Author Topic: that 'kill JFK' game causing a scandal  (Read 2659 times)

November 24, 2004, 11:03:04 AM
Read 2659 times

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
storeh

"In "JFK: Reloaded," the player views former President John F. Kennedy's fateful Dallas motorcade from the sixth-floor window of the Texas School Book Depository Building in which Lee Harvey Oswald sat and is charged with the mission of assassinating the president."

the company is trying to say it's 'historical' and a 'docu-game'.  of course people are pissed, esp. the Kennedys.  

I haven't played the game so I don't know how tasteless it is.  regardless, tasteless movies, articles, radio broadcasts, and stuff don't get nearly as much exposure.  everyone is DYING for more excuses to think video games are bad.  I'm sure it's just one of those $10 bargain bin games that expects to sell on the shock value alone.  like 30 such B-movies come out every year... Howard Stern's made a living out of saying tasteless things for what must be decades now (though he does get negative press too)...

just something to think about.

November 24, 2004, 12:44:12 PM
Reply #1

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
What a crappy game, sounds way too short.
And guys, that whole Kennedy thing is still a sensitive subject... its only been what.. 41 years? they should switch to Lincoln...

(cant quite find the sarcatstic eye rolling smiley i want to put here) :rolleyes: oh there it is.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:44:33 PM by LowCrawler »

November 24, 2004, 01:53:26 PM
Reply #2

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
What a crappy game, sounds way too short.
And guys, that whole Kennedy thing is still a sensitive subject... its only been what.. 41 years? they should switch to Lincoln...

(cant quite find the sarcatstic eye rolling smiley i want to put here) :rolleyes: oh there it is.
[snapback]34111[/snapback]

so true :lol:

November 24, 2004, 02:37:21 PM
Reply #3

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
What do you want for Christmas Timmy?

I want that game where you get to assasinate JFK where YOU can be the person everyone in the United States hates with a passion along with the scandals,! And the handheld toy figures of JFK and Oswald with special judo chop attack for hand to hand combat action!

I heard when you pull off a headshot you hear that CS server voice echo it outloud.

November 24, 2004, 02:49:02 PM
Reply #4

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
You mean the sound that was ripped from Unreal Tournament?

Can't wait for the Kill JFK speedrun videos, "oll i fired 5 shots in the time oswald took 3, oswald si nub"  :rolleyes:
signature

November 25, 2004, 07:13:50 AM
Reply #5

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You gotta admit that a game like that IS pretty tasteless.
Oh well, video games are still in the adolescent phase of their life. Movies were not considered a serious medium comparable to books until they'd been on the scene for quite some time. We're just beginning to see video games gain the same kind of recognition, and it'll still be a few years before video games gain any kind of mainstream acceptance. It's not like video games are in any danger of dying out. The public just loves their scandals. My advice, if someone gives you a lecture on how your hobby turns you into a violent lunatic, just give them the psycho eye and they'll leave you alone. Practice it in front of the mirror.
Alternatively, just say "Yes, my hobby will turn me into a serial killer in a few years. There can not be the slightest doubt about that." in the most serious, normal voice you can muster and see how they react.

November 25, 2004, 09:25:46 AM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
What I wanna know is how the Nazis, Khmer Rouge, Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, and the Huns got a hold of video games to make THEIR psycho killers! Must have been some craaaazy time machine.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

November 25, 2004, 09:32:40 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
See? Video games even destroy our past! In that, video games are worse than nuclear bombs!

November 27, 2004, 12:26:23 PM
Reply #8

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
One game on the "worst list" is "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," in which the hero vows to avenge his mother's murder and restore glory to his neighborhood gang. The National Institute on Media and the Family recommends that adults avoid purchasing for children and teens "Doom 3," "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," "Half-Life 2," "Halo 2," "Resident Evil: Outbreak," "Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy," "The Guy Game," "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude," "Mortal Kombat: Deception" and "Rumble Roses."

Halo 2 is not THAT violent. And what parent would buy "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude," for their kid??????!!?

The organization recommends for children and teens "ESPN NFL 2K5," "Pikmin 2," "Sly 2: Band of Thieves," "Karaoke Revolution Volume 3," "Madden NFL 2005," "Jak 3," "Prince of Persia," "Myst IV: Revelation," "RollerCoaster Tycoon 3" and "SimCity 4."

WTF!? most of these game suck ass

November 27, 2004, 02:35:15 PM
Reply #9

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
what is a corporate endorsement?

not saying there IS one, just that their MIGHT be one.  You might want to check what company all those games come from, like, how many are from EA.  Oh, and just because it sounds like a government agency doesn't mean squat.;
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

November 27, 2004, 03:00:58 PM
Reply #10

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
okay so the lowcrawler just decided that he would like to play this game, since its getting so much publicity. Because we all know, if we dont want kids to do something, lets make alot of noise about how terrible it is.

So low downloads the game without reading anything on the site at all to find out that

YOU HAVE TO PAY TEN BUCKS TO PLAY THE DUMB GAME!

so to me, sounds like needing a paypal account, which, i assume requires a credit card, is a damn fine way to keep people under 18 from playing this game.
and oh ho hohohoho

take a look at the fancy disclaimer on the page!

JFK Reloaded contains mature content not intended for children.
If you’re a parent or guardian, please review this content before showing it to your child.

oh and dad bought me leisure suit larry... UNCENSORED HEHEHEHE FTW!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:10:49 PM by LowCrawler »

November 27, 2004, 04:58:00 PM
Reply #11

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3

Excuse me, but that game is exploding with loads and loads of violence. ever put the velocity of the roller coasters above 100 on the ones that shoot up around a loop and go down? WELL THE PEOPLE ON THE ROLLERCOASTER LAUNCH OFF INTO A FIREY EXPLODING DEATH WHEN THEY HIT THE GROUND. sometimes EVEN landing on other people.

And did you know you can drown people by picking them up and dropping them in the water? U HEAR THEM SCREAMING FOR HELP UNTIL THEY FINALLY DISSAPPER INTO THE WATER WITH NOTHING BUT A TRACE OF BUBBLES!

you see? a very, very voilent game . Ever drown the entertainer in the panda suit? lol sheer funnage.

November 28, 2004, 07:22:28 AM
Reply #12

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sounds more like Black & White to me...

November 28, 2004, 10:14:31 AM
Reply #13

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Black & White was a good game.....until I got bored of it. <_< It need something more, but B&W 2 looks like it could have that if it ever comes out.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.