Author Topic: Detailed Map Strategies - Tanith (ns_tanith)  (Read 2407 times)

January 03, 2005, 07:04:22 PM
Read 2407 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
In this guide, we will discuss map control, the placement of PG/bases, and optimal siege locations.

A few simple tips regarding PG's, turret placements, and base configurations.
-Never clutter a base together, gives aliens cover to maneuver within the structures, and forces marines to close combat to get them out.
-Try to place all non-spawning structures against walls. Aliens love to hide behind a building and bite away while you play ring around the rosie. Place it against the wall, where the attacking skulk is vulnerable.
-Try NOT to place spawning structures (PG's and IP's) against a wall. Aliens love to have you trapped against the wall so you will spawn through and be trapped. Always try to leave 360 degress of open movement around the structure so marines can spread away from the structure and attack.
-Try to only place the bare minimum of turrets, and use electrification sparingly. Do not lock down unless there is a VERY high likelyhood of aliens taking it down swiftly.

Please understand that I am in no means suggesting that you follow all of this guide in one game, b/c it will cost you a ton of res and probably the game if you lame up everything as said here. However, the situation may warrant you to lock down a specific area, and hopefully this guide will help you do it as securely and economically as possible.

It's always a great idea to not locate INSIDE the hive when possible. Makes the aliens take risks, like trying to sneak up the hive. It also generally places you in a more central location, making it viable for easy access to other locations on the map. Remember, every failed hive attempt is one less higher lifeform to deal with, and another waste of 50 res.

Marine Start - Structure Placement

Normally, I've always randomly placed IP's in Tanith's MS, but placing the IP's up high has its advantages. Although you never go into the game planning to lose. You should realise that if the aliens have fades or onii, any structure will go fast on the lower floor, so IP's at the safest distance possible is a good idea. But if you follow this guide, you'll never have to worry about that, right? :p

Remember to place the IP's far apart from one another. Again you do not want all spawning devices in a nice line easily ambushed by a small number of aliens. Notice the armory placement, able to be used by marines on the platform, or by marines below. All key structures are far enough away that the commander (YOU) should be able to jump out of the chair and kill any skulk attacking it. They're also against a wall, hindering the skulks from using the structure as a shield.

Reactor Room - Fortification Layout

There is a little secret that most commanders don't know about, a deep hidden tactic that can reduce the likelyhood of losing RR by about 50%. It's a simple 3 step process shown below.

Once this "secret" tactic has been done, proceed as follows to fortify Reactor Room (RR).

You can actually secure this room with only the four outer turrets, but I've found that one that can hit any alien who drops down the ladder immediately is an effective deterrant, and keeps one from parasiting your marines every time they phase. Notice the PG is against the RT for electrification, but on the oppostie side of the water giving marines a wider area of movement should they phase in under attack.

Fusion Hive Siege Location - Cargo Storage - Fortification Layout

By far, the most contested room on the map. You can expect immediate resistence for this room from the beginning of the game. However, successfully capturing this area is devastating to the aliens. You'll want to always electrify RT's over TF's, because TF's have less health, so placing a TF against a node can be very effective. Make sure you have at least one turret facing each doorway directly, to ward off single rushers. Also, as stated in the Gorge thread, always have a turret in LoS of another turret, so that they protect each other.

Cargo is the primary siege point for Fusion Hive. The red hallway adjacent to Acidic can be used if Cargo is inaccessable.

Chemical Transport - Fortification Layout

Chemical Transport is a key location if you are guarding Satellite Communications hive, or assaulting it. Place all turrets near the ledge to cover both upper and lower ground. And do not place the PG or TF against the RT, as there is a vent directly above that they can BB or ambush from.

Acidic Solutions - Fortification Layout

If you are moving your team from Chemical to Cargo, and there is resistance, Acidic is a powerful place to set up a base as well. You cannot reach the Fusion hive from within Acidic, but you can clear any defenses in Cargo (and they usually place their DC's on the cargo water tank).

Waste Hive Siege Locations - Fortification Layout

The preferred siege location of the two, this location gives you the ability to build the TF/PG on a platform for easier protection. This area is accessed coming from Reactor Room or Cargo Storage.

Accessed by moving from West Access, this location can be used for siege, however the sieges are more vulnerable to attack. Try not to place the PG at the TF location noted above, as the vent on the left can easily spore or BB.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 03, 2005, 07:04:48 PM
Reply #1

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Satellite Communications Hive Siege Locations - Fortification Layout

Both of these siege points are accessed via Chemical Transport, this location is a tight one, so be careful, Try to watch from aliens coming from the rear to flank you, and watch the FF.

Accessed from Chem or by welding the point outside MS, this is the most frequent siege point for SatComm on pubs. Watch out, however, that the weldable area has a bug where structures and medpacks won't drop properly at times. This location has a direct LoS with the hive, so watch for sporing lerks.

Well, that's it. I hope it helps you to conserve resources but effectively control an area of the map. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 03, 2005, 09:27:43 PM
Reply #2

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
<3

very well written and thought out post.

It's no wonder your a h4x comm
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 04, 2005, 04:21:38 AM
Reply #3

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 04, 2005, 06:58:36 PM
Reply #4

Vitamin Lead

• Skulk

• View Profile
Awesome post. I like how you actually use turrets effectively both cost-wise and bringinthepaintothealiens-wise :D .

~VL

P.S. and yes, Rad does have a comm hack: it's called the rines listen to him hack :) .

January 04, 2005, 09:38:02 PM
Reply #5

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I've said it before and I'll say it again, trying to beat radcomm is like trying to play chess with a steamroller. You may play a mean game of chess, but he's just going to up and crush you.

Nice post rad.

January 06, 2005, 01:05:05 PM
Reply #6

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
As I learned yesterday, keeping a marine in CAT is a great way to deny the aliens up to 4 field nodes, and keep pressure on them.

If you can get a mine carpet at CAT, and push some marines through Chem/acidic at the same time, you can hit cargo from 3 different sides, kill fades, siege out fusion, and bring peace to mankind. In that order.