Author Topic: Woot, my first win as a comm  (Read 4393 times)

April 05, 2005, 11:26:04 PM
Read 4393 times

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
well, in a real game at least - or at least thats what I hope.  I'm hoping the alien team wasn't totally inept, so could one of yall stand up and tell me so I don't feel like a complete looser for "being slow" - SlickHunn  ;)

Heck, i'm getting better - this whole comm thing just takes a lot of practice - for me at least - i'm more of a hired gun rather than a comm.    I'm getting the phase/equip shotguns/drop seige thing down pretty well, and while i still get an arms lab pop up while i'm trying to drop a medpack, i'm getting better!!!!  I think my team had quite a bit to do with it - i've tried to comm some games where people can't use a shotgun, so whats the point right?

anyways....

woot :D  (and gg, i hope)

April 06, 2005, 06:19:09 AM
Reply #1

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
You're not slow.  You just need to call for meds 1000000000000000000000 times and then you get it.   :p   Tbh, that was my failing too for the longest time.  I was really really really slow.  Still am sometimes.  Good job though, the game was well commed strategywise, which is harder to learn than getting fast.  Tbh, you should bing keys to responding to med/ammo/order requests.  Also, bind your obs to a key so ping goes faster.  Otherwise, congrats again.   :)

April 06, 2005, 06:33:29 AM
Reply #2

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Using the Ctrl + number for an obs is first thing to do as comm :)

Plus space bar is friend when finding someone dying.

It does take a while to get used to, I still for some reason keep my fingers on my WASD keys even as comm  >_<

April 06, 2005, 10:40:02 AM
Reply #3

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
It does take a while to get used to, I still for some reason keep my fingers on my WASD keys even as comm  >_<
[snapback]45622[/snapback]
There's nothing wrong with that, it still leaves everything you need nearby.

E S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click)
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

April 06, 2005, 10:43:11 AM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
It does take a while to get used to, I still for some reason keep my fingers on my WASD keys even as comm  >_<
[snapback]45622[/snapback]
There's nothing wrong with that, it still leaves everything you need nearby.

E S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click) S (click)
[snapback]45643[/snapback]
Spammity-spam! Wasting your team's res :rolleyes:
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 06, 2005, 11:10:36 AM
Reply #5

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
yeah, don't worry about it, medspamming is the downfall of a lot of us

most games i've played everyone's told me the same thing:
you commed well, but you coulda spammed a few more meds / spammed meds a bit faster

Malevolent knows this all too well because he somehow manages to call for a medpack every 5 seconds XD
sometimes i'm there to give it to him, but sometimes i'm busy with other areas and he ends up spamming the medpack thing  :rolleyes:

sorry male, i'm getting better :p
(at least u *get* a medpack.. that's how bad i used to be)

April 06, 2005, 11:21:42 AM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
I've said it before, I'll say it again :) Bind a key, (I bind mousewheel) to SELECT ALL MARINES. Spam this bind all the time when looking over your rines, and give meds accordingly. One should actually almost never SPAM meds. Only exceptions is a desperate attempt to destroy a hive in a last ditch effort (sometimes better just to let them all die and save money for bacon), or medding that one guy/gal making that REALLY REALLY important PG.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 06, 2005, 11:53:11 AM
Reply #7

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Awww, but I like spamming meds. I think it's my trademark "here they come to rape the hive" when I spamm meds/ammo/cat packs all over the hive floor.

It's fun,  I see marines bounced from one skulk mouth to another, just getting meds on the way. I will tell you this, tho, if you spam med call more than 3-4 times in a 30 second period, I'll either give you nothing, or drop 3 proto's worth of res on you.  >:D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:53:46 AM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 06, 2005, 12:47:19 PM
Reply #8

Torgo

• Lerker

• View Profile
This afternoon...I commed my first game of NS since 1.04....

I don't know how you guys do it. I was alright at first and had a nice res flow going and upgrades to keep everyone happy. To my surprise, the first 2 fades went down with ease. Even better, I had control of a hive, then suddenly my world came crashing down.

