Author Topic: Beta 6 changelog  (Read 11931 times)

December 17, 2004, 05:20:10 AM
Read 11931 times

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
New Announcement on NS page: just incase you are curious

THE CHANGELOG!!! for those of you without the patience to go through 2 links...

Discuss!
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 17, 2004, 06:05:07 AM
Reply #1

CorvusX

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Onos should Xeno on death.

But yeah, those changes look awesome :lol:

December 17, 2004, 06:22:25 AM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I specifically like the changes that are pushing towards the obliteration of the defence first always strategies... although we will see how that turns out in the end as 2% heal rate still isn't exactly monumental...

December 17, 2004, 06:33:55 AM
Reply #3

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Wow.  This patch seems like it could fix a lot of things.  Primarily the new system for cloaking is exciting.  It'll actually make the upgrade like...useful.  

The polishing touches such as the new sounds/sprites (pretty handy that you'll see who joins what team on the HUD now) and the hitbox fixes are also gravy.

It's not often you'll read a changelog and actually be excited by a lot of things on it.  More often than not there's a single new feature with a whole lot of filler.  Thank god that's not so here.    <3

December 17, 2004, 06:46:31 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Even for somebody who has never played 3.0, those changes look cool. And while 2% regen isn't stellar, you get it for free. It still means that any lifeform will regenerate in fifty seconds tops. You can still boost that rate with regen, healspray, DCs or hives. It's nice because it means that you don't have to worry about getting those little scratches and bruises healed. Makes carapace a little more worthwhile if you ask me.

December 17, 2004, 07:57:23 AM
Reply #5

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
bah, no more onos juggle.

December 17, 2004, 07:59:54 AM
Reply #6

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
I just wrote an essay on why I liked these changes and how I think they could affect the game. I hit preview. I like what I have...

...I hit 'back'.

The sound of a thousand silent voices wailing "Nooooooo" was then heard.

This post will now be edited...
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 17, 2004, 08:04:17 AM
Reply #7

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Do what I do Crispy, ctrl-c everything you've written before clicking any buttons.
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

December 17, 2004, 08:28:25 AM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Just think, with the 0 res upgrades, almost every single skulk you will ever encounter will be upgraded.  You will hardly ever fight an un-upgraded skulk again.  That's really going to change things.
[snapback]36440[/snapback]
I was used to it from playing combat, it was the playing AS an unupgraded skulk that that I found hard to get used to...  I mean for a free character 2-6 res was never really worth it when you were saving for a gorge and RT or a higher lifeform, expecially when you died so fast even with upgrades.  Some great changes here.

[edit] turrets and OC's no longer prioritize structures... Mixed blessing, no more gorge OC superiority runs... but on the other hand CC spamming becomes alot harder...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 08:30:16 AM by SwiftSpear »

December 17, 2004, 08:29:24 AM
Reply #9

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
My only question is at 30% visibility, do you show up on MT?
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

December 17, 2004, 08:33:05 AM
Reply #10

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
My only question is at 30% visibility, do you show up on MT?
[snapback]36449[/snapback]
You don't ever show up on MT when not moving and always when moving, don't you?  hence the term motion tracking

The only reason it is so usefull for SC counter is that motion tracking screws over a cloak skulk or focus skulk when they are trying to pic a good ambush spot.

December 17, 2004, 09:01:47 AM
Reply #11

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Just think, with the 0 res upgrades, almost every single skulk you will ever encounter will be upgraded.  You will hardly ever fight an un-upgraded skulk again.  That's really going to change things.
[snapback]36440[/snapback]

I dunno, the evolution time is a bit of turn-off if your just a skulk.

December 17, 2004, 09:05:03 AM
Reply #12

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
oh my those changes look like sex, maybe this will drag me away from WoW

free skulk upgrades is basically boosting movement chambers first. yay!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 09:06:26 AM by fatty »

December 17, 2004, 09:18:22 AM
Reply #13

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
oh my those changes look like sex, maybe this will drag me away from WoW

free skulk upgrades is basically boosting movement chambers first. yay!
[snapback]36457[/snapback]
On this server it is making movement first godly.

December 17, 2004, 09:18:40 AM
Reply #14

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
/me huggles his constie icon.

Can't wait to play this new build, should even things up overall, and make commanding on LM even harder.

December 17, 2004, 10:24:39 AM
Reply #15

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Dec 17 2004, 09:29 AM]My only question is at 30% visibility, do you show up on MT?
[snapback]36449[/snapback]
You don't ever show up on MT when not moving and always when moving, don't you?  hence the term motion tracking
The only reason it is so usefull for SC counter is that motion tracking screws over a cloak skulk or focus skulk when they are trying to pic a good ambush spot.
[snapback]36451[/snapback]

Actually, you can cloak walk without showing on MT. My question is if you are running with cloaking, and 30% visible, does MT still track you?
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

December 17, 2004, 10:37:52 AM
Reply #16

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'm impressed, very impressed. Here's what I think.

