Author Topic: Chess  (Read 8641 times)

February 16, 2005, 12:08:54 AM
Read 8641 times

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Was just wondering if anyone else besides me plays net chess? I'm growing tired of playing against random people that trash talk after a game.

If you want to get some games going just pm me in IRC.

I can play on ICC, uscl, fics, or chess.net if you like (I have accounts at all of the places)

February 16, 2005, 12:23:53 AM
Reply #1

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I like chess, have not played it in ages, nor have I heard of the places you've mentioned. :p So if you care to toss me a URL of what ya think is the best (free too? dunno if such things cost money >_>) I'd gladly sign up and play. No idea how good I am anymore though :p

February 16, 2005, 01:09:05 AM
Reply #2

Azazeal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Yea pretty much the same as stated above, i like chess so im willing to play, probly mop the floor with me tho :p

February 16, 2005, 06:16:21 AM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
When I first read the topic title I'm like, "has Iconoclast lost it?  no one doesn't play chess"  Then I realized you meant online  :p
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 16, 2005, 07:54:33 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Chess is a thinking man's game. Therefore, if you're good at chess, you're smart. Therefore, if you're bad at chess, you're stupid. At least that's what I keep making myself believe. And I suck horribly at chess. Therefore, playing chess gets me down. Therefore, I don't play chess.
Which is probably why I suck at it.

February 16, 2005, 08:48:53 AM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I <3 me some chess, but only on a board with pieces I can reach out and grab without using a mouse  :rolleyes:

it's all about castling, and getting to the playground [those 4 squares in the middle]  :D
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

February 16, 2005, 09:04:14 AM
Reply #6

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I love playing chess, however there is a serious lack of decent players in the family, and everyone else would rather play cards so I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like.

The only decent competition I have is in the form of my 12 year old cousin Alex (sadly maybe) and though he's young, he manages to turn every one of our games into a bloodbath. He also kicks my ass at pool. T_T

February 16, 2005, 09:30:30 AM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
You should all learn bridge, it's a strategic, somewhat teamplay card game. This Fogey I know did competitive Magic: THe Gathering tourneys, and apparently, he said, his Bridge play helped him quite a bit.

I"m only a very very crappy novice, but it's pretty fun. Think, reverse Hearts.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 16, 2005, 09:36:58 AM
Reply #8

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I play, but I'm rusty as woot. Haven't played a good game in ages, except when [FFT]SM5 wipes the floor with me.

February 16, 2005, 10:13:18 AM
Reply #9

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I know for a fact that FICS is free, USCL (where I mainly play) has some sort of basic trial where you can play unrated games only. Here's a couple of links.

FICS - www.freechess.org

USCL - www.uschesslive.org

* - FICS doesnt allow you to register if you dont have a 'real' email, they wont allow you to use yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

lf: lolfighter applies script-fu and turns those URLs into easily-clickable hyperlinks for YOUR convenience!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 04:54:06 AM by lolfighter »

February 16, 2005, 10:23:29 AM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I wouldn't mind playing chess; I'm not that good, and haven't played in a few years. However, if you feel really bored, PM me (highlight first in #lm so that I pay attention). Most of the time that I have free I use to play on LM, though.
I would love to try anyway, since I haven't played in such a long time.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 16, 2005, 10:27:06 AM
Reply #11

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
You should all learn bridge, it's a strategic, somewhat teamplay card game. This Fogey I know did competitive Magic: THe Gathering tourneys, and apparently, he said, his Bridge play helped him quite a bit.

I"m only a very very crappy novice, but it's pretty fun. Think, reverse Hearts.
[snapback]40757[/snapback]

Funny i know how to play Bridge and just about any other card game out there.  I also enjoy a good of chess wheter it be online or on a board with pieces.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 16, 2005, 10:31:52 AM
Reply #12

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
You should all learn bridge
The true old fogey!

The only people I know who play bridge are 70+  ^_^

[size=8]Not to knock it, I'd probably enjoy it if I knew how to play.[/size]
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

February 16, 2005, 10:35:10 AM
Reply #13

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
woh now i'm 20 and i know how to play bridge and i rather enjoy it too.  Heck i've even played as a substitute for a bridge group my mom and grandmother are a part of twice now.

the only thing i'm still getting used to is the bidding and answering other than that i'm good

back on topic i'ld really like to play more chess than i do play currently (atm it is none at all)

(after reading doobie's post the first time i didn't read it quite as throughly as i did the second time. sorry if this came off as a little harsh doobie)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 10:38:32 AM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 16, 2005, 11:04:39 AM
Reply #14

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
When I first read the topic title I'm like, "has Iconoclast lost it?  no one doesn't play chess"  Then I realized you meant online  :p
[snapback]40731[/snapback]

I don't play chess.  Never have.  Don't know how.  Never had any interest to lean.  Ok, well maybe I'm kinda curious, but it just seems like there are so many rules, I have a hard enough time with checkers.

