I can't remember for sure, there was something on sci-fi telling about it awhile back.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

October 01, 2005, 09:59:28 AM
Reply #6

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
no, its not new episodes, its just the same old ones.
At least, thats what I hope....

October 01, 2005, 03:14:07 PM
Reply #7

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
seen it. <3
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 03:14:22 PM by confused! »
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

October 01, 2005, 04:26:29 PM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Just an FYI, i'm a HUUGE firefly fan, not necessarily a whedon fan (buffy etc, not my cup o tea).

In regards to the movie, here's how it went down. Universal, on merit of the show/writing/cast sorta has Joss do some work and perhaps do the initial stages of making a movie. They were a YEAR into the process when the Firefly dvd set sold tons and tons of copies, which basically, I think, tipped the scales from "We're pretty sure we'll make this movie" to "Green light".
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 02, 2005, 01:51:22 AM
Reply #9

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Just watched through Firefly for the first time yesterday.
Loved it.
Definitely going to attempt to get out and see the movie..

October 02, 2005, 03:23:29 PM
Reply #10

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
also, if any one finds it i desire a picture of teh red octopus creature from this movie. you know the one.

i plan on making t-shirts with the stupid thing and the not mandatory text behind it.
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

October 04, 2005, 07:57:05 AM
Reply #11

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
also, if any one finds it i desire a picture of teh red octopus creature from this movie. you know the one.

i plan on making t-shirts with the stupid thing and the not mandatory text behind it.
[snapback]53845[/snapback]
There is no RED OCTOPUS CREATURE in this movie!!
-Richard Feynman

October 07, 2005, 03:56:32 PM
Reply #12

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I've never seen Firefly but I loved Serenity. It was great how the captain acted like someone would really act in such situations. I found it extremely refreshing to have a character like that to enjoy, instead of watching someone make the same old stupid decisions and act the same stupid way in every single movie with action ever.

Great story, effects, humor, action. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

October 11, 2005, 03:07:19 PM
Reply #13

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think it was a pretty good movie, gotta love the cap'n XD

now to watch some great old school firefly to refresh my memory, since it's been ages since that aired (or seems like ages.. i dont remember... /me goes to check)

hmph.. yeah... its been 3 years, i remember when i'd actually be like oommmg tonight firefly's on!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 03:10:59 PM by Anarki3x6 »
-_^

October 16, 2005, 01:59:39 PM
Reply #14

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Finally saw the movie, two weeks after release. I gotta say, even though I didn't watch the show, I really liked this movie. I loved how they put some funny lines to add a bit of comedy to the plot.

Oh, and is it just me, or is everyone in the Firefly universe insanely tough to kill? I'm not going to ruin it, but damn, they can take some serious beatings.

My only real issue with the movie, which can probably be expected, is that it starts off as really confusing for people who haven't seen the show. I didn't know why they were on that mission. Also, I got the feeling that the Shepherd Book guy had some significance, but it wasn't really explained.

Now I have to watch the show to understand it.

EDIT: Also, I loved the part with the operative guy and the swarm of Reaver ships. Seeing him flustered was pretty funny.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:00:47 PM by Manta »

October 16, 2005, 02:54:45 PM
Reply #15

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
watching the tv show helps, cuz you know the crew better and what kind of people they are overall.

Ive been watching Firefly for the past couple days, got done with 7 episodes already, and cant wait to watch more since alot of the last episodes werent aired so i never saw em :D

if you liked the movie and never saw the show, then you'll be blown away as to how much ass firefly kicks.
-_^

October 16, 2005, 06:56:34 PM
Reply #16

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I really, really liked how everything wasn't all sleek, but rather ordinary and sometimes beaten-up, and not everybody talked in perfect, crisp English. I loved the mix of Chinese tossed in with the English, as well as usage of slang, accents, and dialect.

Spoiler below if you haven't seen it:

EDIT2: Sorry, I thought you meant no spoilers without warning, which is what I'm used to.  >_<

vinnie edit 2: its cool man, but you did give away major plotlines with little warning. Gotta save the movie for those who havnt seen it :p
EDIT: River's expressions were goofy.[/COLOR]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:30:50 PM by Vinegar Ninja »