Author Topic: Rates  (Read 6264 times)

March 27, 2005, 12:34:34 PM
Read 6264 times

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Ok, in simple friendly terms, what should my rate and associated commands be set to?

I seem to have problems tracking people, and I often hear other players complain of warping, so what should I be looking for, and how do I fix it?
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 27, 2005, 12:54:59 PM
Reply #1

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
cl_rate 10000 - 20000
rate 10000 - 20000

cl_cmdrate 50 - 100
cl_updaterate 50 - 100

As a rough guide.

Start quite high, and use net_graph 3. Lower the numbers if you start getting lots of choke.

On UK CS servers i will use 20000, 80, 80. But for NS i keep them at 12000, 60, 60 because of the ping difference.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:01:54 PM by UKchaos »

March 27, 2005, 03:53:35 PM
Reply #2

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Just play around with them, They're different for everyone.

March 27, 2005, 04:05:47 PM
Reply #3

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

March 27, 2005, 04:15:02 PM
Reply #4

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Mm, but what are the signs I should be looking for? Overflow errors, strange skulk movement, general not hitting of things?

March 27, 2005, 04:40:44 PM
Reply #5

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
Mm, but what are the signs I should be looking for? Overflow errors, strange skulk movement, general not hitting of things?
[snapback]44584[/snapback]
Hmm.. I get that overflow error sometimes when trying to connect to servers. Other than that things generally run just fine.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

March 27, 2005, 06:34:44 PM
Reply #6

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I read that report, bit confusing.

I'm on broadband, McAfee's internet speedometer gives me the following:

File Size:  150.005 KB  
Time Elapsed:  2.188 seconds

My speed:

548.48 Kbps
(68.56 KBps)  

I ping about 140 or so on LM while running Steam, so I should be maxing out my rate and such then, shouldnt I?

March 28, 2005, 01:18:24 PM
Reply #7

Absinthe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I use the same rates for CS as I do NS and it generally hasn't given me many problems.

rate 25000 (I think it's capped to 10K, but higher usually has no effect)

cl_updaterate 101
cl_cmdrate 101

This is from habit, 100 is technically the highest you can use I've heard for CS, but most people generally use 101. IF you get a lot of choke or your ping is over 120, you might wanna use 80/80 or even lower if your connection sucks.

I like to monitor my stuff with:

net_graphpos 3
net_graph 3

Higher in/outs are better, usually a sign of a good server actually. If you get above 3/3 for each it's good. Some servers have up to 7-8 which are awesome so long as you don't get choke or loss on the side.

I don't know what it does, but you can try 'cl_cmdbackup 999' cuz some cal-i player told me to do it :p
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

March 28, 2005, 06:24:54 PM
Reply #8

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Ok I'll try those settings.

I need to try this netgraph thing.

I found this link:

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/ConnectionFAQ/Halflife.htm

I'm trying the Cable settings. Can you turn the graph on and off ingame?

March 29, 2005, 01:34:01 AM
Reply #9

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Here is a net graph toggle bind that I used to use when I played TFC.

//toggle netgraph
alias ngrfon3 "net_graph 3; net_graphwidth 192; net_graphheight 64; bind h ngrfon1"
alias ngrfon1 "net_graph 1; net_graphwidth 48; net_graphheight 20; bind h ngrffps"
alias ngrffps "net_graph 0; cl_showfps 1; bind h ngrfoff"
alias ngrfoff "cl_showfps 0; bind h ngrfon3"

You can also add net_graph 2 by making the necessary changes, and it also shuts off the net_graph command.  I would imagine it would work just as well in NS, but I haven't been bothered to bind it.  

