Author Topic: Your NS server...  (Read 3565 times)

January 26, 2005, 04:41:04 PM
Read 3565 times

Boris

• Lerker

• View Profile
Hello,
     I was playing on your server the other day, and was really impressed with performance and everything.  I was wondering if I could ask the server admins a question:

What are the specs of the server and would you mind listing some of the server setup you had to do to get it running nicely?  I'm basically looking for any special considerations such as "do I need to mess with minrates and maxrates, etc"

I am currently trying to set up my own server and I need to get an idea of what I need to run a proper 16-18 player server.  I will be renting a dedicated server to accomplish this, and will be most likely using Linux (Do you guys have a distro preference/best experience with certain one?) unless windows offers some great advantage over Linux (I highly doubt this though)?

This is a question to the people who directly know the server and how it was setup.  Any info would be a great help.  I'm just a fellow admin trying to help out the NS community by putting a little bit of my time and money into setting up an excellent server.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
- Boris :blink: (Mr|Boris - as seen on the server)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 04:42:27 PM by Boris »

January 26, 2005, 05:07:07 PM
Reply #1

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
The server is powered off a soul cube, getting extra bandwidth from the harvest of those our admins have banned :).

January 26, 2005, 05:57:16 PM
Reply #2

Boris

• Lerker

• View Profile
I figured I'd get a reply like this...but the first one?

If only that were an actual device...I'd buy 3!

January 26, 2005, 07:39:09 PM
Reply #3

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
It does actually run on windows (I think server 2k3, but don't quote me on that :p), as steam dedicated server for linux is highly unstable.

January 26, 2005, 08:58:39 PM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
It used to run on Linux, but after Steam was introduced to HL, it could no longer be safely hosted on Linux, so they had to switch to windows. But the name was kept :)
[edit]
Straight from IRC.

<Lightning_Blue> STEAM HLDS + NS + Linux = NO

If you take out the "STEAM" part, it would work :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:01:21 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 26, 2005, 09:09:20 PM
Reply #5

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
The server itself is a P4 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB DDR266, and a 7200 RPM hard drive.  As mentioned previously, we run Windows Server 2003 because the Steam HLDS for Linux eats CPU cycles for breakfast.  If you DO want to run Linux, you could find some help with configurations in the Server Discussion section of the official NS forums.

You will want to set a maxrate, as after a certain point you're just wasting bandwidth...you'd have to get a post from LB himself on that one however, as I'm more of a webserver guy than an expert on HLDS.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

January 26, 2005, 09:34:31 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

January 27, 2005, 11:58:33 PM
Reply #7

Boris

• Lerker

• View Profile
I'll try some of those settings out...hopefully I can keep it on linux, but if not, I already have a W2k3 server partition ready to go if I have to use it.

Thanks for the info!

- Boris

servername: Mr|Condomless Brothel(FF)

January 28, 2005, 09:09:46 AM
Reply #8

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
it's FF, you get points ++

<3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 31, 2005, 09:02:10 PM
Reply #9

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I never knew the server ran off a soul cube, and that it harvests those we have banned.  So that's where all the players go when they get struck with the holy justice stick.

February 01, 2005, 12:01:58 AM
Reply #10

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I never knew the server ran off a soul cube, and that it harvests those we have banned.  So that's where all the players go when they get struck with the BANT stick.
[snapback]39708[/snapback]

fixed for the truth of it

we use a bant stick not a holy justice stick
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]