Author Topic: The Amazing 'post Your Desktop' Thread  (Read 17916 times)

January 20, 2004, 06:07:03 PM
Reply #40

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[...]Console Exclusive is as good a reason to hate it as x-box x-clusive[...]
Well yeah, in that neither is a good one at all. If you hate it for being exclusive, you've got your disaffections messed up: Actually, you love the game, you just hate the developer.

January 20, 2004, 06:39:26 PM
Reply #41

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[...]Console Exclusive is as good a reason to hate it as x-box x-clusive[...]
Well yeah, in that neither is a good one at all. If you hate it for being exclusive, you've got your disaffections messed up: Actually, you love the game, you just hate the developer.
Okay well:

1) Like Grand Theft Auto, Starcraft was concieved on, built on, and born for the PC. Console only (Like GTA, or at least making PC gamers wait one extra year on it) is downright insulting. These little 14 year old wannabees who think they're a 'h4rdc0r3 h4xx0r g4m0r' because they play their XBOX LIVE 14 hours a day deserve nothing more then a kick in the face. Consoles are knockoff "PC-Lite" systems for people too stupid, lazy, or poor to run a computer themselves, I don't see why a publisher feels they're 'worth more' then PC gamers who are repsonsible for starcraft even surviving in the FIRST PLACE.

Summed up: Blizzard has basically squatted on the entire PC gaming community and dropped a Cleveland Steamer.

2) The game looks corney as well. Look at the screenshots, the protoss are about 5 and a half feet tall (in game and cinematic they're about 8), and horribly disproportioned. The game looks like a really bad joke. The zerg are pathetic, they look like plush toys, for the love of god. Look at half-life 2 and Doom 3... yeah, now which looks better? A flattextured zerg with generic 'brown' coloring, or the antlion's carapace reflecting sunlight off its bumpmapped... bumps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 06:53:23 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 20, 2004, 06:41:13 PM
Reply #42

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I don't dislike WoW, I just think it's massively over-hyped and on railway tracks off a large cliff of disappointment.  Everyone's going 'omg! blizzard made it! it must be good!'.  Like U235 I immediately thought of D and DII and dismissed the silly fanpersonism immediately.

Then I saw the video... oh... my... god... could they have made combat look any more amazingly dull?  It makes 2 cavemen taking turns to hit each other over the head look complicated -.-

January 21, 2004, 04:10:10 AM
Reply #43

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Woo! Starcraft Ghost!

I <3 my X-Box.

FIX THIS!

January 21, 2004, 08:14:06 AM
Reply #44

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Take it to the console discussion thread, you bickering faboys (and fan of indeterminate gender) this thread is for desktoppage! I notice quite a few of you haven't posted anything... When I start handing out cookies, you'll be sorry that you don't get one!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 21, 2004, 10:47:20 AM
Reply #45

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
OMGOMGOMG

This is my laptop's desktop.
I mainly use my laptop for programming, and watching anime.
I bring it to school for work sometimes,

:o
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

January 21, 2004, 04:47:33 PM
Reply #46

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I give you version 2 (56k warning, about 1mb) of my desktop :)
Now I just have a few icons to remove :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 04:49:00 PM by devicenull »

January 21, 2004, 07:59:45 PM
Reply #47

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
hmm , this is my current desktop . . . i decided to go with bleak and bland o_O

http://www.geocities.com/websiteofthefour/DesktopWOOT.JPG
-_^

January 21, 2004, 10:39:35 PM
Reply #48

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I give you version 2 (56k warning, about 1mb) of my desktop :)
Now I just have a few icons to remove :)
Sweetness. You can put the recyc bin on the address bar and empty it from there. Let me know if you find the executable command for empty recycle bin, I'd love to make that a link and get the thing out of the taskbar. The other icons, meh, who needs 'em. You can put links to the exact same stuff on the desktop.

January 22, 2004, 03:55:19 PM
Reply #49

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Yeah.. I'm a nub and decided to try that active desktop crap..
So far it has only proved to annoy the hell out of me. I mean, its great.. but I can't seem to set paramaters on my programs.. no -console for won HL... No -developer 1 for COD.. and so on. Then there is my LAN.. can't find a good way to link to that...
Can't find a way to link to my recyle bin..
Yeah.. pretty much stuck on trying to figure out stuff.. So.. I'll post mine.. when I figure it out..
Help is always appriciated.. =/

January 22, 2004, 04:09:55 PM
Reply #50

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Command line switches require a special format for typing them in. It's been so long since I did mine that I've forgotten what they were... When I get home I'll post the correct way to fix it. If you want a quick and dirty fix, create a seperate shortcut to the program you're trying to run, add the switches to that shortcut, then make ANOTHER shortcut to that shortcut and run the second shortcut off the desktop... I told you it was pretty dirty.