O Aliens have innate regeneration at a rate of 2% per second, this regeneration will always heal at least 1 point of health or armor and stacks with DC healing, but doesn't 'stack' with Regeneration.
In my opinion this is one of the best changes included in Beta 6. Proposed to many a yea in the NS.org I&S forums this will radically change Alien gameplay. All classes will be able to employ a less hit 'n' run style of attacking. Carapace will be chosen more often although this also makes Dxx less of a neccessity. Defending a Hive will be easier and being spawncamped made harder with innate regen (+DCs +Hiveheal?). Lerks can be more offensive and camp vents with Carapace instead of obligatory Regen. Lerks with Carapace will therefor be a more flexible unit, having the opportunity to gas/umbra from cover and make attack runs when the opportunity presents itself. End game scenarios will be easier for attacking Aliens and more difficult for attacking Marines.
Alien coverage will move to the centrefield as they are able to hold positions instead of having to make an obligitory run back to the Hive for health. Whereas NS previously revolved around an Alien team defending its Hive to grind down Marine resources until a suitable moment for a counter-attack, the gameplay will be opened up to allow offensive/defensive strategies to both teams.

O Alien upgrades cost 0 resources.
O Gestating to skulk costs 0 resources.

When this was initially suggested in I&S I was totally against it (the former), and although I was still sceptical when I saw it on the changelog, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. A wonderful solution to the problems: "Alien RTs are too expensive and difficult to hold in the early game". Now Gorge can drop an RT and defend it in the early game and this also promotes tempgorging for res in every moment of the following stages of the game. This will also open up the class system at an earlier stage and allow players to use the Lerk (bearing in mind the improvements it has undergone), Fade and Onos sooner and with greater frequency. Everything about these changes serve to improve the early game and make it less likely that a round will be decided in the first minutes of the game as we will see RT-derived resources being a tighter race.

O Sieges no longer damage friendly players.
O Siege now does 330 Damage.

My views on this are in another thread.

O Players using Cloaking upgrade will no longer be fully visible at any time unless attacking.
O Players moving faster than walking pace will gradually become more visible the faster they move, but only to a max visibility of 30%.
O Turrets will not fire at aliens with less than 10% visibility.

Cloaking will become a more viable choice for SC upgrade and SCs a more viable preference as the first/second chamber. The 'gamma-hax' controversy will continue to have an undesired effect on the NS community.

O Parasite now takes precedence over Scent of Fear image (allows players to see that their Parasite hit when using SOF to help teammates track enemies).
O Parasite now has a different icon based on if the target was a player or a structure.
O Marines near Sensory chambers show up as if detected by Scent of Fear.

Improved SCs, innate regen... SDM, anyone? Sensories will allow a network of cloaked (see cloaking improvements) territory that will show up any incoming enemies. SCs will be placed imaginatively in safe or hidden locations to create early warning posts for Marine movement towards the Hives (RTs, key locations etc.). First-chamber Sensories could become an effective strategy for a speedy Alien expansion.

O Turrets now prioritize players over structures.
O Offense Chambers now priorities players over structures.

O Shotgun range begins to fall off at 500 units, and is then reduced by 1% for every 2 further units, resulting in 0 damage after 700 units, to stop shotgun sniping.
O Acid rocket now does double damage to armor.
O Bile Bomb's range has been increased by 15%.

Shotguns will be less effective against static defenses and at chasing down fleeing Aliens (and as a 'keeper' in Combat mode). Acid Rockets will be worth their points in Combat mode, and more frequently used. In Classic mode 3-Hive Fades will play a greater role in preventing a Marine comeback.

O Gave each Alien a unique landing sound.
O Updated Jetpack sound.
O Reverted LMG firing sound back to sound from beta 4.

One word: Thankyou!

O Updated Pistol reload sounds.
O Updated LMG clip out and clip in sounds.
O Updated welder idle sound to be more obvious when not welding anything.
O Replaced raindrop sprites.
O Updated med-pack model.

Anticipation +  o_O
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 10:39:41 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 17, 2004, 11:01:59 AM
Reply #17

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I think my favorite thing about the regen will be I can take carapace on my permagorge and not have to worry as much about those random falls and such.

As much as they are strengthening the sensory chamber, I don't see SDM being that great, Crispy. You really need movement as first or second because without that teleportation it is much harder to defend hives.

December 17, 2004, 11:08:59 AM
Reply #18

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Yeah but my point was that you can eliminate incoming enemies by seeing them earlier and taking them out before they get to the Hive. Ninja PGs will be harder with SCs telling you that there's a 'rine in your Hive room or in a siege room.
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 17, 2004, 11:36:59 AM
Reply #19

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
SMD will end up being the default order, and MSD will happen almost as often.  Sensory is ridiculously powerful, it took a while to make it not overpowered so much so that aliens were unstoppable with it.