Author Topic: New Comm tips  (Read 3691 times)

April 25, 2005, 04:30:05 PM
Read 3691 times

Astroman

• Lerker

• View Profile
Alright, here it goes.  I've been playing natural selection for a little while now, and I think i'm fairly decent at the game, but now I want more! I want to comm more than placing 2 IP's and an Armory!  So could you guys 'teach'/give me tips on how to comm? It would be most helpful!  <3

April 25, 2005, 04:31:45 PM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
The Frontiersmen Strategy forum on www.naturalselection.com is quite useful... has a compiled list of guides, many for comming - even on specific maps.
At first, it may help to play with Marines whom you know - that way, it may be a bit easier skill-wise, and also you probably won't feel as bad after losing :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 25, 2005, 05:35:51 PM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
DL some bots and hop in the chair just to practice dropping everything and learing the build orders of everything, take special note to memorize the hotkeys and try to streamline moving as much as possible.  After that, go to the fronteersman strat forum on the NS site, or there are also tonnes of com stratigy articles around, pretty much every NS website has one hidden away somewhere.  Read one or two until you feel like you really have the hang of the stratigy and build orders involved, then all that is left is to get experiance.  Hop in the chair and fudge around, make sure you are applying your build orders and keep tabs on everything so you always know what nodes you have, you need, and where you are in terms of teching, and then on top of that make sure you respond to EVERY med and ammo request and drop a node ASAP on EVERY order request (The requests pop up on the lower left hand side of your screen, you can either press your jump key or click on the request icons to zoom to the current request) after you have mastered all that to the point where no one complains, get on the ball and follow your marines around medding anyone with low health (at the same time as everything else of course) and dropping RTs and/or structures peemptively, and before you know it, you will be a GREAT COMM!
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

April 25, 2005, 05:50:18 PM
Reply #3

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The Frontiersmen Strategy forum on www.naturalselection.com is quite useful... has a compiled list of guides, many for comming - even on specific maps.
At first, it may help to play with Marines whom you know - that way, it may be a bit easier skill-wise, and also you probably won't feel as bad after losing :)
[snapback]47034[/snapback]
Oh really!? Who made such a stupendous and wonderful index of said guides and facts?!?!
*blinks innocently*
*casts the fishing for compliments reel*

Some newbie comm tips. Watch competent comms who win often. See what works for them. Focus on one map to learn, since strategies to depend on the map.

Get a1 first. Try and start upgrading the armory early (early hmgs are much better fade killers than a smattering of sgs, esp with the new drop off damage).

Focus your marines on whre the alien RTs are. Really rein them in on those. There will always be the random rine who goes caps rts for you, worry more on taking theirs down. Constantly.

Get PGs early, get a forward pg deep into territory ASAP.

Be ready to take down the 2nd hive (building, hopefully) at around 3 ish minutes, Fades around that time too.

Keep focusing you marines on what to do. If youdon't they'll just rambo. This is triply important when the first fade shows it's face.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 25, 2005, 06:39:03 PM
Reply #4

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
A1, shotguns, jetpacks. Ruthless ruthless aggression. Keep shottying down every hive, and the aliens will waste their res trying to cap the hives again.

If you lock down a hive, or two hives, then WAIT.... you will lose. If aliens cant cap a hive, they will go Onos, or Fade, or Lerk, and you will have far bigger problems. So long as a hive is clear, they will try to cap it, and a hive is easier to shotgun down than trying to beat a pack of higher evos with very little to lose.

Let them waste their res rebuilding hives, you can keep shottying them down, and eventually you win the war of attrition (presuming that you've also kept a few nodes yourself AND you're shottying down any rts you find on your way BACK to MS from the hive).
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 26, 2005, 03:23:47 AM
Reply #5

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Beware!
This version at the moment comming is very different from past versions IMO. Alot more pressure is on the commander. So don`t let those grunts get you down if you do try it. At least you are willing to get in the chair.

April 26, 2005, 07:37:58 PM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Scientific hooting tests have proven this version is about 5 times trickier/more demanding/harder than all the previous versions (yes i've commed them all, shushie!).

And nec, i have NO idea where you get this idea sg/jp is the norm. But I can see it as being effective. A hellacious scene of trying to herd cats for the cornmandor.. but.. yeah.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 26, 2005, 07:51:17 PM
Reply #7

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
remember when you had to scream at people to keep together when you gave out HA and the like? its like that now with JPs :p

April 26, 2005, 08:03:06 PM
Reply #8

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Tips? Don't double comm.