Author Topic: where is everyone?  (Read 7333 times)

August 27, 2005, 09:00:08 AM
Read 7333 times

BlaqWolf

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
i just recently moved into my dorm here at u of m ( :D ) and got my new internet connection...

ya see, i've completely stopped playing ns lately. not because i dislike the game, but because my internet connection just would not allow (you really cant play that game on 56k comfortably...).

so now, here at the university of michigan, they supply us with a really frickin fast connection. so i got all giddy and excited to play ns again. but no one's on the server... where is everyone? is there some new uber secret hidden lunixmonster i dont know about or has everyone in this community just lost interest?

I WANNA PLAY NOW
*In Soviet Russia, armory humps you!

August 27, 2005, 09:20:16 AM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
There's SourceForts :)
And LM has been empty for the past week or so... downtime of NS in my opinion, it'll come back up soon. Maybe when school starts and everyone returns from their vacations or something... or when 3.1 is released. Something'll happen.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

August 27, 2005, 09:25:12 AM
Reply #2

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Woah, do you get internet in your dorm room? I'm applying at UM for next fall.

Yeah, NS has been empty lately. People play SourceForts mainly, I think.

August 27, 2005, 12:49:36 PM
Reply #3

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
When 3.1 is realeased i'm sure it will be packed again for a while.

August 27, 2005, 01:03:49 PM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Yeah. Hopefully, they'll get the site and forums back up by then, too. I kind of doubt that they'll release 3.1 without the rest of the site.

And like 2_of_8 has said before, the servers will fill up because the school year's starting again for many players. I kind of miss the days of watching the player count for 15/17.

August 27, 2005, 01:06:02 PM
Reply #5

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]53119[/snapback]
Yes, of course you do at U of M. Don't you get internet in most dorms?
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 27, 2005, 02:00:14 PM
Reply #6

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
downtime of NS in my opinion
[snapback]53118[/snapback]
It's not an opinion it's a fact.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 28, 2005, 07:30:51 AM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
[snapback]53119[/snapback]
Yes, of course you do at U of M. Don't you get internet in most dorms?
[snapback]53122[/snapback]

Wouldn't know off the top of my head, but I guess that makes sense.

August 28, 2005, 11:01:28 AM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
[snapback]53128[/snapback]
Ok, so it's a downtime of NS for a fact. Big deal? No reason to start wondering what other game to switch LM to. Downtimes end and players come back... give it time.

And seriously, (links follow)pay attention to what players want. Because if they don't get it, they won't be playing here - and the usual "our way or the highway" isn't working, because too many people are choosing the highway.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

August 28, 2005, 05:03:04 PM
Reply #9

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]53128[/snapback]
Ok, so it's a downtime of NS for a fact. Big deal? No reason to start wondering what other game to switch LM to. Downtimes end and players come back... give it time.

And seriously, (links follow)pay attention to what players want. Because if they don't get it, they won't be playing here - and the usual "our way or the highway" isn't working, because too many people are choosing the highway.
[snapback]53151[/snapback]
Well, the thing is, the down times always come back and have been coming back for the same damn reasons every time. I don't remember CS ever having big down times and that game is pretty bland yet people can enjoy the bland gameplay for years straight, I know I did. NS has only ever been fun for a few months at a time and then the "this always win unless this happens" gets really damn tiring.

Round times aren't that big of an issue, especially since most people only want to knock off 5 minutes which isn't that big of a difference. It also seems to be that it's more of a "all of NS maps suck so we don't like to play them much" but really there's only like 2 or 3 good maps in all of NS and playing those over and over again all day gets really really boring.

When we allowed votes, everyone always started a vote at the start of every map. Res slotters like votes way too much. Also, when NS was going quite strong the server would fill up with *co* players, as in when it changed to ns_ half the players would leave. If you've got 8 players in the server play for 10 minutes it will be full with an ns_ map unless you have one of the really bad ones(which there are like five of).

Structure blocking was just swiftspear talking, which was basically "well can we do it?" "No, that's being a llama" "CAL doesn't say it's being a llama!" "Well this isnt CAL so seeing as it's that type of argument *locked*" although basically the reason we don't allow structure blocking is because if you need to do it you're still gonna lose because it just prolongs the game. If you win with structure blocking you could have won without the blocking just fine(unless it was a specific area on specific maps).

CO Timelimit is a valid issue yes, but we don't want LM to get known as a good combat server. We want to attract classic players moreso than combat players, but that doesn't mean we don't want players who like both. I will say that I've only ever enjoyed combat with at least 10 players and a longer time limit myself, and the more modified the combat the more fun I've had just because "epic" battles for an hour straight is a hell of a lot of fun.

