Author Topic: Scientist Killing  (Read 6590 times)

December 29, 2003, 11:21:25 AM
Read 6590 times

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
There hafve been a number of times where I've been in games where I notice my team's scientist count dropping down, so I run to the labs to catch who I though would be escaping with a scientist. But when I got there, I find some guy shooting our scientists down instead.

What do you guys think of shooting down enemy scis randomly like that? Also, do you think that its fine for somone (like me) to go shoot down enemy scis in retaliation?

I ask because this whole thing has become rather frustrating, as I have been in smaller games (3v3) where our side will go from 4 or 5 scis down to zero in a matter of moments as they take one or two then mow downthe rest. Of course I have been in full games where people have done this as well, its just easier to know that 3 people aren't taking 5 scis out of your labs

December 29, 2003, 11:24:02 AM
Reply #1

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
well its a trade, by killin an enemy sci you waste 1000$ on their account but you make your own scientists less efficient. and add to that, that the enemy won't have sci's for some time(that draws from research and money too i think, doesnt sci produce money every sec. while active ?).

but it's better to grab the sci than to shoot it..

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

December 29, 2003, 12:36:53 PM
Reply #2

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I won't say "duh, pointless question", since I understand that this has been a matter of discussion in the S&I community pretty much since the game was released, so let me put it this way: The object of the game, as far as I remember (haven't played it for more than a year, will give it a try again as soon as I get back to Denmark), is capturing your opponent's scientists. Scientists produce research that gives you better weapons and various other goodies(?). I don't remember the winning conditions, but I think it's directly related to either scientists as well, or fighting (and scientists, or rather the advanced weapons they give you, are pretty instrumental to fighting well, correct?). In short, the side with many scientists wins, correct? So you steal your opponent's scientist. Why should killing them be wrong if stealing them is fine? Scientists will respawn after a time, so it's not like a single attacker is completely crippling you. Furthermore, iirc, your scientists will become "frightened" and work slower when you start killing enemy scientists, so there's a bad side to this deal as well; you're not depriving the enemy of his scientists for free. And besides, if you can kill the opponent's scientists, doesn't that mean you're in the lab? Unless I'm much mistaken, the enemy is supposed to protect that room, no? So they ain't doin' their job. Their bad. Their fault if something happens to their scientists I say.

Don't get me wrong: I wasn't a scientist killer back then, I ain't one now. It's honor-based (dang non-combatants. Arm yourselves so I can kill you, damn scientists!!). But I consider killing scientists a valid tactic: The game allows killing scientists right out of the box, so it certainly isn't an exploit. It has mechanics in place to avoid rampant scientist killing, so it's not something the Developers didn't think of. Heck, they could've made it impossible to kill the scientists, couldn't they?

Instead is killing the scientist influenced by rigid ratio of your own code of reputation: Because those are not killed you yourself, you must have reputation and grasshopper. As for that how or to you who how are decided in order to meet to cowardice of courage and justice it is in order to stoop in level. When you worry victory, with the return fill up the lake with the blood of the murder and the scientist. But if your center purity, your mind is large, from the flow your center of your reputation freely, like the snake and rat it is not the imitation, those of their strike shames are not copied and, to also their dishonorable maneuvers to lower with your purity those in order in spite.

Translation: Whether killing scientists in return depends on the rigidity of your own code of honor: Since you don't kill them yourself, you must have some honor, grasshopper. It is up to you to decide whether to stoop to their level, or whether to meet cowardice with valor and righteousness. If you care about winning, kill in return, and fill the lake with scientist blood. But if your heart is pure, your spirit is great, and your honor flows freely from your heart and is not fake like the serpent and the rat, you will not copy them in their shame, and you will strike them down in your purity regardless of their dishonorable tactics.

I'm not aware of any house rules on this topic, so if those exist, forgive my ignorance. If we don't have any, I'm willing to discuss the topic. Again, I haven't played it recently, so I don't know how much of a nuisance scientist killing is (blah, what is it with all these non-explosive scientists nowadays? Scientists should go "Freeman!" and "boom", in that order. Harumph.). If it runs rampant, I suggest a plugin: Kill one scientist and receive a warning, kill two scientists and receive a slap, three strikes and you're out (tempban). I'm strictly opposed to a complete ban for doing it, though.

NB: This entire reply is based on the assumption that it was an opponent who killed your scis. Killing your own team's scis is, of course, utter laming and a bannable offense. Nothing different from teamkilling, really.