...More people joined the server. I got spammed with health/ammo/orders requests. I desperately tried to siege down one hive, only to completely neglect the other and lose my outpost....The confusion to see where everyone was, diciphering through the "YOU SUCK COMM!" text messages, checking my res node count...it was all too much. I screamed outloud at my computer, prompting a rather puzzled look on my roommate's face...

Soon, the two hive onos came to base and put me out of my misery.

So, this is an apology to the team I let down and a thank you to the all the good commanders on the server. (rad4christ, DeadMeat, Slickwill, and yes, even Mr.Bill, etc...) Your patience is an inspiration.
Taking care of the place while the master is away.

April 06, 2005, 02:22:35 PM
Reply #9

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
u forgot newborn and nooblet :p

..mrbill is a good comm? haha XD

(i know, i shouldnt say anything, i'm horrible too >_<)

April 06, 2005, 02:54:58 PM
Reply #10

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'm a good comm?  <3  <3  <3   I'm so flattered. (Seriously, I don't think I am that good.)  Btw, Torgo, you did fine.  What you outlined is exactly what happens in a typical rine loss.  I thought you did fine.  :)

April 06, 2005, 09:06:28 PM
Reply #11

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
I haven't commed in LM yet. I think I jumped in the chair a couple times at the very beginning to drop an ip and armory and what not just cause noone else got in, then I jumped back out. The closest I came to winning as comm was in a server full of bots (only 4 other real people there besides me). I was really slow so we weren't doing too good, but we were holding our own and almost took a hive. Then I had to get off the comp. >_<

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

April 07, 2005, 04:06:44 AM
Reply #12

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
It can be pretty discouraging to comm when you're most likely going to lose. But, if no one else will do it, as is often the case, it's good practice. :)
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

April 07, 2005, 12:06:47 PM
Reply #13

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
I really should get some practice in as comm. I don't really like to do it though.. I like running around building and shooting things. I guess it's cause I'm a follower, not a leader (in real life). I should try it out more often though just so I can be decent when I need to comm or just feel like it.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

April 07, 2005, 12:41:49 PM
Reply #14

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'd never commed before I started playing on LM a lot. People are a lot easier to comm on a server you know and have played at before than when you're pubbing. Back when I clanned we never needed a comm, so I never got a crack at it. I kind of enjoy it now.

But grats on your first win.

April 07, 2005, 02:29:03 PM
Reply #15

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Marines lose so much that noone minds if you lose anyhow.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 07, 2005, 04:07:36 PM
Reply #16

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
I got my comm skills up by going in ready to lose, so Id relocate, CONSTENTLY. But sometimes, (or eventually when the rush of simply just relocating wasnt enough, and I wanted to win) I began to comm a tad more serious, I got teh upgrades, I usually do the same thing, and lately Ive been comming some serious games and owning newbs (only if my rine team owns :-D ) Like today on ns_nancy, great team helps a lot, it was one of my usual spamarific games (not more then 5 s of silence from my mic!) and we did great, people listened, and when they did they got what they wanted like shotties and such :-D and as usual I go heavy, you comm with Bill, your comming with heavy!

on another note, ns_veil the next map I relocated to topographicle all hyped up and ready to lose, and we did just that, in so much style that the last 2 beacons into ms (which was FULL of oc's and instadeathed my teams almost both times) were things of hilarity, I was happy they had 4 fades and finished it quick.

But even when I serious comm,  I med spam continuelessly, Youll get 3 medpacks at the least most times, I only raation when I want a building or such. good fun comming, just need to get into it first :-D

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

April 07, 2005, 05:06:54 PM
Reply #17

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I'd like to point out that I DID make it out of rine start.

Only to die to a fade 3 seconds later.  :lol:
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

April 07, 2005, 07:01:44 PM
Reply #18

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I would like to try comming one day...but I haven't gotten around getting a mic yet.
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

April 07, 2005, 07:56:16 PM
Reply #19

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
TBH if its a poor team, I just open with a relocate and let it degenerate from there. At least a relocate is pretty fun, and if it goes wrong then you all die in about 5 minutes, as opposed to a long 30 minute endgame stalement of Onos vs 3/3 marines.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater