Author Topic: Magnum.  (Read 9142 times)

December 05, 2004, 10:42:52 AM
Reply #20

Cheez

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v41/tehcheez/
Why is it one shot kill weapons makes everyone so angry all the time....

Man valve was asking for it on that one.

One thing that did surprise me once, i got killed by a single madnum shot with 100 hp 100 armor :o

that's some magnum.

December 05, 2004, 10:54:37 AM
Reply #21

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Why is it one shot kill weapons makes everyone so angry all the time....

Man valve was asking for it on that one.

One thing that did surprise me once, i got killed by a single madnum shot with 100 hp 100 armor :o

that's some magnum.
[snapback]35260[/snapback]

Indeed. And being shot in the toe kills you too.

Also: Ah, it is true, the magnum does not go through things. But still, you must admit its overpowered :p

December 05, 2004, 01:43:59 PM
Reply #22

Cheez

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v41/tehcheez/
omg nerf quaunaut, he's overpowered.

December 05, 2004, 09:30:26 PM
Reply #23

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
with all this complaining about the magum being overpowered it is beginning to sound like the cs servers that don't allow the awp to be used.... for the last time it is not as overpowered as was stated in the beginning since holding an object with the grav gun and ducking will protect you....

as i stated earlier the complaints here will go no where since none of us code for valve.. for soemthing to be done talk with valve and until someone does or finds a way to "nerf" the gun by themselves that is actually fair to everyone complaining here will do nothing.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

December 05, 2004, 09:34:36 PM
Reply #24

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I think the magnum is fair. Every game has a weapon that is very overpowered. Like in Doom it was the BFG (Big :Ding Gun). Counter-Strike it was the awp. When people whine I just tell them "It's in the game for a reason" or Deal with it cause its apart of the game. Anyways games are designed this way, to have fun.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:38:53 PM by IntensityRising »

December 05, 2004, 10:35:51 PM
Reply #25

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
I think the magnum is fair. Every game has a weapon that is very overpowered. Like in Doom it was the BFG (Big :Ding Gun). Counter-Strike it was the awp. When people whine I just tell them "It's in the game for a reason" or Deal with it cause its apart of the game. Anyways games are designed this way, to have fun.
[snapback]35324[/snapback]

BFG was a slow moving projectile that only really worked in closed areas, unless you'd mastered the rays it cast. The AWP is still not a one hit kill all the time, only in certian hit locations and circumstances, and it must be fired while moving very slowly, and zoomed in. And there's a decently long cooldown.

The magnum blows away the BFG and the AWP. You can be running and hopping full tilt, zoomed out, and taking off rapid potshots killing one person per shot. I've done it (taken out multiple people in rapid succession), it is indeed lame.

December 06, 2004, 10:52:50 AM
Reply #26

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
As I stated elsewhere, the cvar sk_plr_357 should control the amount of damage the magnum does.  If it doesn't work (I can't get it working on my test server), then it might be possible to write a plugin that did this, however, looking at the SDK, it wouldn't be too easy to write.  I don't know of any plugins that do this.

December 06, 2004, 05:10:43 PM
Reply #27

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
As I stated elsewhere, the cvar sk_plr_357 should control the amount of damage the magnum does.  If it doesn't work (I can't get it working on my test server), then it might be possible to write a plugin that did this, however, looking at the SDK, it wouldn't be too easy to write.  I don't know of any plugins that do this.
[snapback]35365[/snapback]

If you tell me how to make a plugin, I could mod the SDK to pull it off.

December 06, 2004, 10:18:00 PM
Reply #28

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Well I've mastered the awp. Awp is easy to handle, You just need to know how to use it.

December 11, 2004, 11:02:34 PM
Reply #29

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
So this latest patch toned the magnum damage down.  Does it really make a difference?
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

December 12, 2004, 08:58:39 AM
Reply #30

ebnar

• Skulk

• View Profile
makes a major difference, especially on overwatch. people won't be able to whore the the spawns in the magnum area to as great an extent, and it seems to make it easier to whore the rocket launcher. on lockdown you're able to combine the magnum and the shotgun, to hurt with the magnum and finish off with the shotgun. with the magnum damage reduction, people will have to come up with more refined ways of dominating the game.

December 12, 2004, 10:24:41 AM
Reply #31

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Alright, two things- first, i do NOT own hl2 or hl2dm, so my opinions are nto necessarily true, or accurate

second, this reminds me of a problem with another game i played......

Everyone knows halo, yes?

everyone knows the pistol, yes?

the one with scope/pinpoint accuracy/smeiauto/nearly unlimited range/3 shot kill in multioplayer? Remember, so long ago in the original halo?

Sounds to me like the same problem is back, just a little different.  OK, so it kills in one hit.  So does the awp- but people deal with that, and it evcen has a scope.  Ok, you it is accurate-so is halo(origianls) pistol, but then, who cares? put the magnum loser(err...user) in a position such that they can't use it's advantages.  In cs, you counter the awp by hopping around and not running in straight lines.  In halo yoiu odnt go out into the open unlss you have a cover and know where the other person is.   Don' givre the enemy the advantages they want-use what you have to the best of your ability.  

