Author Topic: dual monitors  (Read 1815 times)

November 27, 2004, 11:30:28 PM
Read 1815 times

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
k I'm used to bothering NS.org off-topic with my tech support questions, but being that they're down, I'm turning here =D you guys prolly have more tech know-how anyway.  

just connected a 2nd monitor to my vid card, and I wanna know exactly what I can do with it... it's a radeon 9600 pro all-in-wonder fyi.

the biggest thing I want to do is be able to, like, browse the internet in monitor 2 while I play a game in monitor 1... get IMs in 2nd monitor, etc, without interrupting a full screen game... I guess this would either involve a 2nd keyboard or a way to switch which screen I want to type on...

anyway, c'est possible?  or is the most I can do have a bigger desktop? :*(

November 27, 2004, 11:59:57 PM
Reply #1

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
You just got yerself a bigger desktop :p

Yes, you are limited by one keyboard and one mouse.  But watch as non tech-savvy people's eyes blur as you drag a window from ONE monitor to the OTHER - VOODOOMAGIC! :wacko:

November 28, 2004, 02:04:26 AM
Reply #2

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
Well, I have experimented with dual screens and NS for a little bit.  You can have things open on one screen, and play NS on the other, but as soon as you try to access the things on the first screen, the game will minimize.  It seems to do with the fullscreen effects in windows, and windows not being able to deal with dual moniters as well as it should. There is also problems with other programs and dual screen, like in firefox, all popup menu stuff will show up on the first screen, even if it is in the second window.  Viewing movies in WMP is only possible on the main screen (unless they fixed it in the new version...) If you want to play a game on one, and IM and Surf the internet on the other, get a KVM switch and get a second computer.  Thats probably the easiest way.  

Non-tech people will do a double take when you drag it off one screen and onto another.  I have decided to buy a bigger LCD instead of getting 2 smaller ones.  It seems to be more of a value to get a 19-20 inch LCD and not deal with two 15 or 17 inch ones.  The cool factor applies to both :)

November 28, 2004, 02:17:34 AM
Reply #3

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
yea the only real reason for two moniters is like having notepad open one side and typing a paper on the other or so. maybe the new windows will support better features /shrug i always wish you could have like firstperson view on one screen and 3rd person on the other or so.

November 28, 2004, 10:30:42 AM
Reply #4

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
My experience in win XP was that it performed quite well, for some games ns included.
I actually miss my second monitor witha passion right now. I will be investing in 2 new monitors soon I just dont know what ones yet.

The problems:

cant access second screen while playing first screen full screen game with out minimized, might work if you run in windowed mode though i never tried that.

Games sometimes center themseslves and tehn maximize casueing teh second screen to do the same, examples of this included c and c generals.

some games will let teh cursor leave the game area and travel over to the second monitor causing a focus shift and wondows willl minimimze the game. again cc generals.

i really like having all my irc aim msn crap in one monitor, but it can be a pain, thouhg for certain games  you simply have to turn the second screen off.

i also think that windows media player 9 supports the second screen.

you can get two keyboards like i have and problably two mice as well but you need usb and it still will run on the windows focus system so it wont help you.

if you want that i suggest going out and buying a crapp old machin and running a linux install on it on so you can send ims read irc on one screen and on teh other play games like a manic. in only would go with linux on teh second one because it will allow you to run an utra craptastic machine.

if you want a huge desktop you can but monitors with insane aspect ratios an example being the mac studio displays. i know they are macs but they are quite nice: http://www.apple.com/displays/ and witha native 1680x1050 resolution how can you go wrong on the 30 inch ones it hits 2560x1680 for utter insantity. in fact i need to buy a video card taht can handle two of these babies:)

HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

November 28, 2004, 09:12:22 PM
Reply #5

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Your ATI liquivision/Catalyst control center should be able to set up those insane aspect ratios for you. However, don't expect it to work with most games.