Author Topic: Bionic Eyes for Lowcrawler  (Read 5191 times)

April 06, 2005, 02:44:38 AM
Read 5191 times

spinviper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Exitus Acta Probat

April 06, 2005, 06:11:39 AM
Reply #1

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
My gf's dad sponsored a deaf kid who had a chip wired into his brain.  He puts this receiver on the outside of his head which sticks with a magnet (like on the outside of his skull) and he can distinguish sounds now.  Seriously.  It is the most awesome thing ever.

April 06, 2005, 08:00:50 AM
Reply #2

SheenaYanai

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/index2.html
oh dear...  i think ive read that 2 months ago...  <_<

April 06, 2005, 08:14:01 AM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
oh dear...  i think ive read that 2 months ago...  <_<
[snapback]45629[/snapback]

that's because you're in japan. you probably have a robot do your housework too ^^

April 06, 2005, 06:36:52 PM
Reply #4

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Actually I believe its Swiftspear in a robot suit. He mailed himself out to her a while back.

The initial groundwork on this research was done looong ago, and iirc they had a fully functional version that used a 3x3 grid. The subject was able to see an H shape when it was programmed in.

The problem at the time was that you needed a lot more dots to make a recognisable picture. As time has passed, this has become more feasible  :D
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 06, 2005, 06:53:26 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Actually I believe its Swiftspear in a robot suit. He mailed himself out to her a while back.
[snapback]45693[/snapback]
LIES

maby >_>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 06:53:47 PM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

April 06, 2005, 08:55:00 PM
Reply #6

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Haha I wonder what and how he ate.

April 06, 2005, 10:31:31 PM
Reply #7

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://

You never post old things ever.
signature

April 07, 2005, 01:11:07 AM
Reply #8

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Technology keeps movin on.....How you feeling Low?

April 07, 2005, 02:03:36 AM
Reply #9

SheenaYanai

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]45720[/snapback]

:huh:   uhm...  i just mean....  the bionic eye thingie is something like the "star wars kid" of technology.   some months ago you have seen it everywhere...  some weeks later everybody was like....awww...bionic eye..  not again.. uhm..  but how well does this one work now?  the old eye they tested gave you just the view of an 8x8 pixel black and white rasterized image...  you cant really talk about seeing..its more like.. movement recognition... barely barrier recognition ...  you could cognize if it is dark, or bright...  the eye wasnt that spectacular... and

ITS A LASER!!!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:13:45 AM by SheenaYanai »

April 07, 2005, 03:21:37 PM
Reply #10

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
wow these are great! i think ill get a couple, and keep an extra pair in my pocket!!!

OH HEY EVERYONE FREEZE!

LC lost his eyeball hang on.

:D  :D  :D  :D

April 07, 2005, 03:49:55 PM
Reply #11

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile

:huh:   uhm...  i just mean....  the bionic eye thingie is something like the "star wars kid" of technology.   some months ago you have seen it everywhere...  some weeks later everybody was like....awww...bionic eye..  not again.. uhm..  but how well does this one work now?  the old eye they tested gave you just the view of an 8x8 pixel black and white rasterized image...  you cant really talk about seeing..its more like.. movement recognition... barely barrier recognition ...  you could cognize if it is dark, or bright...  the eye wasnt that spectacular... and
you'd be singing a much different tune if you were blind and this was something that would allow you to see ANYTHING. doesnt matter if its the difference between light and dark. It simply means they can see SOMETHING, which is a vast improvement over the absolute zero theyre getting without it. Take a second to think about how good all of us people with normal senses have it.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

April 07, 2005, 07:10:02 PM
Reply #12

SheenaYanai

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

you'd be singing a much different tune if you were blind and this was something that would allow you to see ANYTHING. doesnt matter if its the difference between light and dark. It simply means they can see SOMETHING, which is a vast improvement over the absolute zero theyre getting without it. Take a second to think about how good all of us people with normal senses have it.
[snapback]45787[/snapback]

have i said something against the bionic eye ?  i just said its maybe not seeing in the way you would understand the word seeing...  i mean...  its not even real seeing if they have made not much progress to the last version of it.
you still would need your dog and cane, because the only thing you would experience in your field of view is a blurry interpretation of the original sensor feed that looks like that..

April 08, 2005, 06:30:59 AM
Reply #13

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site

[snapback]45787[/snapback]

have i said something against the bionic eye ?  i just said its maybe not seeing in the way you would understand the word seeing...  i mean...  its not even real seeing if they have made not much progress to the last version of it.
you still would need your dog and cane, because the only thing you would experience in your field of view is a blurry interpretation of the original sensor feed that looks like that..
[snapback]45802[/snapback]
Indeed, but there has been some progress made.  They are using a camera to take imput signals now and they have developed ways to creat more then B&W colors.  Also they are saying that even though they haven't managed to do so yet, they are most likely going to be able to manufacture these things at MUCH higher resolutions then 8 by 8.  It would be pretty frigging cool if you were able to directly plug into a monitor port or something so you could game with no monitor...