December 29, 2003, 01:35:12 PM
Reply #3

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Babelfish is so awesome.  :lol:

Money production does depend on how many scientists you have, various upgrades give +$2 or +$3 per second per scientist, that on top of the original amount they give on top of any other upgrades that gave money pluses.

Ok, so I was kinda wondering people's ideas and opinions on the matters. I've been in games where if someone (like me) killed a scientist, everyone (including my team) would completely freak and tell the offender to knock it off. Now I won't feel as worried when I blast Jane Goodall in the face with a shotgun.  >:D

And killing enemy scientists does drop the effort of your own scis, but that doesn't usually matter if you have someone brain beaming your own scis.

December 29, 2003, 02:12:08 PM
Reply #4

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Actually, kill the scis enough and you'll get a zapper implant. Next time you kill one, ZAP you are dead!  >:D

If you accidently kill one, I'd say it is fine. On purpose, excessive Sci killing is being a llama.

I don't think you can ever kill your own, I'd have to check how FF affects that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 02:12:42 PM by Lightning Blue »
To the stars!

insert witty line here

December 29, 2003, 04:09:39 PM
Reply #5

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
well ... it's bad to kill scis?
now you tell me...
i used to just run in, plant as many radios as possible (if we have them), smack a sci and cap a couple on the way out. maybe i should skip the cap a couple part

December 29, 2003, 04:28:19 PM
Reply #6

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Actually, kill the scis enough and you'll get a zapper implant. Next time you kill one, ZAP you are dead!  >:D

If you accidently kill one, I'd say it is fine. On purpose, excessive Sci killing is being a llama.

I don't think you can ever kill your own, I'd have to check how FF affects that.
WRONG!
Trust me, I have gotten the zapper implant before.. You can kill a number of scis with it in before you get killed by it. Anyways.. it usually takes like 16 sci kills before you get it.

and all you kiddys should be happy that the sci cloning price has gone down. It use to be 5000, that was devistating.. now its what.. 1000?

December 29, 2003, 05:17:17 PM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh, one thing I forgot: If your own team doesn't want you to kill scientists (for matters of honor or loss of effectivity or whatever), don't do it.

December 29, 2003, 05:57:10 PM
Reply #8

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
If I'm kidnapping a sci, and I'm the only member of my team in the room (so only one sci leaves this trip) I bust out my handgun and kill them all, destroy what machinery I can and then make my break. That way even if they stop me I cost them money on cloning, a blank ammount of time in their cash flow, and money on replacing equipment. Furthermore...I drop all my radios in the room so that when their scis DO respawn they will be destracted. Also, I'm probable costing them valuable attackers who will guard there scis. Which you'd think would hurt my team but I tend to do with when we have equal or more scientists than they do.

I think it's a valid tactic full of honor. Honor and loyalty towards ones own company. The G-Man wishes it so. I don't want to get fired, I've got kids at home ffs!
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

December 29, 2003, 07:21:35 PM
Reply #9

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I run in, radio the place up, knock a sci out, drop him, repeat until theres 1 left, then run away with him
Its not killing him, but it does put them out of duty for awhile

December 30, 2003, 02:34:38 AM
Reply #10

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
It may seem "lame" but I constantly tell my team to kill the scis if they have more than us, and we have the mindray. Just constantly midray while you pwn their $$$. ;)
Got himself banned.

December 30, 2003, 07:40:37 AM
Reply #11

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Honor? HONOR?? Grasshopper, your grasp of honor is meek like the cow and the vulture that feed on grass and dead animals. Killing unarmed foes is weak like noodles boiled for too long. You are trained in combat and will always prevail, yet you do nothing to even out the odds? Hand the scientists your weapons and face them honorably, unarmed. Only then will you learn what it means to be a true warrior, and you will learn not to fear death in combat.

December 30, 2003, 11:13:27 AM
Reply #12

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Too bad we can't fling our crowbars around.  ^^

January 01, 2004, 10:52:28 PM
Reply #13

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i grab 1 sci, then beat the rest with my briefcase, and run with a gun out OR, if we have that brain wave thingy that shoots blue laser or those annoying radios ioll plant those instead.... then kill 1 scientist just for the hell of it and if we have the flesh eating virus and i have time and no guys are shooting me, ill spam a bunch near the scis just because im a evil co-worker (i never tried it b4 yet but im sure it works >:D )
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 10:55:56 PM by Diablus »