Author Topic: Praise Be To Valve  (Read 4692 times)

November 16, 2004, 04:06:44 AM
Read 4692 times

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
HL2 IS OFFICALLY THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE.

November 16, 2004, 05:35:30 AM
Reply #1

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
HOW CAN VALVE BE SO GODLY
-_^

November 16, 2004, 08:41:18 AM
Reply #2

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
You know that episode of South Park, where Cartman buys his own 'disneyland' type place, and rides the rides all alone all the while squeeling and laughing at how happy he is.

Yeah, I've had that feeling since midnight.  Haven't gone to sleep yet.  At work now tho - 9 hr break from HL2, that's going to be a downer when that sets in.

Kudos to steam, seems to have handeled the midnight rush flawlessely.

yaaaaaaaaay, I'm so haappppy, yaaaaaaaaaaay

November 16, 2004, 08:44:01 AM
Reply #3

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I kinda feel like the little girl with the matchsticks right now. Maybe I'll be emo and set myself on fire, just for fun...

November 16, 2004, 08:58:36 AM
Reply #4

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

HOLY CRAP, THIS IS AWESOME[/font]

November 16, 2004, 09:35:00 AM
Reply #5

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
waiting... SUCKS

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

November 16, 2004, 10:01:03 AM
Reply #6

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
I know duckies pain D:
stuck here at school instead of killing zombies and evading tank homing missles....
STUPID HOMING MISSILES!

November 16, 2004, 06:19:06 PM
Reply #7

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm sure the single player game is great, but when we tried to play CS:S today, Steam screwed us over. One guy couldn't athenticate it for some reason. Someone else's copy of Half-Life 2 was defective. So we played Halo 2 instead (but I'm going to play some HL2 now - finally).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 16, 2004, 11:42:26 PM
Reply #8

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Argh, to have a major paper due the week HL2 comes out!  I can't stand it!  Can't focus, must play!
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

November 17, 2004, 01:24:11 AM
Reply #9

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ya know, every forum I go to has one of these posts, but yet no one has been able to say WHY HL2 rules.  Not that I don't believe you, I just get sick of hearing it redundantly without any reason.

November 17, 2004, 01:59:31 AM
Reply #10

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Ya know, every forum I go to has one of these posts, but yet no one has been able to say WHY HL2 rules.  Not that I don't believe you, I just get sick of hearing it redundantly without any reason.
[snapback]33537[/snapback]

cuz its hl2 yes?????!!!!!!!  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

November 17, 2004, 03:32:23 AM
Reply #11

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well I'll give my first impressions of the game.

The graphics are gorgeous, and the light maps didn't turn out nearly as bad as the early screenshots.  I do have a stutter every time I walk into a new room, which gets REALLY annoying.

The collision code is a little bit weird, especially when you strafe into an object, you don't slide across like in HL.  Although this seems more "realistic", it makes navigating levels a bit more annoying.  Jumping makes you leap forward at SUPER FAST speeds, making it a nice strategy for getting away from enemies (I thought valve wanted to eliminate retarded hopping..haven't tried the sprint key yet though, so it might be just as fast).

The dialogue and story so far are awful.

Not sure how they managed to mess up the Havok engine, but I've noticed several objects being able to pass through each other.  Perhaps this was done to save on performance, which is understandable.

The "throw" function is really weak, and makes gordon look like a pansy.

Little bells and whistles shine everywhere, and really make the game interesting to explore.

The combine soldiers are really hard to understand.  They almost sounds as if valve accidentally went

Code: [Select]
combineVolume = 0.5;
So yeah, there's my non-fanboyish first impressions.  More to come soon...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 03:34:23 AM by Sancho »

November 17, 2004, 04:39:47 AM
Reply #12

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
How can you not like the diologue and story so far?  Its the best atmosphere/story I've ever seen in an FPS.

November 17, 2004, 06:17:09 AM
Reply #13

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i have subtitles turned on sancho, they really help :)
-_^

November 17, 2004, 08:07:07 AM
Reply #14

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
... im waiting till thanksgiving to buy it, too much school going on.
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

November 17, 2004, 08:38:32 AM
Reply #15

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I'll give my inmpressions, I'm on about Chapter 4 (Ravenholm)

The graphics are gorgeous, and the light maps didn't turn out nearly as bad as the early screenshots.  I do have a stutter every time I walk into a new room, which gets REALLY annoying.
I have the same stutter, but it's when there are new sounds. It seems that this game is very system intensive, but it doesn't bother me all that much. However, in more detail, the graphics are amazing. The facial expressions, AND how well the characters are animated, to the way they sulk when depressed, to the way they turn their torso to talk to you as they walk backwards, is amazing. The environment is immersive, from the great detail in the textures, to the odd placements of trash, bottles, etc, making this game "feel" like a real place.

The collision code is a little bit weird, especially when you strafe into an object, you don't slide across like in HL.  Although this seems more "realistic", it makes navigating levels a bit more annoying.  Jumping makes you leap forward at SUPER FAST speeds, making it a nice strategy for getting away from enemies (I thought valve wanted to eliminate retarded hopping..haven't tried the sprint key yet though, so it might be just as fast).
Actually, the collision has its bad moments. I've learned to jump a couple extra feet out when I'm trying to get on top of something, so I don't accidentally tip it over. Oh, and a funny/annoying thing. Build a ladder with barrels, and try to jump up it. It's funny that sometimes the barrels start to wobble and kill you instantly, seriously. I've had it happen three times thus far.

The dialogue and story so far are awful.
I adamantly disagree. From the guy contemplating with himself in the train station at the beginning, to the dialogue with the scientist and Alyx, I really enjoy it. And I like the fact they talk AS you walk to the next place, instead of standing around...

Not sure how they managed to mess up the Havok engine, but I've noticed several objects being able to pass through each other.  Perhaps this was done to save on performance, which is understandable.
I've only run into very few instances of the physics engine allowing odd stuff. One being that a barrel ladder catapulted me about thirty feet in the air, but I've not seen any items "pass through" one another.

The "throw" function is really weak, and makes gordon look like a pansy.
Wait until you get the gravity gun. I do agree that being able ot throw a bottle or can a long way would have been nice...

Little bells and whistles shine everywhere, and really make the game interesting to explore.
Yes indeed. Too bad the game's atmosphere makes you feel like you should be running top speed all the time, because there were places I wanted to explore.

The combine soldiers are really hard to understand.  They almost sounds as if valve accidentally went
Code: [Select]
combineVolume = 0.5;
Not really, it's definitely distorted, but I understand them. I've also listened to the female voice on the radio when you kill a combine soldier, and she constantly changes the message depending on where you are, and what's happened, really neat IMO.

Overall, I like this game alot. I'm taking my sweet time playing it, I want to make sure I get to enjoy every moment. And  can't wait to use the Gravity gun in MP...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:42:02 AM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

November 17, 2004, 09:35:13 AM
Reply #16

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The collision code is a little bit weird, especially when you strafe into an object, you don't slide across like in HL.  Although this seems more "realistic", it makes navigating levels a bit more annoying.  Jumping makes you leap forward at SUPER FAST speeds, making it a nice strategy for getting away from enemies (I thought valve wanted to eliminate retarded hopping..haven't tried the sprint key yet though, so it might be just as fast).
Actually, the collision has its bad moments. I've learned to jump a couple extra feet out when I'm trying to get on top of something, so I don't accidentally tip it over. Oh, and a funny/annoying thing. Build a ladder with barrels, and try to jump up it. It's funny that sometimes the barrels start to wobble and kill you instantly, seriously. I've had it happen three times thus far.

Thats happened to me one more than one occasion. Even at the beggining of the game, running through the trainyard after getting your suit. I jumped inbetween a railcar and a wall, and ended up getting instagibbed. Sometimes I fall between a box and another object, hover, and then slam into the ground real hard. (Warning, major fracture detected! beep beep!)

One thing I noticed too is overlapping shadows, a bug that everyone saw via the screenshots released over a year ago. (of a freight container stacked on another, both thier shadows sticking out like sore thumbs) Figured they'dve fixed that. Oh well, I'm not one to be bothered by minor cosmetic screw ups.

The other thing that I find pecuilar is Combine Overwatch behavior. They seem to be drawn to open doors like moths to a porchlight. I'll sit next to an open door, maybe dodge a random grenade or two that they might throw in, then wait for them to walk in and sign up for magnum-to-the-face 101. If I run from the door, they tend to take up positions by any windows that might be present and enter when I say, run upstairs or into another room. (as I would think they should) But damn, at least have the sense to use the back door, eh?

Other than silly combine and shadows, I have no quips about HL2. It's a bloody blast and thats how it should be! ONWARD MY BROTHERS!! *Gregori laugh*

November 17, 2004, 11:35:22 AM
Reply #17

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well I'm not that far into the game, only about 1 hour, so hopefully the story will get better.  The NPC dialogue is great, but the part that annoyed me were barney/alex/scientist.

Firstly, barney greets you like "OMG GORDON, REMEMBER ME, WE WERE BEST FRIENDS AND WENT HUNTING AND FISHING TOGETHER AND FROLLICKED IN THE FIELDS", and I just want to think, "no, there were 100 of you that all looked the same and sometimes I threw a grenade at you when you got stuck behind something."  The whole idea of taking characters from HL that there were used MULTIPLE times and then make them into one character just doesn't work for me, especially when that one character acts like your best bud when they acted like a complete stranger in the first.

Then, there's the first encounter with alex.  No spoilers here, but if you played it you know what happens.  That scene reminded me of a bad james bond film and made me laugh (in a bad way).

Like I said, I'm not that far into the game, so chances are it will get better, but I will always be haunted by those first scenes.  :(

Haven't had any real big problems with the physics instagibbing me, but I have had weird effects.  Like if you pick up an object and move it into something, it will flop all over the place like a dying fish.

Yes indeed. Too bad the game's atmosphere makes you feel like you should be running top speed all the time, because there were places I wanted to explore.

I did notice that in the initial "RUN AWAY REAL FAST" scene.  I was immediately upset when I wasn't able to fully explore the areas, which I compulsively do.  I hoped it was only because I didn't have a weapon and that it would slow down later on. <_<

I'll try turning the subtitles on, but I really do think they're too quiet.  In the beginning when there is that guy talking on the TVs everywhere, I'd turn my volume up to try to hear what the soldiers are saying, but they're easily drowned out by the blaring loud TV.  Later on, I still have the same problems, with all the sounds being SUPER LOUD except the soldiers.

November 18, 2004, 03:21:16 AM
Reply #18

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Well I'm not that far into the game, only about 1 hour, so hopefully the story will get better.  The NPC dialogue is great, but the part that annoyed me were barney/alex/scientist.

Firstly, barney greets you like "OMG GORDON, REMEMBER ME, WE WERE BEST FRIENDS AND WENT HUNTING AND FISHING TOGETHER AND FROLLICKED IN THE FIELDS", and I just want to think, "no, there were 100 of you that all looked the same and sometimes I threw a grenade at you when you got stuck behind something."  The whole idea of taking characters from HL that there were used MULTIPLE times and then make them into one character just doesn't work for me, especially when that one character acts like your best bud when they acted like a complete stranger in the first.

Then, there's the first encounter with alex.  No spoilers here, but if you played it you know what happens.  That scene reminded me of a bad james bond film and made me laugh (in a bad way).

Like I said, I'm not that far into the game, so chances are it will get better, but I will always be haunted by those first scenes.  :(

Haven't had any real big problems with the physics instagibbing me, but I have had weird effects.  Like if you pick up an object and move it into something, it will flop all over the place like a dying fish.

I did notice that in the initial "RUN AWAY REAL FAST" scene.  I was immediately upset when I wasn't able to fully explore the areas, which I compulsively do.  I hoped it was only because I didn't have a weapon and that it would slow down later on. <_<

I'll try turning the subtitles on, but I really do think they're too quiet.  In the beginning when there is that guy talking on the TVs everywhere, I'd turn my volume up to try to hear what the soldiers are saying, but they're easily drowned out by the blaring loud TV.  Later on, I still have the same problems, with all the sounds being SUPER LOUD except the soldiers.
[snapback]33561[/snapback]

Everyone loves barney, How can you not love him? I was dissapointed about the run away real fast thing about the train station place. I thought you could of seen more npc stuff. But i really love the storyline so far. Am right now at nova prospect

November 18, 2004, 09:07:02 AM
Reply #19

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Debating the quality of the HL2 engine and storyline is interesting.  I like hearing what you guys have to say about it.... all I ask is to be extra extra cautious not to spoil different scenes of the game.  

If we want to get nit-picky about citing the story line and flaws, I suggest a new thread with an appropriate warning label!