Author Topic: easter eggage!  (Read 3272 times)

December 08, 2004, 01:56:04 PM
Read 3272 times

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
All-Knowing Vorginaut
While riding the water ski in the Canal levels, you come to a point where you fight a Combine Gunship before you can progress. After you destroy the gunship, look around that area and you will find two sewer tunnels, one of them has a grate which is ajar and you can slip through.
Sprint through the radioactive waste and exit through the hole in the tunnel to find a vorginaut with a sore throat. Talk to him many times to hear all he has to say.

:ph34r:  :huh:  :help:

[edit]
oh yeah, ~ map d1_canals_01

^__^
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:03:10 PM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 08, 2004, 08:05:36 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hmm, do you remember what he says (or know where someone listed it)? I don't feel like going all the way to that spot.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 08, 2004, 08:40:58 PM
Reply #2

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
map d1_canals_13 , shoot down the chopper, and go all the way to the back. Not far at all.

The most striking thing he says is "We and you are oneeeeeeeeeee."

Also, "The lesser master's defeat foreshadows the greater." and "You have brought us more grief and jubilation than you could imagine."

December 08, 2004, 10:19:06 PM
Reply #3

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
really interesting, you and I are one. It makes the gears turn  <_<

does he say any other things?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

December 08, 2004, 10:24:54 PM
Reply #4

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
really interesting, you and I are one. It makes the gears turn  <_<

does he say any other things?
[snapback]35596[/snapback]

Yeah. "Life is pointless if not laid down for freedom." Stuff like that. Seriously, once you get to 13, turn on god mode, shoot down the chopper, open the gate, and drive to the back. Takes all of 5 minutes.

December 09, 2004, 11:39:25 AM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I haven't even touched Hl2...

except when I went to the store, I got to lovingly gaze at it  :(

hence why I asked

December 09, 2004, 05:19:59 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually this is standard vortigaunt sayings. The vort that adds the gun to your boat says the same things, and also the one at Col. Cubbage's base where you shoot down the first gunship. But this one is nice because you don't have people talking over him in the background. You just have to run across the poison ground to get to him.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

December 09, 2004, 05:45:14 PM
Reply #7

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Are you sure bob? I spent some time just now and it seems he says the normal things at first, but then his voice changes (not as gruff) and he said an awful lot of stuff which he never repeated untill his voice became gruff again, at which point he said the things they all say, but never the stuff he said in his "clean" voice.

Some of what he said seemed to really mess up the story D:

He seems to indicate that the vortigaunt are of one mind, they all know everything each one knows (i seem to recall this being stated elsewhere in the game by a human).
He says that no veil of time or space can blind them. (something like that)
Also he says they clearly see you in black mesa, and in the nihilanth's chamber. o_O

I may just have to go download gcfscape and listen to these things over and over outside the game and make a full text file of them >_>
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 05:52:09 PM by A Boojum Snark »

December 11, 2004, 12:17:24 AM
Reply #8

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
do it, do it now

be sure to get *everything* he says  :D

December 11, 2004, 10:55:49 AM
Reply #9

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Are you sure bob?
Yep, it's standard. Talk to the vort that gives you the gun for the airboat, same sayings. They're standard. In fact, if you noclip through to areas you're not supposed to be, vorts will say the same things there. (Like Eli's kitchen, for example)

December 11, 2004, 11:15:56 AM
Reply #10

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So basically, Valve put that Vorti there to trick you.

December 12, 2004, 06:11:52 PM
Reply #11

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So basically, Valve put that Vorti there to trick you.
I'm not totally sure, it may be a leftover bit of a part of the game that was removed. I know the game went through a ton of changes before the final version. If you open up the source sounds gcf file with gcfscape and listen to some of the sayings, you can work out some interesting details. For one thing, the votigaunts originally were intended to fight alongside you at one point, like the citizens do. They have all kinds of sayings for when they kill someone, or for when you talk to them while they're with you, and the human squad member even have responses built in for when a vortigaunt speaks. All of it was cut, for some reason. Maybe they didn't have time to properly build the AI for them, or something. Hopefully we'll see more vorti sidekicks in some later expansion.

December 12, 2004, 07:25:18 PM
Reply #12

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ah, yes. There were a lot of things that were taken out. It' too bad too because HL2 could have been that much more awesome if they spent more time on it (although it has been a long time :p). And expansions are good.

December 16, 2004, 12:34:05 PM
Reply #13

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
now someone tell me wth they aren't trying to kill you in this game ;P

December 21, 2004, 10:14:17 PM
Reply #14

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I didn't actually follow the storyline much in HL (and besides, it was a long time ago), so I didn't realize that they were my allies. I thought I was supposed to kill them the first time I met them :blink:
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

December 22, 2004, 07:07:42 AM
Reply #15

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
2 of 8 thats why a big green cross comes up in front of your crosshairs  :D or does it?  :huh:

December 22, 2004, 11:53:37 PM
Reply #16

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Well, Gordon lowers his gun, so I guess that counts.

Remember, Vortigaunts were called slaves in the original HL, so I guess when Gordon killed the Nihilanth they thought of him as a liberator?

Even though he personally killed a whole bunch of their kind, too...
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

December 23, 2004, 01:00:45 AM
Reply #17

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yes but it wasn't his fault in a way though since he is just a pawn in the pocket of the g-man
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]