**Oh I should add that I got this toggle from the FOOM clan site, and that I know next to nothing about writing binds. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 01:37:56 AM by Guenhwyvar »

April 17, 2005, 11:11:01 PM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Can you turn the graph on and off ingame?
[snapback]44655[/snapback]
net_graph [1-3]
I prefer 3, it has no graphs - contrary to the name :D - only numbers... which is what I want, anyway.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 19, 2005, 10:26:23 AM
Reply #11

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
My maniacal warping i first thought was my rates, till i tried everysingle one with little or no improvement.  I can only tell you how my computer reacts, in the same way yours seems to. Turning a corner and not moving, certian sounds will draw out or seem to lag on, warping, lag for a second and end up dying because you saw a skulk...those are a few of mine.

Although i knew i had ping spikes now and then im pretty sure..almost 75% sure my lag is due to my ISP.  I have DSL so it shouldnt be that bad but for some reason it is.

Keep tweaking with your cable settings....monkeys thinks it'll help you out.

P.S.              im too scared to turn on my graph...  :wacko:

April 20, 2005, 04:44:32 AM
Reply #12

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
What do each of the rate functions do again?

I'm trying to play with them and figure out what works but I really don't knowtice much of a difference...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

April 20, 2005, 08:13:07 AM
Reply #13

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I must admit I`m curious what other people see when I`m playing against them on LM since I have a highish ping but I don't get any problems myself? Do I warp?
I know I have caused problems for Mal in the past (sorry) but is that my ping or his?

April 20, 2005, 01:58:49 PM
Reply #14

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I believe it's that:

CMDrate is what you send to the server
updaterate is what you recieve

A low cmdrate is what'll make you appear choppy on the server, provided that everyone else is running correct rates and ex_interp. I believe.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

April 20, 2005, 04:40:05 PM
Reply #15

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I believe it's that:

A low cmdrate is what'll make you appear choppy on the server, provided that everyone else is running correct rates and ex_interp. I believe.
[snapback]46552[/snapback]
ex_interp is that function that estimates player position in between updaterate dumps, is it not?  Would a low ex_interp theoretcially mean that hitboxes are nearly always on the model where they should be, even though you would have to deal with more people teleport running?

April 20, 2005, 04:42:21 PM
Reply #16

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I believe it's that:

ex_interp is that function that estimates player position in between updaterate dumps, is it not?  Would a low ex_interp theoretcially mean that hitboxes are nearly always on the model where they should be, even though you would have to deal with more people teleport running?
[snapback]46569[/snapback]

Yes. At its lowest value (no idea what it is), most of what you see is exactly what you get from the server - and if you don't get it often enough, you'll see teleporting.
As with ex_exterp or something like that... it's extrapolation, for when packets are late, and your computer predicts where the hitbox will be.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 20, 2005, 04:48:59 PM
Reply #17

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I believe it's that:

[snapback]46569[/snapback]

Yes. At its lowest value (no idea what it is), most of what you see is exactly what you get from the server - and if you don't get it often enough, you'll see teleporting.
As with ex_exterp or something like that... it's extrapolation, for when packets are late, and your computer predicts where the hitbox will be.
[snapback]46571[/snapback]
so it basicly should be cool as long as you interp and exterp are exactly the same?

[edit] found a nice quote
Having a higher interp setting delays the drawing of stuff on your screen so .1 = 100ms delay .01 = 10ms. Lower settings will equal choppier players due to the server having not yet recieved a command update from them.

Ex_extrapmax can be used to help smooth out choppyness from lower interp settings or it can be set to 0 and will only show true hitboxes but be choppy.

Having an interp higher than 1/update rate will cause the model to be displayed slightly ahead of the actual hitbox location.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 04:51:36 PM by SwiftSpear »

April 21, 2005, 03:09:14 AM
Reply #18

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
So basically, if you set your interp to 0 and all the aliens are choppy they have rubbish CMDrates.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

April 21, 2005, 03:05:47 PM
Reply #19

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
So basically, if you set your interp to 0 and all the aliens are choppy they have rubbish CMDrates.
[snapback]46612[/snapback]
Which is quite a lot of players, unfortunately...