Author Topic: Problem with connecting to the server now  (Read 2665 times)

May 13, 2005, 01:40:21 PM
Read 2665 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I recently replaced my old Linksys router with a new Linksys WRK54G wireless-G router, though I keep my desktop PC attached directly to the router. For some reason though, I can't connect to the server (or any NS server, for that matter) anymore. It gets stuck on "Establishing a network connection" and "Retrying connection". Any advice?

May 13, 2005, 04:21:32 PM
Reply #1

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
open your dmz and try..if you don't know what i'm talking about go to linskys.com and search "turning off DMZ on blahblahrouter" that is just to see if its the router firewall if it is, then you need to forward the ports steam uses to connect to servers, or turn the firewall off and use a software one. software isn't as secure but its alot more flexible..and in all honesty why would anyone hack you?

May 13, 2005, 06:24:08 PM
Reply #2

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
script kiddies do random attacks on random people. You wouldnt be targeted directly, but instead be part of just a random attack. Trust me, it can happen.

May 13, 2005, 07:09:15 PM
Reply #3

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Hmm, how can I find out what ports steam uses?

EDIT: I found out on the Steam website. Unfortunately, when I altered some of the settings and enabled some ports, I found that I could not access my router's settings anymore. When I type in the address, it just times out on the connect. Any ideas?

Oh, and it still didn't work.

Also, I checked the router. The DMZ light is off, meaning that either the DMZ is off or my router's light is broken.

To sum it up, messing with the ports caused this: inability to access my router and the failure of any wireless connections to my wireless router. If anyone could advise me on how to undo this, I'd appreciate it, as I can't seem to change the settings.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 07:56:48 PM by Manta »

May 14, 2005, 12:39:18 AM
Reply #4

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
take the router back, its obviously broken. becuase a)dmz is ON by default b)forwarding ports would not make the whole thing break

May 14, 2005, 06:01:14 AM
Reply #5

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I'll agree with b, but I just managed to get it working again, and DMZ is still off. How can I turn it back on, then?

May 14, 2005, 04:48:31 PM
Reply #6

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
connect to your router, then it should be somewhere in "advanced" then "DMZ" then it will ask for the last number of the router ip address for that computer, just leave it blank since you don't want it disabled. or atleast thats how i do it with my linksys router, i would consult the webpage for proper instruction on your model to advoid any confusion.

May 18, 2005, 01:31:14 PM
Reply #7

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Running custom firmware?  There are a bunch of non-offical firmwares for that router that enable all sorts of nice features, you could try one of them.

before you do that, update to the latest offical firmware.