Author Topic: NationStates: what should I pick for this issue?  (Read 2623 times)

February 02, 2005, 08:07:21 PM
Read 2623 times

StoneToad

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
Ok so here's the issue I got today.  I'm looking for suggestions on what I should pick.

---

TANL Decides:
When tentacle monsters attack!

The Issue:
After several reports of pet tentacle monsters violently attacking, injuring, and even killing citizens, there has been growing pressure from public safety activists for the government to take action.
The Debate

1. "These creatures are a danger to the public and must be destroyed!" says Randy Hanover, representative of the Public Institution for Social Safety, Equality, and Direction. "I was attacked by one just on the way here and I nearly lost my life! They're a public menace. We must shoot and burn them!"

2. "Why punish the poor things?" asks animal-lover Beth Mombota, covered in scars from previous encounters with tentacle monsters. "All they need is good hands to care and rehabilitate them. We need a government education programme to tame them and turn them into loveable pets. The one I'm holding right now shows that it can be done. They are all good, kind creatures deep d- argh!"

3. "I agree that we shouldn't kill them," says Beth Barry, a famous lawyer. "But I don't think the owner should get away with breaking the law! This is clearly a case of 'intent to greviously harm' if I ever saw it. All citizens should be held accountable of their pet's actions as if they had done the act themselves. It's the only way to be fair - after all, they're just dumb animals."

4. "Who cares!?" screams Calvin Hendrikson as he sends out his pirate radio station broadcast. "Just repeal any laws preventing us from shooting the things when they attack and we'll be able to save ourselves without this stupid, authoritarian, overbearing government and legal system wasting our tax money!"

February 02, 2005, 08:17:52 PM
Reply #1

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I vote you dissmiss the issue.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 02, 2005, 08:25:25 PM
Reply #2

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile

February 03, 2005, 10:01:40 AM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
"All they need is good hands to care and rehabilitate them."

two wins it

February 03, 2005, 07:17:19 PM
Reply #4

StoneToad

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
ok well I went with option 2 as per BlackMage's suggestion.  Mostly cause it gives the most alternative interpretations.

February 04, 2005, 10:26:20 AM
Reply #5

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I say number three is it. If people cannot keep their tentacle monsters in check, they will have to live with the consequences. If they're not up to the difficult task of raising a tentacle monster, they need a different fetish pet.

February 05, 2005, 04:48:18 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
rather than make a thread for my own issue problem i think i'll post it here in swiftspear's thread

More and more, citizens are drinking before getting behind the wheel. A group of concerned citzens wants something done.

The Debate

1. Larry Barry, head of Darkehlandia's chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous, says that drunk drivers need help. "Alcoholism is a nasty thing, a disease. The government has to help these poor souls to avoid the temptations of liquor, and wine, and beer, and hard cider, and brandy, and . . ." His eyes get a glazed far off look, "Where was I? Oh right, we have to help these people, not imprison them."

2. "That’s lovely," says Melbourne Love, a noted anti-alcohol advocate, "In a perfect world where rehab fixes everything. But this is the real world, and it doesn’t bring back the victims. Drunk drivers kill people every day. If they take other's lives, the government must take theirs!"

3. "All of those plans attack the symptoms, not the disease," says Minister of Transportation Anne-Marie Spirit, "Alcohol is a curse, a poison sent by the Devil to tempt mankind. We cannot trust people to make decisions for themselves. The only answer is prohibition. Ban alcohol completely."
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 06, 2005, 02:39:31 PM
Reply #7

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

February 06, 2005, 06:39:45 PM
Reply #8

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i talked with zero and isanub and decided on 1 afterall but i regret that now and i should've chose 3  <_<
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 06:40:05 PM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 07, 2005, 11:24:41 PM
Reply #9

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If you remember, some time ago I posted an issue asking if I should use the Anarkis(the national animal) as food. Now this came up.

The Issue

The Anarki is on the brink of extinction, largely due to people hunting them down for tasty Anarki-kahbobs and Anarkiburgers, and as ecological disaster looms, various factions are all calling for what they feel should be done about the Anarki.
The Debate

1. "This is an outrage!", shouts Tobias Fellow, outspoken member of the Zairo-Sleekism Wilderness Protection Movement. "The government has to put a stop to the out of control hunting of our beloved Anarkis. Do you want our children and grandchildren to miss witnessing the spectacle of wild Anarkis prancing freely in our forests?"
      [Accept]

2. "Who cares what happens to some dumb wild pest?", scoffs Klaus Bush, employee of Zairo-Sleekism National Lumber, "If they're endangered it's 'cause they were too weak to adapt. They probably deserve to be killed off. With them out of the way, we could clearcut the forests Anarkis like to hide in, which would really boost the economy through the timber industry!"
      [Accept]

3. "Nature is hardly a black and white issue." Beth Washington, a respected scholar notes. "We should start a breeding program to help these creatures recover their numbers. We can display them in captivity, and gradually release them into the wild. Couple it with limiting, but not abolishing Anarki hunting, and everyone benefits. Of course, Anarkis raised in captivity don't generally survive in the wild, but I'm sure we can find a way!"
      [Accept]

Suggestions?
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

February 08, 2005, 07:08:10 AM
Reply #10

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
[/b]