Author Topic: Second Life  (Read 2420 times)

January 06, 2005, 06:10:18 AM
Read 2420 times

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
See the thing is, I'm not sure if you can really call SL a game. It's kinda like you have as the name would suggest, a "second" life. It's run off the Havoc engine, and you can do all manner of things within the game itself. From scripting to modelling... it's all possible. The other thing about it is, it's a one time payment. There is NO monthly fee, you pay your $10 and then that's it...
Anyhow, here's a link to explain further www.secondlife.com.

edit: my SL name is Alucard Saito
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:47:06 AM by Owen »

January 06, 2005, 07:13:13 AM
Reply #1

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
better question is who HASN'T heard of it? ^~

I don't understand it though and I've never seen a free trial (mind you I guess the one off fee is hardly expensive...).
How the heck do you play in a game where the rules, the themes and pretty much everything are a blank book any idiot can write in? =P

The possibility of seeing badly made avatars (like really bad), zones and generally not knowing the ever-changing rules kinda puts me off a lil.
I dunno... I sometimes feel tempted to look into but nothing's ever really given me a decent jist of what it's like enough to make me want to find out for myself ^^;

edit: you should stick your 2nd life name on your post so anyone who does try it (think you need a credit card to do the 7 day trail or at least the FAQ mentions it) can say you referred them =3

The whole 'fixed choice of family name' thing sucks though =/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:17:48 AM by Geminosity »

January 06, 2005, 07:46:18 AM
Reply #2

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
[snapback]38054[/snapback]

That's being changed soon apparently. To give you an idea, SL would be like your day off from work, everyday. You can do what you want, within reason or boundary. I've never seen a bad av... at all, and most of the sims (areas) i go to are well put together. I do agree that lacking a free trial with no strings attached is a bit off, but you can get your money re-acredited to your account if you decide that it's not for you. In short, SL isnt like an RPG, you do not have any sort of mission or objective other than to have fun. You just mingle with other SLers and stuff. From nightclubs to beach parties, it's not about killing mr. X, or finding the golden crotch guard, you just play for fun.
As for the physical boundries surrounding the SL world, I'd say the only thing it's missing would be a dodge charger car, but then i could make that myself, if i wasn't so lazy or Prim concious.

January 06, 2005, 02:34:29 PM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
[snapback]38054[/snapback]

That's being changed soon apparently. To give you an idea, SL would be like your day off from work, everyday. You can do what you want, within reason or boundary. I've never seen a bad av... at all, and most of the sims (areas) i go to are well put together. I do agree that lacking a free trial with no strings attached is a bit off, but you can get your money re-acredited to your account if you decide that it's not for you. In short, SL isnt like an RPG, you do not have any sort of mission or objective other than to have fun. You just mingle with other SLers and stuff. From nightclubs to beach parties, it's not about killing mr. X, or finding the golden crotch guard, you just play for fun.
As for the physical boundries surrounding the SL world, I'd say the only thing it's missing would be a dodge charger car, but then i could make that myself, if i wasn't so lazy or Prim concious.
[snapback]38055[/snapback]
Sorry, I know nothing about this at all...

Is there a combat system?  what are the basic rules of the universe?
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 06, 2005, 04:40:47 PM
Reply #4

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
You just mingle with other SLers and stuff. From nightclubs to beach parties

why not go to an actual nightclub or beach party. If this is set for everyday life, why not go outside and experience it for yourself.

A game without a goal of any kind , in my opinion, is just lame. Created by shut-in's who are afraid to go out in the real world and do things for themselves.

January 06, 2005, 05:56:28 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site

why not go to an actual nightclub or beach party. If this is set for everyday life, why not go outside and experience it for yourself.

A game without a goal of any kind , in my opinion, is just lame. Created by shut-in's who are afraid to go out in the real world and do things for themselves.
[snapback]38096[/snapback]
phshah!

Your just mad because you know I can beat you at imaginary street racing any day of the week!  :p

January 06, 2005, 05:58:51 PM
Reply #6

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
It looks like a copy of the Half-Life engine.

January 07, 2005, 02:52:01 AM
Reply #7

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]38096[/snapback]

Well in that case, why bother with any game. Half of them are witin the realms of possibility, *looks at GTA*
WHY don't you go out steal a bunch of cars and get killed? Because it's stupid right? Yes, it is
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 02:52:38 AM by Owen »

January 08, 2005, 02:26:09 PM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I see why you need games so much... beliving that partying is stupid and all  :p