Altair is bad yes, but most of the maps are goddamn terrible so we would have to get rid of more than just altair. I myself only pretty much like caged and tanith anymore,  my old favorite maps were "balanced" which pretty much ruined all the fun on those(bast, nothing, etc). Well I do enjoy playing veil sometimes too, even though it's the only map I can command and win on(whoever says that it is a balanced map is a goddamn liar, marines have a cakewalk.)

No mines in an active or building hive is a LOT easier to enforce than "no mines in an active hive" just because someone could be mining up the hive and it *goes active* and continue doing so. This isn't much of an issue though, just because if there's a hive going up you can take it down before reinforcements arrive, I've done it with one other player countless times before easily and I can't aim for crap. The main issue is fades/lerks defending that building hive and mines aren't going to do much against them, just kills the skulks who don't pay attention to where they are running.

August 28, 2005, 07:52:34 PM
Reply #10

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
cal recently banned CC blocking, and thank God for that.  I still think you should acctually make a rule about it if you intend to block it, like every other organization on the face of the earth.

The thing is, if I make a serious suggestion and the response it lock/tempban, well who is going to support that suggestion after that?  if there is public support you need to give it time to prop up, that topic was locked instantly.

The timelimit thread wasn't about Co timelimits, it was about NS timelimits.  Your average game lasts about 13-16 minutes in NS, and no one wants to spend another round on that map after 13 minutes of ass raping, yet the alternitive is sitting on the server doing dick all for 2 minutes.  If the time limit was pushed back then we would have a clean ten minute game and not be stuck on the same boring map after it's finished.  This isn't cal, very few people want to/will facilite a match and then rematch with team switch.

[edit] for the record, I think NS on the HL engine is pretty much dead...  Sure we'll see a revival with 3.1 and the eventual my games move if that ever happens, but as it stands most of the players who made this game what it is have moved on and don't really want a revival.  They are done playing with this game.  I don't think NS will ever be quite what it once was again, but I'll still be sticking around, because this is the comunity that made me, and I have nothing better to do.

For the record, source forts is a damn fun game, and of all the games lunixmonster could have picked up, I'm glad you went for source forts.  The version in BT right now is liquid awesome, can't wait till I'm allowed to say more about it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:57:01 AM by Lightning Blue »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 28, 2005, 09:20:50 PM
Reply #11

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
[edit] for the record, I think NS on the HL engine is pretty much dead... Sure we'll see a revival with 3.1 and the eventual my games move if that ever happens, but as it stands most of the players who made this game what it is have moved on and don't really want a revival. They are done playing with this game. I don't think NS will ever be quite what it once was again, but I'll still be sticking around, because this is the comunity that made me, and I have nothing better to do.

Even the month revival after 3.1 and my games its still going to be a dead mod.  IMO 3.1 really isn't to terribly great, its got some "gee whiz" neat features but nothing that really radically changes the mod and goes back to the same patterns that we play now.  

I am just hoping the eventual move to source will be able to keep it basically the same at least initially.  But it still won't be the same as the HL NS, but i'm sure it will still be good.  I am really hoping that with the new engine the dev team can somehow get the story and atmosphere back into the game either through better gameplay mechanics or some sort of radical addition... like story mode or something.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:57:33 AM by Lightning Blue »

August 29, 2005, 05:43:29 AM
Reply #12

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If the server would be on combat while under a certain number of players, then it would actually be fun to get games started. Rather than waiting for the aliens to win a small game of ns.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

August 29, 2005, 01:35:37 PM
Reply #13

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The timelimit thread wasn't about Co timelimits, it was about NS timelimits.

and I have nothing better to do.

For the record, source forts is a damn fun game, and of all the games lunixmonster could have picked up, I'm glad you went for source forts.  The version in BT right now is liquid awesome, can't wait till I'm allowed to say more about it.

[snapback]53162[/snapback]
There were two timelimit threads, one was about map timelimit the other was about CO roundlimit, I think I used a few of the wrong words to describe what I was speaking of there, so I'll reread what I post next time around(lololol).

This is exactly why NS could be so great, there are no games to play. BF2 is well EA so people are still getting lots of graphical errors and the game hasn't changed much at all from previous forms except it has squads and a commander who can TK you with artillery :D.

I think the only reason we went with sourceforts is because of the constant badgering of "omg lets play sourceforts guys" by a few specific users, and then us all trying it and wanted a server up so dev was all "LOL NOBODY PLAYS ON LM LETS TRY THIS ^_^" or something. It's also nice that dev is trying to fix the broke-ass version we all have to play :p. I mean last night(early morning) I was trying to play SF on FSD with a friend and it repeatedly crashed client side and his sys specs are quite high and his windows is a near fresh install with no other game having this problem. I myself blame half the crashing on steam/hl2 though.