So even if it kills you in one shot, even if it kills with pinpoint accuracy, WHO CARES?  deal with it, use soemthing else taht works better indoors and pwn them from behind, or just be sneaky git and hide and wait for the idiiots who wander around.  Do whatever, but just because it kills in one shot and all that jazz doesnt mean "OGM UNBALANCED NERF/BAN/HAX/REMOVE/BLAH!"  I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE WHINE LIKE THAT! learn to deal with the balance issues
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

December 12, 2004, 10:28:16 AM
Reply #32

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Actually Kodiac, you can escape the AWP by hopping. But due to the high ROF as well as the 6 bullets in its chamber and great accuracy on the magnum, you arent surviving it by jumping around
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 10:28:56 AM by Diablus »

December 12, 2004, 03:17:26 PM
Reply #33

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'll just have to aim for your guys' heads now to piss you off. :p
Christ guys, it's deathmatch, where death is, obviously, supposed to be a frequent occurance.  It's not like NS where the two sides are asymmetrical and there have to be balances.  Anything someone can do with the magnum in HL2DM, you can too.  Beat them at their own game.

OMFG I SUX WITH TEH MAGNUM AND PPL WIF AIM CAN SHOT ME, CRY CRY
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 03:21:48 PM by bacon_flaps »
signature

December 12, 2004, 04:17:22 PM
Reply #34

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Ok bacon, if deathmatch is where death is to be common and you should get over it and you can do everything they can. I'll make a deathmatch mod, only one weapon (so everyone can do things equally), the weapon will fire 2 rounds per second, and the rounds will each do 500 damage, because death is to be common. Think anyone will play? I doubt it.

This would be similar to what would happen if everyone took your advice of "beat them at their own game", you would have everyone running around with 357s and it would end up in a boring mess of stupidity. Or wait... not everyone can get the 357 cause it has a limited respawn time. So no, everyone does not have the ability to "beat them at their own game" if everyone cannot get access to the 357 at the same time.

Of course though there are other 1-hit-kill weapons, lets take a look at those and then the weapon in question.

-RPG: Only 3-4 rounds (i forget exactly which). Fast moving but possible to dodge at extreme ranges. Possible to kill more than one person per shot, but generally the maps are not populated enough to allow this to happen often.
-Physics objects: Unlimited ammo if you can find it all the time. rather slow moving and easily dodged at mid-range. Can be cought and fired back, some can be destroyed. Unlimited ammo if you can find it all the time.
-Crossbow: Comes with 5 rounds, 10 if you wait around for it to respawn. Moving targets at long range are difficult to hit. Slow bolt cycling period between firing. Quite deadly at close range.
-Singularity Orbs (i think thats what the pulse rifle nades are): Rifle usually found with 2 of these, can hold 3. Easy to get multiple kills due to its ricochet and slight homing capibilities. Virtually useless outdoors. Relativly slow moving and extremely easy to see. Can be cought at fired back with the grav gun if you are good with it.
-357 Magnum: Normally found along with an ammo pack, giving 12 rounds, can hold 18. Instant hit at any range. relativly medium rate of fire.

Now I realise the magnum is no longer instakill, but I wanted to compare them. Another thing is that when I would get killed with the magnum it was extremely annoying. The kind of annoying you feel when a rambo waltzes into the hive and kills your egg. When I get killed with the other weapons, I normally don't get anywhere near as annoyed unless I've been having a bad round.

December 12, 2004, 05:11:56 PM
Reply #35

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
well, i think that the magnum especially now is nota roblem.

the entire game is populated with one hit kills.

rpg.
crossbow.
smg grenades.
grenades.
orb dealy do.
physics objects.
magnum.

the only gun that doesn't have and insta kill is the default pistol.

the magnum is simply placed to prominatly in the map for my tastes. if it was and rpg it wouldnt matter.  haivng an insta gibl weapon in a spawn area is pretty stupid.
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

December 13, 2004, 12:38:08 AM
Reply #36

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
eh i've seen people get instakilled with the pistol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 01:10:05 AM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

December 13, 2004, 11:45:23 AM
Reply #37

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
yea, it IS possible to insta kill with the pistol. some wierd bug? dunno, qua was bitching about it to me, and I just kinda laughed at him, cause he had the weakest argument ever.

December 13, 2004, 01:31:30 PM
Reply #38

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Pistol glitch, you charge up your pistol by holding mouse 2 then pressing mouse 1, and after 30 seconds ago you release mouse 2 and you discharge your whole pistol clip into a guy, generally resulting in an instant kill.

They fixed it in the latest patch, along with making the magnum weaker.

December 13, 2004, 04:03:56 PM
Reply #39

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
The pistol-bug was really funny. 18-shots in 1 sec =D
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen