Author Topic: I've got a bit of a situation going on here....  (Read 5117 times)

March 30, 2005, 12:48:02 AM
Read 5117 times

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ok, ive met someone that i've introduced to NS to lunixmonster...  and today I havn't played once (or yesterday) but yet my friend says he saw me in the server.  Obviously someone was impersonating me.

So admins, could you please watch out for me WITHOUT an Constillation Icon becuase that IS NOT me.

March 30, 2005, 01:09:07 AM
Reply #1

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
OMG SOMEONE HAS THE SAME NAME AS YOU?!? it happens.. dont jump to an irrational conclusion that someone is impersonating you on purpose and is out to ruin your name.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

March 30, 2005, 02:58:46 AM
Reply #2

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
OMG SOMEONE HAS THE SAME NAME AS YOU?!? it happens.. dont jump to an irrational conclusion that someone is impersonating you on purpose and is out to ruin your name.
[snapback]44803[/snapback]

i'm sorry, but my name is a little different than MAC

and i've never seen another E-Fonzarelli on lunixmonster.  Don't troll - it makes you look bad.

March 30, 2005, 03:16:57 AM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Are you positive that your friend didn't just get your nickname confused or something?  No offence, but if I am going to be smurfing someone on LM, it would probably at least be someone who is a res slotter, or one of our more gragarious characters.  I'll keep my eye out anyways, I know it would really bug me if someone was smurfing on my handle.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 30, 2005, 07:24:14 AM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I'd say going with a different name is fine, but impersonating another reg - not good, in my opinion.
Maybe there's a simple plugin that looks at a player's name, and if he's a slotter, confirms it with his SteamID in some database? I don't know, this really isn't a problem right now, but if it ever does...
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 30, 2005, 07:54:32 AM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I'd say going with a different name is fine, but impersonating another reg - not good, in my opinion.
Maybe there's a simple plugin that looks at a player's name, and if he's a slotter, confirms it with his SteamID in some database? I don't know, this really isn't a problem right now, but if it ever does...
[snapback]44814[/snapback]
[edit] bah, misread.  Your suggestion is still superfluous though, as the RS plugin determins weather a player is a slotter or not by thier steam id, thus to check a players name against thier steam id could be fairly easily added to the RS functions... The big problem would come when players like me use slightly different names every few games which are easily recognizable by humans (Swiftspear, Swifty, or pretty much any variation of SwiftSpear all mean the same thing to the human eye) but tend to catch up databases.  It is probably impossible to check if a user name is being used by a differnent steam ID then generally uses it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 08:00:00 AM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 30, 2005, 09:14:54 AM
Reply #6

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
*changes name to E-Fonzarelli and pats her constie icon ;)

Sorry fonz - even if we DID find someone smurfing with your name not a whole lot we could do about it.  Unless the name is offensive, an admin isn't going to make a player change it.   But I'll let you know if I see 'you' and I suspect that its not really 'you'. :p

March 30, 2005, 09:28:33 AM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Use the secrat questiun technique!

"What is the name of your cat, E-Fonz?"

March 30, 2005, 10:14:35 AM
Reply #8

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile

and i've never seen another E-Fonzarelli on lunixmonster.  Don't troll - it makes you look bad.
[snapback]44807[/snapback]
With many names, you'll find later down the road you weren't as original as you thought.

Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..

March 30, 2005, 10:41:21 AM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
2 random numbers separated by an operator ftw.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 30, 2005, 12:41:22 PM
Reply #10

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Your suspicions are correct, at least one ID other than your own has connected with your name.  It isn't a reg, though.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

March 30, 2005, 07:29:56 PM
Reply #11

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
*changes name to E-Fonzarelli and pats her constie icon ;)

Sorry fonz - even if we DID find someone smurfing with your name not a whole lot we could do about it.  Unless the name is offensive, an admin isn't going to make a player change it.   But I'll let you know if I see 'you' and I suspect that its not really 'you'. :p
[snapback]44826[/snapback]

*duck hunt music plays*

Da Da Dum da Dum da Dum DAH DUM.

:blush:

I know theres not much that could be done - I try to play a very respectable game - even though Holy Devil said "I whine too much" today.  That being said, I've admin'ed my share of servers from a sweet OC-3 hookup at the university of Tulsa back in the day, so I really do try to be mature - even if I come off a *BIT* ecentric at times - I don't want to be thought of as "a nuisance" which I assume if someone was impersonating me, they would be trying to make me look bad.

March 31, 2005, 12:07:41 AM
Reply #12

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
which I assume if someone was impersonating me, they would be trying to make me look bad.
[snapback]44894[/snapback]
Yes, that's assuming someone is indeed impersonating you. I was just pointing out the possibility of a coincidence. ^_^

March 31, 2005, 09:49:54 PM
Reply #13

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Will the real E-Fonz please stand up, please stand up, please stand up
Will the real E-Fonz please stand up, please stand up.

(Sung to the tune:  Real Slim Shady please stand up by, Eminem)

March 31, 2005, 10:23:24 PM
Reply #14

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Well I saw a 4_of_16 instead of a 2_of_8

March 31, 2005, 10:37:18 PM
Reply #15

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile

March 31, 2005, 10:37:39 PM
Reply #16

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Well I saw a 4_of_16 instead of a 2_of_8
[snapback]45033[/snapback]

That's it? There were a LOT more 0.25's on :D

April 01, 2005, 08:12:52 PM
Reply #17

Condizzle

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

and i've never seen another E-Fonzarelli on lunixmonster.  Don't troll - it makes you look bad.
[snapback]44807[/snapback]
With many names, you'll find later down the road you weren't as original as you thought.
[snapback]44831[/snapback]

Yes, I thought my name was pretty original, but when I tried to register a hotmail account a while ago, Condizzle was taken.
"Jiggling Eggleston," replied the clams.

April 05, 2005, 08:23:35 AM
Reply #18

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yeah, I have the same problem with my name...
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 05, 2005, 08:45:00 AM
Reply #19

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
I always knew my name was real own, and that other newbs would you know, try and steel my pwness, so Ive just come to terms with having a real pwn name. :-D

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win