January 22, 2004, 05:55:03 PM
Reply #51

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Oh well.. I got bored and decided to migrate to a different version of tsDesk... a more annoying one at that...
But annoyances aside.. it looks pretty damn cool.
edit: Finally finished all that damn coding.. it now weighs in at a hefty 6 megs of memory  :o
Edit again: my old desktop can be found here
Which one looks better?  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 07:22:47 PM by ANeM »

January 22, 2004, 06:25:56 PM
Reply #52

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
God it's so irritating when people censor their program, like anyone would really give a **** what it says, and like you're pretending to be a 'l33t h4x0r!'. Seriously, what the hell is the point? From the number of people that I see do it in 'post your desktop' threads, I'm 100% convinced you're all faking your 'illegal softwarez!!!'

NOTE I don't mean censoring buddylists, that makes sense (except censoring your name in MSN messenger... because your name means nothing in that program :D)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:30:38 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 22, 2004, 07:03:01 PM
Reply #53

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You never know when the feds might come...must be ever watchful. I don't feel like uploading my desktop. It's very simple though: has two icons (Recycle Bin and Files). The desktop itself is just a portion of the cover of the Thirteenth Step album (the face of a woman with that slug-like animal on it). It's also inverted color-wise.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 22, 2004, 07:29:30 PM
Reply #54

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
(the face of a woman with that slug-like animal on it)
A massive, living booger?

January 22, 2004, 07:38:37 PM
Reply #55

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
God it's so irritating when people censor their program, like anyone would really give a **** what it says, and like you're pretending to be a 'l33t h4x0r!'. Seriously, what the hell is the point? From the number of people that I see do it in 'post your desktop' threads, I'm 100% convinced you're all faking your 'illegal softwarez!!!'

NOTE I don't mean censoring buddylists, that makes sense (except censoring your name in MSN messenger... because your name means nothing in that program :D)
U235, you bring up a number of good points. But, you miss a number of reasons why one may want to censor icons/parts of a Desktop screenshot.
1) someone on MSN using their real name as a a screen name. I know a number of people who only give out their emails to close friends, thus it should be okay for them to use their real name, right? Well, I didn't feel like giving out their name to everyone and everything that comes through this thread.
2) If there things in the screen shot that are not allowed on the forums.
Warez for example are not allowed. Thus showing of a picture with a nice big warez folder/warez links lying around isn't the smartest idea.
3)Once again names, if you have, say a link to someones blog or xanga or live journal or whatever on your screen, chances are you have their name in the title. Thus people who wanted to could stole into their xanga/lj/blog whatever and harass them or other things. Not nice thing to do.

Yeah, censoring everything might be bad.. but censoring things that you believe should be censored because its not really something you want to give away or shouldn't be giving away, then yeah.. censor it. I censored my friends names, much like your example of censoring a aim buddy list.

January 22, 2004, 07:41:34 PM
Reply #56

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
U-235: The reason I did that was because its the same thing we can't talk about on IRC, I figured the same rule applied on public forums.

Bob: Yea, it doesn't seem to like commandline stuff, I'm using seperate shortcuts for my hlds stuff, which seems to work fine, although its inconvenient

I'm trying to figure out how to have the number of unread emails on my desktop too.. which means I have to parse the stuff from yahoo main, or code a pop client

January 22, 2004, 08:24:36 PM
Reply #57

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

yay uploadit says jpeg's only! and i thought that i finally had a half-decent free host :(

January 22, 2004, 09:29:39 PM
Reply #58

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
For a second I thought that was cool but the ape-children scare me :D

January 22, 2004, 10:43:04 PM
Reply #59

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
stuff in bm's systray:

1 - trillian
2 - norton
3 - sysmetrix the thing up top that says that i idle at 62% of 512MB
4 - firewall
5 - winamp
6 - quicktime
7 - proxomitron
8 - hotmail popper (app that lets me check my hotmail account with thunderbird, a pop3 email client ... omh h4x. yes, i love not having to look at hotmail's fugly ui)
9 - scrollock off
10 - capslock off
11 - numlock on
12 - volume muted
13 - i know you can see the other three keyboard icons, but i'm here to tell you that your wireless keyboard software is on

do i win?