If the server would be on combat while under a certain number of players, then it would actually be fun to get games started. Rather than waiting for the aliens to win a small game of ns.
[snapback]53168[/snapback]
This is actually a good idea for a down period like this, when NS is going strong I am against the notion because there are a lot more combat-only players. With the amount of people playing NS right now I can easily state that if they're combat only they're playing on the 32 player custom servers right now.

August 29, 2005, 07:29:00 PM
Reply #14

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Thank you fool for explaining all that... not that I necessarily agree to your views, but at least you explained them for each topic. That's what I'd like to see more of.

August 30, 2005, 04:04:17 AM
Reply #15

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
The timelimit thread wasn't about Co timelimits, it was about NS timelimits.

and I have nothing better to do.

For the record, source forts is a damn fun game, and of all the games lunixmonster could have picked up, I'm glad you went for source forts.  The version in BT right now is liquid awesome, can't wait till I'm allowed to say more about it.

[snapback]53162[/snapback]
There were two timelimit threads, one was about map timelimit the other was about CO roundlimit, I think I used a few of the wrong words to describe what I was speaking of there, so I'll reread what I post next time around(lololol).

This is exactly why NS could be so great, there are no games to play. BF2 is well EA so people are still getting lots of graphical errors and the game hasn't changed much at all from previous forms except it has squads and a commander who can TK you with artillery :D.

I think the only reason we went with sourceforts is because of the constant badgering of "omg lets play sourceforts guys" by a few specific users, and then us all trying it and wanted a server up so dev was all "LOL NOBODY PLAYS ON LM LETS TRY THIS ^_^" or something. It's also nice that dev is trying to fix the broke-ass version we all have to play :p. I mean last night(early morning) I was trying to play SF on FSD with a friend and it repeatedly crashed client side and his sys specs are quite high and his windows is a near fresh install with no other game having this problem. I myself blame half the crashing on steam/hl2 though..
[snapback]53179[/snapback]
Acctually the SF client is also still unstable as hell.  I can't even boot a listen without crashing in 1.4 and tonnes of players have complained on the SF forums ages ago.  We're lucky we haven't had more major problems in this comunity with it.  BTW 1.9 is in full fledged beta testing right now... VERY hot, and in my opinion it feels very close to a release assuming nothing goes horribly wrong.  One of the other things I like about SF is the dev team is still very on the ball, and still full of ideas for the mod, something I haven't felt in NS for a long time... but then again what little hearsay I've heard about nexus makes me start to think that that may change in the future...  It should open up alot of possibilities.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 30, 2005, 09:55:12 AM
Reply #16

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
I think both servers could be saved by a little ns-army men cartoon-age.

Bryan

oddly enough i think one of the funes parts of these games it watching them develop. seem to lose intrest just as all the bugs get worked out. But then we (as in me) seem to stat with developing games for years vs. finished games we (agian me)  only seem to play for a couple of months.
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

August 31, 2005, 09:01:25 PM
Reply #17

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Thank you fool for explaining all that... not that I necessarily agree to your views, but at least you explained them for each topic. That's what I'd like to see more of.
[snapback]53188[/snapback]

I do it a lot when I get around to reading the forums >_>, you don't have to agree either I mean I can't force you to vote Fewl for president unless I HOLD YOUR MOTHER HOSTAGE AND DEMAND YOU VOTE FOR ME(which I totally didn't do... yet).

Bryan I have to agree with you, when you see the developers more you get to like them  and want to support them more then people you have never even heard of over the internets. Games which are slowly developed and users are allowed to play while it is being developed are also more fun for a longer period of time because they could change/add features which make the game more fun(or break LOLOL!)

August 31, 2005, 09:10:48 PM
Reply #18

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The game is continuously (sp) added to with new features almost every version... maybe balance or stuff like in 3.1... it all makes some fresh gameplay.

August 31, 2005, 09:51:45 PM
Reply #19

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
[snapback]53188[/snapback]

I do it a lot when I get around to reading the forums >_>, you don't have to agree either I mean I can't force you to vote Fewl for president unless I HOLD YOUR MOTHER HOSTAGE AND DEMAND YOU VOTE FOR ME(which I totally didn't do... yet).

Bryan I have to agree with you, when you see the developers more you get to like them  and want to support them more then people you have never even heard of over the internets. Games which are slowly developed and users are allowed to play while it is being developed are also more fun for a longer period of time because they could change/add features which make the game more fun(or break LOLOL!)
[snapback]53262[/snapback]

after reading my Dr. Pepper indused blabbering im inpressed you made cents of any of it.

Bryan

Fewl for president

1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.