Author Topic: Half-life\NS is VAC2 enabled now  (Read 2895 times)

August 08, 2005, 05:56:27 PM
Read 2895 times

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Counter-Strike and Half-Life 1: Engine Update Available
August 8, 2005, 3:55 pm ยท Alfred Reynolds

Updates to Counter-Strike and the Half-Life 1: Engine have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Half-Life 1: Engine

Servers will default to starting up using VAC2

Added "sv_uploadmax" cvar to limit the max size (in MB) a client can use for a custom resource (i.e spray decals)

Added "-sport" command line option to allow you to specify the VAC2 port the server should use

Don't allow servers to execute "alias" commands on clients (prevents an infinite loop exploit using alias commands from servers)

Fixed S2C_CONNREJECT packet exploit causing the game to quit from any currently connected game server (found by Gavin Cotter)

Fixed crash exploit caused by specially crafted packet triggering a crash in the resource upload code (found by Gavin Cotter)

Fixed infinite loop in richtext/textentry control caused by large sets of spaces between words wrapping around line ends (found by Kristian Hermansen)

Fixed possible lockup when refreshing a login ticket

Disabled old style server queries by default.

Already see one secured server in the list :D.  Will lunixmonster be enabling it or is it to much overhead?

August 08, 2005, 06:55:32 PM
Reply #1

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I was just going to start a topic about this.

Honestly, I hope no.  I currently can't play any game that uses VAC2, because of some weird OS/firewall problem that is (hopefully) being worked on by valve now.  Their tech support has told me that it was forwarded to the developers and should be fixed soon.

I also know that there are vac2 proof cheats now, so I don't really know that there is a point to running vac2.  Is cheating that big of a deal on LM that this is a problem?  LM is going empty most of the day now, so is there a point in setting up vac2, and making sure that everything works on the server?  

It's not like this is a CS server where most of the people seem to be cheating.. cheating in NS doesn't seem to be that big of a deal (Come on, we have a built in wallhack, ffs)

I believe that currently VAC2 is in a beta, where they are trying to get rid of connection problems, so its not actually detecting anything.. this is what my srcds displays on startup

Connection to Steam servers successful.
   VAC beta secure mode is activated.

I don't know, I think that the problems dont even make up for what it will provide

August 08, 2005, 11:05:09 PM
Reply #2

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We aren't going to use VAC2.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 11:05:38 PM by StUpId_Fo0L »

I reveal penis I know psychology.