Author Topic: Need smart-ish people  (Read 2319 times)

June 01, 2005, 07:38:43 PM
Read 2319 times

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I find I'm spending more and more time at the PC, mostly listening to my music CDs, when I inserted the bonus music/dvd disc bundled with the ROTS soundtrack.

While the DVD played, there was no sound. At. All.

Curious, I've  inserted several DVDs but for whatever reason I cant get any sound out of them!

I installed K Lite Codec pack. Didn't work.
Tried updating WMP, didnt work.
Downloaded SHERLOCK, which only found a problem with MMSWITCH.AX

Downloaded WinDVD, which of course WORKED PERFECTLY.

Can anyone tell me, where am I going wrong, why do my DVDs disrespect RealMedia and WMP but love WinDVD? Is there a way to fix my problem?

All help welcome!
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

June 01, 2005, 09:05:15 PM
Reply #1

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Hmm, what OS?

June 01, 2005, 11:04:25 PM
Reply #2

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
windows is the only os that supports windvd iirc
try media player classic (not the ms product, the OSS media player. it's like the irfanview of audio/video)

June 02, 2005, 10:36:55 AM
Reply #3

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
only thing I can think is that the WinDVD is using it's decoder for playback, and working wonderfully, and WMP and other apps are using another decoder that is conflicting or not working properly. understand when you buy a PC with a DVD drive, WMP does NOT come with a decoder to play DVD's. You must purchase or download (although I don't know of any free DVD players) a DVD software ot play DVD's. Usually, once WinDVD or otherwise is installed, you can use WMP or WINAMP, or any other software, because it will default to the WinDVD decoder. My recommendation is to uninstyall any codecs/software you have for DVD playback, then install WinDVD again, then use whatever program you want. hope that helps...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

June 02, 2005, 03:20:43 PM
Reply #4

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
do you have AC3 filter installed? should be an icon in control panel... if you do have it installed then make sure its settings are correct.. mine randomly set itself to weird combinations of things and made stuff break :/
-_^

June 02, 2005, 05:44:15 PM
Reply #5

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Interestingly after installing WinDVD trial, WMP still REFUSES to give me sound.

I'm on XP Pro.

AC3 filter??

I think the uninstall codec/reinstall method might be the best option. Thanks folks!!
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater