Author Topic: Warezed Soundforge Files In Windows Media Player  (Read 2341 times)

November 23, 2004, 08:11:49 AM
Read 2341 times

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/13/0036243
An anonymous reader writes "German PC-Welt magazine reports that Microsoft used an illegal copy of SoundForge 4.5 (Google translation) for editing Wave files shipped with Windows Media Player. You can check that yourself by opening any file in the [Windows location] \Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav\ folder in notepad or other editors of your choice and looking at the last line. There you will find a reference to SoundForge 4.5 and also a user called 'Deepz0ne' who happens to be one of the founders of an audio software cracking group called Radium."

just found it funny. :p

November 23, 2004, 09:16:30 AM
Reply #1

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
:lol:  ms == pont

I find this very funny, I wonder what MS will do
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

November 23, 2004, 09:31:03 AM
Reply #2

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
rofl, can't wait to see where this one goes.

November 23, 2004, 09:38:54 AM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

November 23, 2004, 03:02:54 PM
Reply #4

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oo, corporations conflicts are fun.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 23, 2004, 04:51:50 PM
Reply #5

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah watch microsoft win this case, or at least not lose enough money to hurt them :p. EITHER WAY I WILL STILL LAUGH!

I reveal penis I know psychology.

November 24, 2004, 10:17:22 AM
Reply #6

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Haha.

Well, the blame for this is more than likely going to be taken by an individual, not the corporation themselves.

I very much doubt that Microsoft has warezed programs on their computers, and if they do, it's the fault of the person that installed them, not Microsoft themselves. Whoever was responsible for making those .wav files will most likely be fired.

MS can't check each and every file manually for this kind of thing. For example, i have 16,380 files in my windows directory in 795 folders, it would take roughly 70 hours (given 15 seconds per file) to check each and every file, that's pretty much 3 days constantly checking, that's just not humanly possible, given the rate at which they must update those files too.

As for the distribution of those files, well, the files themselves aren't illegal, they just serve as evidence that someone has done something illegal, if the company that own SoundForge do attempt a suit, i doubt very much that they will win.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

November 24, 2004, 09:47:39 PM
Reply #7

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Even if Microsoft did they lose. I dont think Bill Gates would really care. It would be pocket change to him. I bet hes never even seen a coin before.

November 25, 2004, 09:05:38 AM
Reply #8

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Soo, MS uses warezed software.  I'm taking this to mean its ok to warez ms software?

November 25, 2004, 09:31:09 AM
Reply #9

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nuh-uh, they'll still sue you to smithereens. They can afford expensive lawyers, you can not. Tough luck.

November 25, 2004, 10:05:10 AM
Reply #10

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Soo, MS uses warezed software.  I'm taking this to mean its ok to warez ms software?
[snapback]34192[/snapback]

Not in the slightest as MS doesn't endorse the warezing of software nor has MS actually done so.

Two wrongs don't make a right. :)

November 26, 2004, 08:11:48 PM
Reply #11

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
So, in other words.  MS can ignore other companies rights, however I cannot ignore MS's rights?  How does that make sense?

November 26, 2004, 08:32:46 PM
Reply #12

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
So, in other words.  MS can ignore other companies rights, however I cannot ignore MS's rights?  How does that make sense?
[snapback]34285[/snapback]

Ok, i'll spell it out.

MS didn't at any point warez software, nor condone the warezing of software. An individual under the employment of Microsoft did. Therefore the guy who warezed the software is at fault, not the company that hired him as they did nothing to break the law.