Author Topic: Google Talk  (Read 6143 times)

August 24, 2005, 09:39:49 AM
Read 6143 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
http://www.google.com/talk/

Twas released this morning.  I've played around with it a bit - it seems really nice.

August 24, 2005, 09:52:18 AM
Reply #1

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Woah, I like it. It notifies you and allows you to check your email in a click. Haven't tried out the voice message thing yet, though.

August 24, 2005, 09:58:22 AM
Reply #2

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Got it today, looks cool. So uh... post your gmail's here?
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

August 24, 2005, 10:19:41 AM
Reply #3

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah it was up last night too lololol, I like it because it's like MSN messenger without all the ads and the bloat. Although if I could customize the color scheme I would be happy.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 24, 2005, 11:27:05 AM
Reply #4

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Looks cool. I'm gonna check it out.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 24, 2005, 12:37:08 PM
Reply #5

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I dislike the fact it has no full logging options, just a temp log where stuff doesn't go away when you close the chat window. I look things up in logs so often this makes me sad :( They need to add such an option.

August 24, 2005, 01:57:44 PM
Reply #6

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Go tell them, they'll do it. You won't believe how responsive the Google staff are.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

August 24, 2005, 04:18:02 PM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So what makes this the hot instant messenger that will rule them all and in the darkness bind them? It's got a lot of competition out there, competition with an established userbase. Why do I want to switch from <other IM> to this one?

August 24, 2005, 05:00:47 PM
Reply #8

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Im afraid nothing really yet, LF. Though they say somewhere on there that they are working on having it support connecting to other services with it.

August 24, 2005, 05:36:54 PM
Reply #9

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
The only advantage to using this would be to have easy notification of your email if you use Gmail. You could do the same thing with POP, which Gmail supports, but I guess they wanted to make a package specifically for Google related stuff.

August 24, 2005, 06:19:42 PM
Reply #10

Guest Bacon

• Lerker

• View Profile
Im afraid nothing really yet, LF. Though they say somewhere on there that they are working on having it support connecting to other services with it.
[snapback]53066[/snapback]

This is already possible with Jabber (the protocol they are using). I dont know why Google didnt take advantage of this right away.

August 24, 2005, 07:44:28 PM
Reply #11

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
So what makes this the hot instant messenger that will rule them all and in the darkness bind them? It's got a lot of competition out there, competition with an established userbase. Why do I want to switch from <other IM> to this one?
[snapback]53065[/snapback]
I like the plain, ad-free interface, the quick startups, and... yeah. There isn't much to like for now, but maybe that fact in itself is something that would draw people to it.

August 24, 2005, 09:58:39 PM
Reply #12

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yeah like quarter said, its nice, quick and simple, and it works good.
-_^

August 24, 2005, 11:59:20 PM
Reply #13

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah I hate *all* the other Instant messengers out there, but everyone I know uses them(meaning aim) but hey now I can monitor two email addresses thanks to gmail notifier which runs great while googletalk is on.

Google Talk appears to be only using 7,260 K of my memory right now too, which is less than gmail notifier(9,828 K). This is only 1,000 K more than the version of aim I'm using right now which is good to know, I remember MSN using a bit more but I cba to check.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 25, 2005, 12:10:06 AM
Reply #14

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
my MSN uses 22.112kB, though my googletalk only uses 6.336.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 25, 2005, 08:26:08 AM
Reply #15

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
IIRC, google talk uses the Jabber protocol, an open standard to allow any IM to hook into it. ICQ, msn, aim, yahoo all use proprietary protocols to hinder interoperability.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 25, 2005, 09:27:41 AM
Reply #16

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Bad thing is that my corporate firewall still blocks it :/
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

August 25, 2005, 10:28:05 AM
Reply #17

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]53066[/snapback]
Hopefully. That would be my main reason for using it (I don't really like Trillian).

August 29, 2005, 05:47:41 AM
Reply #18

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Hey, what's wrong with Trillian?
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

August 29, 2005, 01:13:24 PM
Reply #19

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, the baisc version sucks, IMO, and I don't want to pay for the pro version. And I just don't like the layout, etc.