Author Topic: Why the SourceForts server quite honestly sucks  (Read 3531 times)

August 28, 2005, 11:39:51 PM
Read 3531 times

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
I was over on Free SunnyD today, and was horrified to see that it was so badly set up that it was virtually unplayable.

First of all, gravity was WAY too high, making it virtually impossible to navigate even slightly rough terrain. Some of the maps have bumpy terrain, and what were normally little bumps to jump over became insurpassable obstacles! This is, quite honestly, stupid. Set the gravity back to normal!

The second problem is in the server's network setup. The sv_maxrate seems to be way too low, as I was getting mad choke at anything over cl_updaterate 20. Even setting it down to 20 wasn't enough; while this eliminated most of the choke (Was still seeing 20% choke even at cl_updaterate 20), the server was still laggy as hell.

To be honest, trying to play on the server was so frustrating due to the incredible lag and rediculous gravity, that I will not be playing on Free SunnyD until it is resolved. Until then, regular Lunixmonster NS and non-broken SourceForts servers for me :)

August 29, 2005, 12:42:00 AM
Reply #1

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm really not liking sourceforts in its current state.

It's just the idea of building the most impenatrable fortress so its a very slim chance you'll ever get to the other persons flag, much less bring it back.  Not very fun at all IMO.

Now if there was something that encouraged teamwork like an much improved audio codec and high voice quality, along with better teamplay game mechanics... then that might be a different issue.

For instance, code in a system like NS 3.1 is using that has "follow me" or "over here" icons above their head and a audible alert so others know what to do.  Right now its just normal deathmatch with some laggy physboxs and low fps.

August 29, 2005, 01:19:15 PM
Reply #2

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I haven't noticed any movement problems with the too high of grav, nor have I noticed any lag because my FPS is too bad to notice anything at all. These are tiny issues compared to how broken the mod is though, it's way too easy to crash the server and we have had to block weapons just so it crashes a *little* less often. I don't mind reseting the server though :p.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 29, 2005, 01:27:34 PM
Reply #3

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
concerning gravity, well that's how the game is. you can climb stuff with a duck-jump. The lag troubles, that's part of the mods bugs and stuff, not much we can do on our part... well we could run a neoforts server, but that's stolen code.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:28:19 PM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 29, 2005, 02:06:53 PM
Reply #4

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
concerning gravity, well that's how the game is. you can climb stuff with a duck-jump. The lag troubles, that's part of the mods bugs and stuff, not much we can do on our part... well we could run a neoforts server, but that's stolen code.
[snapback]53178[/snapback]
Nonono dhp, our grav was at 800 hl2 default is 600, thus we have a higher grav than normal. What I don't understand is how he even noticed lolol.

August 29, 2005, 05:09:05 PM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
because. HES FROM OUTER SPAEC OMG :o

but unfortunetly I can't play on the sunnyd server if theres more then 3-4 people on. Mianly because my fps goes from max 15...to like 2, and thats not even when the round starts  :wacko:  but the lag too is a slight problem

August 29, 2005, 05:13:38 PM
Reply #6

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
The server's maxrate is DOUBLE what the LM one is.  I have not heard of anyone other then you having problems with it, therefore.. its clientside.

As far as the gravity, valve decided to change the default on me, but again, you are the first one who has noticed, we had two developers playing for about a week, neither noticed.  And it made it by NO way hard to navigate the map, maybe different the normal, but there is no reason that any map would be hard to navigate.

August 30, 2005, 04:07:55 AM
Reply #7

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
My ping will jump to 500 if I remain on the Sunny D server for some reason...  I'm hoping that it's related to the SF build...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 31, 2005, 08:56:00 PM
Reply #8

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
My ping will jump to 500 if I remain on the Sunny D server for some reason...  I'm hoping that it's related to the SF build...
[snapback]53199[/snapback]
Yeah my SF sometimes freezes up my PC forcing me to reboot, last happened when the rebels were pixel bushes!