April 08, 2005, 08:47:32 PM
Reply #14

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
k sheena heres the thing.. necrosis is right. Should my condition worsen and i completely lose my sight, i can tell you right now from having spent a lot of time walking around blindfolded (practice :D) that the blurry crosswordpuzzle image thingy would be a great blessing... though its competely impractical, IMO, as the benefits are so minor, it doesnt discount the fact that breakthroughs are being made to help the vision impaired to see again. I have already taken out my contacs for the night and because of my awful vision i am reading the forums and typing this message using a text to speech program...

i challenge you all to this: tomorrow, as it is saturday, if you plan to stay home... go ahead and see what all you can do without your sight. Blindfold yourself and dont peek. Try to do things like cook breakfast... and check your email.

Be thankful.

April 08, 2005, 10:31:41 PM
Reply #15

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I can cook breakfast easy.

Open noodles, find cold tap. Put water into noodles. Nuke in micro until taste cooked.

WOOHAH!

By the way I think you meant cryforme and not Necrosis. Close tho.

There was a blokey I went to Uni with, he had oculocutaneous albinism. It was surreal, because despite the fact he was going slowly blind, he was still trying to get a degree in a biological field. Yet, at the same time, he couldn't even see down a microscope.

:wacko:

I mean, yeah, push the envelope, but at the same time that was someone else's space in university. I mean, if I had both arms amputated, I wouldn't be in a touch typing course. I dunno if that makes sense.

So LC, whats with the eye thing then? Am I missing something here?

Anyhow, iirc 48x48 resolution is enough for signing and basic eye function. Here's a 48x48 sprite of a very familiar torso.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 10:32:32 PM by Necrosis »

April 08, 2005, 11:48:28 PM
Reply #16

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
I can cook breakfast easy.

Open noodles, find cold tap. Put water into noodles. Nuke in micro until taste cooked.

WOOHAH!

By the way I think you meant cryforme and not Necrosis. Close tho.

There was a blokey I went to Uni with, he had oculocutaneous albinism. It was surreal, because despite the fact he was going slowly blind, he was still trying to get a degree in a biological field. Yet, at the same time, he couldn't even see down a microscope.

:wacko:

I mean, yeah, push the envelope, but at the same time that was someone else's space in university. I mean, if I had both arms amputated, I wouldn't be in a touch typing course. I dunno if that makes sense.

So LC, whats with the eye thing then? Am I missing something here?

Anyhow, iirc 48x48 resolution is enough for signing and basic eye function. Here's a 48x48 sprite of a very familiar torso.
[snapback]45871[/snapback]

well its not really a secret, but i havent told EVERYONE until now i guess... my last visit to the optometrist reveals that i am more than just nearsighted... apparentlyi have some sort of degenerative disorder that can cause me to go totally blind. In a nutshell, my eyes will continue to get worse and worse and just not stop, like most people's do eventually. It is unknown wether mine will level out or just keep worsening. If it does advance and i go blind, there is a hcange that even after surgery my eyes will simply revert back to sucktitude.

so thats my situation, im not really all that worried about it.

"therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."

Matthew 6:34

April 09, 2005, 09:00:49 AM
Reply #17

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I've had 20:20 vision all my life, I rely on my sight for everything.  I know for a fact I would be insanely lost without my good vision, when I try to navigate my house when it's extreamly dark or blindfolded I tend to seriously hurt myself increadibly often.  

I have to give you props LC, I would be alot more bummed about it if I thought there was a reasonable chance that I was going blind then you seem to be.  Even if you are one day too sightless to play NS, I hope you still stick around the forums and be awesome like always :D

[edit] necrosis... my microwave doesn't have any way to tell what buttons you are pressing by feel :(. I would still be unable to cook your breakfast.

BTW, this is what a person dressed like subzero standing against a pure white wall would look like to someone with a 48x48 veiwing resolution chip.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 09:06:57 AM by SwiftSpear »

April 09, 2005, 12:25:20 PM
Reply #18

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
I've had 20:20 vision all my life, I rely on my sight for everything.  I know for a fact I would be insanely lost without my good vision, when I try to navigate my house when it's extreamly dark or blindfolded I tend to seriously hurt myself increadibly often. 

I have to give you props LC, I would be alot more bummed about it if I thought there was a reasonable chance that I was going blind then you seem to be.  Even if you are one day too sightless to play NS, I hope you still stick around the forums and be awesome like always :D

[edit] necrosis... my microwave doesn't have any way to tell what buttons you are pressing by feel :(. I would still be unable to cook your breakfast.

BTW, this is what a person dressed like subzero standing against a pure white wall would look like to someone with a 48x48 veiwing resolution chip.
[snapback]45884[/snapback]

i can make eggs/bacon by sound. They pop less when theyre done, and often when im in the IRC im blind.

April 09, 2005, 07:28:13 PM
Reply #19

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think the important message here is that you could STILL play mortal kombat.

Second, if you do go blind, you get to grope people with impunity. I refer you to "Dude, Where's My Car?"

Finally, you get to wear a red outfit and beat up criminals. Fact.