Author Topic: Car collision  (Read 3653 times)

March 12, 2005, 11:22:48 AM
Read 3653 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
So, today, I got back from taking the SAT. As I was about to turn left into my driveway (slowed down and all), a woman behind me, in a rush apparently, drove up and attempted to pass me on the left. Hit me as I was turning. The front left wheel area (don't know the technical term) is basically caved in, though the wheel works. This was my first collision, so I was kind of shocked and ended up just getting her phone number and name after she said she was in a rush. She left. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind at the time to call the police and get the insurance info. Any advice?

What I have:
Her name
Her number
One damaged car

Oh, and she was driving a ****ing Jaguar, I believe. She didn't even get a scratch, as far as I could see when I walked over.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 11:24:01 AM by Manta »

March 12, 2005, 12:14:06 PM
Reply #1

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
as bad as it sounds, the number was probably a fake. in that kind of situation, ESPECIALLY when youre not at fault, call the police. This way, the police can make sure the proper exchange of information takes place. If she gave you a fake number, you're never getting anything for the damages to your car, and if you had called the police and she was too busy to stay, she gets charged with a hit and run and then gets to pay for your car.
So feel free to check the name and number and see if theyre legit. My money is on fake, but you never know.  make sure you call your insurance company and report the accident asap. thats about all you can do right now.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

March 12, 2005, 12:33:02 PM
Reply #2

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Hmm, well, I called the number and asked if it was ****'s house. A male voice responded, said yes, gave me insurance number, so it's not fake. However, I looked up her address and name in the subdivision directory later and the number listed was different, meaning either the directory is old or she did give me a fake. The worst part of this all is that I let my guard down for just a second because I was pretty much home and this happened.

At any rate, I think she could tell that this was the first time I got in an accident and decided to take advantage of that and my trust.  :(

GG, trusting in humanity.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 12:42:35 PM by Manta »

March 12, 2005, 12:53:09 PM
Reply #3

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Hmm, well, I called the number and asked if it was ****'s house. A male voice responded, said yes, gave me insurance number, so it's not fake. However, I looked up her address and name in the subdivision directory later and the number listed was different, meaning either the directory is old or she did give me a fake. The worst part of this all is that I let my guard down for just a second because I was pretty much home and this happened.

At any rate, I think she could tell that this was the first time I got in an accident and decided to take advantage of that and my trust.  :(

GG, trusting in humanity.
[snapback]43132[/snapback]

Happen to remember the tag number?, even a partial tag number could track down a jaguar (since it is a rarer car). Just file a report with the police even if you dont, anything can happen.

March 12, 2005, 01:07:58 PM
Reply #4

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
your a ****ing idiot, and I like to gloat over people's mistakes. What? did you really tink she was going to give you her real name and phone number? hah!

sorry to call you a moron but you should have taken her LISENCE PLATE NUMBER at least

now your boned. A friend of mine tried that once when pulling out of the mall, she was abcking up and hit a parked car. She wrote a fake name, and phone number and elft the piece of paper on their windshield. Turns out someone got her lisence plate number, gave it to the women whos car she hit. 2 weeks later the cops come to her door and read her rights. She didnt get arrested, but she left the scene of a crime which is a felony. She got lucky enough with only a court date since shes 17. next time be smart, use your noggin and get the plate number.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 03:36:46 PM by lolfighter »

March 12, 2005, 02:12:43 PM
Reply #5

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
Let me get this right, you were on the street where your home is, and i assume (hope) that this isn't a major street.  If it is fake, just sit and wait for a jaguar to go by again and take the plate.  But yea, at the very least, you NEED the plate.  Everything else is what they give you.  If you are extra cautious, take the VIN number

March 12, 2005, 03:58:59 PM
Reply #6

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
ok, 2 things now. since you have insurance information, call your insurance company and give them the info you were given. if it turns out to be fake info, then the person you called and got it from is in deep kim-chee for giving false information about an accident. by the way, you have 24 hours to call the police about the incident, which i recommend doing anyway, as the police will officially document the damages, whereas if you have no documentation, the bitch that hit you can always say "i didnt hit him, that car was already jacked up".  either way, call your insurance company with the info asap.

March 12, 2005, 04:48:04 PM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Turns out that she didn't lie, Diablus. I'm sure you would have enjoyed it otherwise, though.

Anyway, I already called the police. The officer made a report and all.

By the way, she drove off pretty quickly, as I was unsure of what to do. Am I a moron for not having experienced this before and therefore not knowing all the steps?

Thanks for the advice, CFM. I'll make sure to remember all that next time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:52:20 PM by Manta »

March 12, 2005, 05:29:05 PM
Reply #8

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
anytime man.

March 12, 2005, 09:55:17 PM
Reply #9

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
When this happens to me I'll know what to do. But what if they put a gun to my head and say nothing has happened here.

March 12, 2005, 11:07:14 PM
Reply #10

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
you always need to get the plate number. thats the most important thing, then take a picture of the damage, either with a cell phone or keep a disposable camera with your regestration in the glove box.

March 13, 2005, 01:54:54 AM
Reply #11

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I have been in the same situation myself but on the oppoisite side and my front bumper came off. But in the end it was all good cause my dad is autobody so he fixed the truck that hit me no prob and fix my car no prob in the end we made 300. We made 300 cause my dad said just give us 300 and I will fix your truck and we will call it even.

Here is what you want to do, some people will disagree but I dont care, my mom have had her fairshare of accidents so I know what go's on.

First get her info, I assume you have it all, and even though she was in a rush TOO BAD!  If she wasnt rushing this would of never happened.

Next try to settle this without cops and with out your insurance knowing cause if either of those know your insurance will go up, even if it isnt your fault it still goes up. (which is bull) get a estimation from a car repair place take get a print out and have her come to your place or go to hers, give her the estimate and ask her if she wants to cut you a check so you can get it repaired or if you want to call insurance and involve them and have both your insurance go up.  

If all goes well you should get this settled before a week is up.

Also you dont have to call the cops you can if you want but that just add more work then really needed, the only time you really need them is when it is a BAD wreck or someone gets hurt.  Also like CFM said if try to settle outside, and they say they didnt do it then you can call the cops, they dont really get mad if you try to settle without them, it just creates less work for them, and they have better things to be doing.

March 13, 2005, 06:43:42 AM
Reply #12

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Already got the police and insurance. I didn't know insurance would go up regardless of whose fault it was :(

March 13, 2005, 11:04:10 AM
Reply #13

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
depends on where you live. if you live in a no-fault state like florida (where i live), then yes, your insurance goes up no matter who's at fault. if you live in an at fault state like pennsylvania (where my fiance lives) then the insurance of the driver who is at fault goes up.

March 13, 2005, 11:16:03 AM
Reply #14

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
"No fault state"? Care to elaborate?

March 13, 2005, 11:45:49 AM
Reply #15

moofree

• Lerker

• View Profile
Listing of all states and their fault laws (and minimum insurance)
http://www.autoinsuranceindepth.com/state-minimums.html

good explanation of what no-fault means http://www.autoinsuranceindepth.com/no-fault-insurance.html

<cough>google</cough>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 11:48:18 AM by moofree »

March 13, 2005, 07:37:37 PM
Reply #16

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Wait, she drives a Jag?  You should be wishing she did give you a fake #, so that you could track her down and SUE HER, as she obviously has $$$.  Or a lot of debt.
signature