Steam checkers anyone??  I haven't won.... in like... ever, but I'm up for a good clean loss!

February 16, 2005, 11:42:12 AM
Reply #15

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Doh, I forgot completely about steam board games..probably alot easier and less confusing to just play on it.

-Bridge, My grandfather used to play all the time..never quite figured it out myself. I remember him playing in tournaments and online too, I'll put it on my list of things to learn next to backgammon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 11:43:48 AM by Iconoclast »

February 16, 2005, 11:47:07 AM
Reply #16

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
friends list has to actually decide it wants to work for steam chess to be usable.  :angry:

i'd play ya in whatever free web-based ones there are out there on that internet thingy.

edit: at a friend's cabin i learned cribbage. i am a beast.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 11:47:45 AM by fatty »

February 16, 2005, 12:15:04 PM
Reply #17

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The true old fogey!

[snapback]40773[/snapback]

No, no, that's quite alright. I think that estimation is quite correct. I think it's mainly the euro in my eurasian that makes my dad think that anything sorta british/european/stodgy is good has led to me being taught bridge.

woh now i'm 20 and i know how to play bridge and i rather enjoy it too.  Heck i've even played as a substitute for a bridge group my mom and grandmother are a part of twice now.

the only thing i'm still getting used to is the bidding and answering other than that i'm good
[snapback]40775[/snapback]
Dang, playing in the women's group,that's hardcore bridge right there. And yeah,t he tough part about the game is teh bidding and all the freaking conventions.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 16, 2005, 12:25:28 PM
Reply #18

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
The true old fogey!

[snapback]40773[/snapback]

^^

the first thing I thought when niteowl said play bridge was LOL, the second was of my late grandmother who always used to play it   ^_^
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

February 16, 2005, 01:10:07 PM
Reply #19

JohnTheGarbageman

• Skulk

• View Profile
When I first read the topic title I'm like, "has Iconoclast lost it?  no one doesn't play chess"  Then I realized you meant online  :p
[snapback]40731[/snapback]

I don't play chess.  Never have.  Don't know how.  Never had any interest to lean.  Ok, well maybe I'm kinda curious, but it just seems like there are so many rules, I have a hard enough time with checkers.

Steam checkers anyone??  I haven't won.... in like... ever, but I'm up for a good clean loss!
[snapback]40777[/snapback]

The rules of chess are the surprisingly similiar to checkers, its about simple movement patterns to remove pieces. But instead of only having one type of movement with possible combos, chess has different movement abilitys for each type of piece but no funky stuff like combos (a few special moves are the exception). And one move constitutes your entire turn.

So for example, the little dudes (pawns), are able to move 1 space forward at any time or 2 spaces if that particular pawn hasn't moved yet this game. Pawns can only attack 1 unit diagonally and towards the enemy players side of the board (no backwards diagonal attack - in fact they can never move back) and hence make slightly clumsy pieces - but due to their number (8) and alignment are some of the most powerful players on the board.

In contrast, the queen is only given once to each player, but is able to move in any linear direction (can't change directions during the move, duh) without limit (except the 8 square limit of the field, duh) - so she can move diagonally, horizontally or vertically across the field. However all figures need a clear path of movement over enemy and friendly pieces, unless they intend to take said enemy piece.

All pieces are taken by simply being able to move a figure of yours onto them. So if you have a line from your queen to a target piece, you're able to take it. Or if your opponent moves a piece within 1 unit forward-diagonally (its simpler than it sounds :p ) of a pawn of yours. Theres 3 more pieces (4 with the King), but I'm just trying to get the idea across here.

Chess is really worth learning, not because it proves wether you're smart or anything (high level chessplay is merely good pattern recognition), but because learning chess is a great mental exercise. The beauty of the game will slowly become evident as you begin to see the inter-dependencies all 16 pieces (of 5 different types) on the board develope - each one covering an area, a line, a square - threatening or defending a piece, being threatened or defended by another piece, until its one big chain reaction. Thats when you can call chess complicated for a moment. But the rules themselves are easier to learn than those of most card games :)