Author Topic: Gangster rap Appreciation  (Read 2286 times)

December 02, 2004, 06:10:36 PM
Read 2286 times

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
well, I was going to make another post in slanguistics, but it vanished :o [vanished is the wrong word, I have a good idea what happened to it  :(  <_< ]

so you all get another thread  v_v

COMPLETION OF THIS THREAD WITH LISTENING TO THE SONGS WILL TAKE A LITTLE OVER 5-6 MINUTES, IF YOU WATCH THE TRIBUTE VIDEO IT TAKES ANOTHER 5:15, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME  :)

Architeuthis'[/color] thread served an excellent purpose, it enabled me to realized how alien it looks to people who have no clue what is going, so I'm going to continue building the base for a healthy understanding of Mac Dre, as I'm going to point out the creme dele creme of his songs.

THIS MUSIC *DOES* HAVE A PARENTAL ADVISORY FOR EXPLICIT LYRICS, IF YOU HAVE QUALMS ABOUT SWEARING DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT CLICK LINK, AND GO STRAIGHT TO OT
Track 12 is going to be our guinea pig, as it's a song I have just started "slaping" on a regular basis at work. Also notice the album cover  :lol:

appreciating rap comes from two things: The beat [how the track sounds], and the flows [the verses themselves]

However, before we start with track 12, lets take a gander at something more familiar to the common square: Dr. Dre

you of know him right?

well besides being a rapper, he is mainly a producer. Track 10 is a very good introduction to rap because it's playable on the radio with very minimal editing, the flows are easy to understand [most people complaing about being unable to understand what they are saying] also the beat was made by Dr. Dre himself.

okay, so we've clicked track 10, and now we hear weird foreign sounding music.

First step: Pause, take in the beat
Step two: Nod your head to the beat, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it's syncronized to the "music" [track 10 is a good one becuase it's easy to feel the beat]
step 3: just listen

okay, after hearing the song, progess onwards into the land of no return by clicking on track 12

I personally like this beat, it hits hard. Especially when teamed with a decent subwoofer. The first voice you will hear is non other than Mac Dre.

Please complete steps 1 and 2 again

okay, after the first flow [which is good enough to warant listening to more of it] after the chorus we find ourselves in verse 2. Verse 2 is not mac dre, however it is one of his homies so bear with it [it's decent, but can't touch the first verse, which intern can't hang with the third]

Now comes the part about this song that made it go gold in my humble opinion

2:15 into the track the third and final verse hits, and Mac Dre just kills it ["killing it" means he stole the spotlight, did such a fantastic job it makes the rest pail in comparision, etc]

listen to this third verse several times, notice the "october can't be gone till november" I took me several days then I realized that it's basically a shout out to Wyclef Jean, who had a song [many years ago, it came out on tape] called "gone till november" execellent song, played with an acoustic guitar and sung decently, but it's a classic. Even thou it's a classic it's off topic.  I'm going to post the lyrics for the last flow, and what aspects of it that I enjoy. In the meantime, if you actually spent the time to go thru the song and listen to it, sit back, think for 30 seconds and find an aspect of the songs that you personally found enjoyable

If you have trouble understanding or comprehending what was said in one of the songs, give me a time in the track and I will clarify, or if you hear any slang you don't understand, post it as well, I would reference you to the slang list, but it's gone  :help:

The third time will be a charm because it's going to be the "healthy understanding of mac dre" with

~bio
~links to notable good tracks [streamed, of course]
~pictures of MD
~Links to several articles that go into depth about MD, like the 90's bank robbery fiasco, etc.
~other key factiods about him

I look forward to seeing you all in that thread, thank you for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to broaden your horizons

I will not tolerate any off topicness in this thread, or attempts to derail it. If you have nothing productive to say leave, and if you do say it, don't be suprised when I report it and it get's nuked.

[edit]
! <-- MAC DRE TRIBUTE MUSIC VIDEO, I just found it and it's set to the song "California Living" recorded in 91, but it has excerpts from other songs of his, including "to hard for the :Ding radio", and "I need an eight" to name a few, it also shows pictures of his album covers and is pretty informative when it comes to broadening the understanding of underground rap, I highly recommend you check it out
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:26:45 PM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 03, 2004, 12:07:06 AM
Reply #1

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
link to site works, but the "play" button doesn't.  No Realplayer here.  You by chance know of any other examples around on the net?
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

December 03, 2004, 11:51:46 AM
Reply #2

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
<_<

that is most unfortunet, I might be able to dig up some other streams, however that site works for me. I kinda foresaw realplayer being a thorn in the side but I will keep searching, I could have sworn you didn't need realplayer for the streams to work.

and I feel like a moron for confusing archi and vinnie, I was thinking of vinnie at the time for some reason  o_O

[edit]
here is the Lyricals for Don't Snitch [track 12]

Man, I'm thru :Ding around
You nigga's keep on it,
you gone be ducking some rounds
I'm rushing the mound
Bitch, that hit me with a pitch
He a snitch and he walk with a switch
He in a band that sing for the cops
He and his mans, they cleaning up shop
undercover concert promoter?! *
Ricky Shcroeder, trying to put someone over
Put the ET finger up, you stooley!
Don't tattle tale, the number one ruley
you the jumpers, the boys, the people
slipped in the game, sellin toys to people
I avoid you people, don't ask me ^^
The only law I break is in public grip
my mouth zips, I plead the fifth
and nigga's like you get pushed of a cliff

[chorus]

I'm on to you boy**
You used to be the man
Till I caught you up in the courtroom sitting on the stand
Got the wave in your hand
and pointing your finger
Holdin the mic like some kind of rap singer
I seen you
You told
and now you gotta live with it
They gone get you
and probably say pigs did it
:D you
:D who you been to
:D what your going thru
and :D what you who you think you been
Consider this a warning to you cats out rapping
The streets get ugly when a drive by happens
You rap nigga's out here starving for fame
Betta watch who you :D with, get a scar on your name
My young nigga locked up ball and chain
and yall niggas acting like it's all in the game
I hear niggas on the street want to blast this bitch
and when it happen
Don't ask me ^^!

[chorus]

You can line em' up and put twelve in a box
and find outcha boy is working with the cops!
doing flip-flops, the rover, rolling over
the tootsie roller, scared to do a [something]
It's October and he can't be gone till November
So he's giving up the game, every damn member
everythang he remember, he's telling!
he get out of jail free, aint no bellin
He's no felon, no misdamenor
He got a target mellon and an ET finger
Nigga you the cleanest, trying to watch me
quit peepin at my beemer, trying to watch me

[chorus]
[then they let the beat ride, this is where some good head nodding comes in handy]

*listen to how it in the background he says concert promoter again, that is a staple of Mac Dre's music the cool echo effect, I will showcase that in several other songs in the real thread
** listen to the break in the beat right there
[edit2]
you guys have all heard of that nizzle for shizzle dizzle thingy that snoop dog says right? Bonus points to whoever can figure out who originated it.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 06:55:38 PM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

December 04, 2004, 06:19:32 AM
Reply #3

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
The lyrics got pwned by smileys  :D
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 04, 2004, 08:36:07 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Edit: Grr, and my little quip got pwnd by immunity from the swearfilter. Sometimes it can be annoying to be an Admin.

Hah, who am I kidding, it's always annoying. :/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 08:37:11 AM by lolfighter »

December 04, 2004, 12:10:02 PM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
The lyrics got pwned by smileys  :D
[snapback]35148[/snapback]

That was my intention as I just wrote the lyrics out verbatim and let the LM swearfilter censor what has been deamed inaporpriate, anyone can use a little imagination :)