Author Topic: The Bonsaibase  (Read 10267 times)

January 07, 2004, 12:16:14 PM
Reply #20

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Latest thing I heard on 3.0 (clanners/consties care to elaborate?) is that buildings have a slight no-build zone around them to prevent bonsaibasing. However, electified buildings have had their elec-range increased to make the elec defense still possible without creating a playground for marines to spawn into. Yipee!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 07, 2004, 12:36:42 PM
Reply #21

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
Its true, however the electricity dosen't cover EVERYTHINF like in 2.0
Got himself banned.

January 07, 2004, 12:40:02 PM
Reply #22

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Its good if done right, its perfect for eclipse, put the TF ontop of the comm chair, IP's on the sides, armory in front (free for humpage) all the upgrades go in the back, with maybe one or two turrets by the time the aliens get 2 hives (I dont want them to get in the back and munch everything

January 07, 2004, 07:20:14 PM
Reply #23

Cold-NiTe

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~grain_silo/my_sig.jpg
The problem I have with it is when everything gets crammed into one teeeeeeeny space and I end up having to duck jump over half the base just to get to the armory, only to get telefragged because the comm built another IP right next to said armory.
That is really the only qualms I have with that strategy.  But when done correctly, it really doesn't get in the way at all, the comm just has to keep building placement in mind...

Full Metal Alchemist + FFXI
www.yzzerdd.com - For everyone who remembers that Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Yes.  It DOES exist.

January 07, 2004, 07:59:00 PM
Reply #24

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Its true, however the electricity dosen't cover EVERYTHINF like in 2.0
Like? (Hopefully phase gates)

January 08, 2004, 10:36:25 AM
Reply #25

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
If you wanted to sure, Just plop down the PG, then the TF. The TF can't be near it but the electricirty range is large enough to cover.
Got himself banned.

January 09, 2004, 01:57:06 AM
Reply #26

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If you wanted to sure, Just plop down the PG, then the TF. The TF can't be near it but the electricirty range is large enough to cover.
Woops missed the 'in 2.0'... is there anything that can no longer be covered in 3.0?

January 09, 2004, 08:22:47 AM
Reply #27

LaYkE

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.layke.net
I see several comms lately using the 'bonsaibase' strategy, namely building a TF, electrifying it, and then building everything around that one TF to avoid skulks chewing the base up while the marines are out. I'm wondering what others think of this idea. I don't particularly mind it when it's used just to protect a few really important things. Say, the IPs. The problem I have with it is when everything gets crammed into one teeeeeeeny space and I end up having to duck jump over half the base just to get to the armory, only to get telefragged because the comm built another IP right next to said armory.

When I comm, I usually tend to build things far apart -- especially the armory away from the IPs -- because I know how aggravating it can be negotiating and defending a base that's designed to fit in a closet. I rely on a turret or two (mostly for the 'sentry firing' warning) and maybe a single base guard for base defense and don't mess with any tricky electrified TF defending everything strategy. What do others think? Good strategy or horrible annoyance?
I do this everytime I play as Comm.

You will have no choice but to build apart in NS3.0 as each structure now requires you to space em out (electrical range incresed though). I know what you mean about a cramped base I have seen some awful designed ones, however it's a LOT easyer to defend when it's compact. Having said that you will almost always need at least 1 siege there as too many a time have it witnessed a gorge running into base and dropping 5 ocs which is as we all know is not fun for spawning marines.

TBH i'd rather have an elecy protection then a Turret farm at the begining of the game. The key to a good base defense is knowing what time to start laying turrets down. Usually for me it's when I see my first Fade.

Personally I think it's a better defense then wasting res on turret farms... well works best for my style of comming.

~Pete~

January 09, 2004, 10:58:09 AM
Reply #28

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I alternate between TF in base and mines based on competency of team. If I know my team well enough to know their skill, only Ip's armory, arms lab and one pack of mines will suffice. If I don't know my team, I TF and elec and pray we get the nodes to cover the loss of res. I can win or lose either way, and I try not to place telefragging buildings near high traffic (armory).

I personally hate TF and turrets, only dropping one (if I have a good team) when I need ot elec RT guarding phase gate. I usualy build the necessary Tf by and RT and elec the RT, since it has more health.

However, as I type this I thought of something I'm gonna try. If you have to elec something in base, build the TF BESIDE the RT in base and ELEC THE RT. Then you have more room around the rt to drop structures. Now this will only work on some maps (bast comes to mind, IF you don't relocate to aft or atmos), and you may not be able to drop IP's by it, but I think it's worth a try...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 09, 2004, 06:27:29 PM
Reply #29

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I hate mined bases as a marine ever since this:

I'm in a vent as a skulk and I hear the characteristic sound of mines being dropped. I look out and there's 10 mines around their base in a neat little line. Then all 5 marines either gather a couple clips of ammo or move to finish building the second IP. I hopped out and sat on a mine and killed them all.

(Dubbilex was one)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 06:27:49 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 09, 2004, 08:42:05 PM
Reply #30

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Bonzai bases do save res on turrets and mines, sure the elect cost 30 but its better to have 7 marines on the field besides 6

January 10, 2004, 05:44:29 PM
Reply #31

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Best way to use mines:

Spread them apart, around buildings, but in such a way that a skulk can't get to a building without wall walking (which 90% never think to do).

Mines are NOT complete base defense, nothing is, but a good comm can hop out once mines are detonated and finish any resistance.

Mines are a deteral. If aliens find elec TF, they leave base alone. If they find unelec TF with turrets, they find the blindspot. They run in, see no TF, then blow up and wonder why, they stay away because of mines. Once mines blow, you replace them ONCE, and when that skulk sees the mines again, he'll either
A ) Slowly navigate the mines, which means he should be found quickly as a good marine team is moving and dying in the field actively, so the respawner will shoot him.
B ) He'll think it's not worth the time to navigate and head out.

If you are using mines, ALWAYS bind your IP's to a squad (or other key buildings), then you'll see them flashing up top when under attack and have a faster response.

Last point, if your marines are too busy humping the armory to see the incoming skulk, they deserve to go boom. If you hear/see a skulk, MOVE AWAY FROM BUILDINGS. If you hear fellow marines shooting in base, MOVE AWAY FROM BUILDINGS.

Thank you for your time. Class dismissed.

PS. I like it when I see a TF in base, I know the marines are now behind on res and upgrades. When I see unelec TF with turrets, I'm ecstatic, because I know there's a blindspot somewhere (my fav is the arms lab, yum).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:48:48 PM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 11, 2004, 12:51:10 AM
Reply #32

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Jan 11 2004, 12:44 AM] and when that skulk sees the mines again, he'll either
A ) Slowly navigate the mines, which means he should be found quickly as a good marine team is moving and dying in the field actively, so the respawner will shoot him.
C ) Climb the wall, go across the ceiling, and drop onto the top of his target, then sit on a mine when the commander gets out ;)

January 11, 2004, 05:04:24 PM
Reply #33

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
rad4Christ,Jan 11 2004, 12:44 AM]
If you are using mines, ALWAYS bind your IP's to a squad (or other key buildings), then you'll see them flashing up top when under attack and have a faster response.

that whole post had really good points. but this one quote i've never heard before. good idea.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 12, 2004, 05:23:25 PM
Reply #34

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Jan 11 2004, 12:44 AM] and when that skulk sees the mines again, he'll either
C ) Climb the wall, go across the ceiling, and drop onto the top of his target, then sit on a mine when the commander gets out ;)
Spread them apart, around buildings, but in such a way that a skulk can't get to a building without wall walking (which 90% never think to do).

Most people don't think. I mean how many skulks do you see find ladders or go the walking route avoiding vents? On tanith, which is the easiest to avoid mines, I RARELY see an alien wall walk to a building....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 05:24:33 PM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim

SheenaYanai