Author Topic: Demo Of That Game On Hera  (Read 5361 times)

November 02, 2004, 08:50:06 AM
Read 5361 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I have a bad habit of recording various games for the fun of it, mainly b/c I have crap internet at home, and when I can't play, I can watch a few of my matches to see what I did right/wrong, or just laugh at some of the antics of my fellow players.

Last week, we played a pretty great game on hera, I was aliens, scooter blue commanded (get him a RS so he doesn't get kicked all the time). We decided to go sensory first, and it made for an interesting game. Anyways, this is about as epic gets for NS 3.x, and I wanted to share that with the people who were there, and even for those who weren't. It's from my perspective as alien, and the game last around 40 minutes. It was great fun. Check it out.

http://www.thebuzz-online.net/downloads/ns/lm19.zip
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

November 02, 2004, 08:59:31 AM
Reply #1

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
11 am: link doesn't allow anyone to download =/ fix it i wanna see!

12:45; works now o_O wasn't going before.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:44:29 AM by holy_devil »

November 02, 2004, 10:07:49 AM
Reply #2

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
It works for me...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

November 03, 2004, 09:52:44 AM
Reply #3

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Wow, what an Epic game. Great teamwork, great communication, good players on both teams. Brilliant.

Some of my favorite moments..

- Early game sensory-network antics in cargo.

- Getting chases towards MS as an un-upgraded ono, only for the marines to distress beacon and you having to do a 180 and swifty upgrade to redemption to escape.

- The mid-game battles with HA for control of the hives culminating in a tense standoff in Archiving to save the unfinished hive.

- The countless ninja-devouring and PG crushing you did.

- Devouring a HA and his JP buddy giving chase, following you all the way into Archiving before you are slain. With the HA now freed inside Archiving, a quick PG, the hive is dead, and the game isnt over yet!

November 03, 2004, 10:49:54 AM
Reply #4

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
rad4christ your skulking made me cry... you should play combat as a skulk and not buy leap to get better...

rad do you not know redemption drops whoever you are eating?? this boned your team when you devoured a heavy, ran to archiving and he popped out, pretty much handing the marines a free phase gate and dead hive. this hive also died thanks to the lack of movements. you NEED movements 2nd if they are not first, for the simple fact that skulks can movement in while a hive is under attack.

from the looks of it, the marines were not nearly as good teammates as the aliens were.

scooter letting all his important buildings go down to SKULKS!?!? hotkey the observatory. please. please. please. please scooter. you will see it blink when under attack.

the complete lack of lerks and fades during early and midgame turned an easy alien win into a close game.

November 03, 2004, 12:00:45 PM
Reply #5

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Some of my favorite moments..
- Early game sensory-network antics in cargo.
Yeah, I love sensory for the fun of it. Playing with hellbilly with only four health was good stuff.
- Getting chases towards MS as an un-upgraded ono, only for the marines to distress beacon and you having to do a 180 and swifty upgrade to redemption to escape.
That scared me, I thought I was gone for sure, but the beacon saved me. :p
- The mid-game battles with HA for control of the hives culminating in a tense standoff in Archiving to save the unfinished hive.
- The countless ninja-devouring and PG crushing you did.
It was funny devouring Sgt.Fury again and again just to be redempted to hive, then Grill asking if ono ever die just in time for me to eat him ^_^
- Devouring a HA and his JP buddy giving chase, following you all the way into Archiving before you are slain. With the HA now freed inside Archiving, a quick PG, the hive is dead, and the game isnt over yet!
[snapback]32683[/snapback]
THat was a mistake on my part, but luckily our team was able ot make up for it. There were a few times I had a HA in my belly with another onos/gorge beside only to redempt and leave them stranded with a new foe...

rad4christ your skulking made me cry... you should play combat as a skulk and not buy leap to get better...
Well, I know I need help on my skulk, but I'm not going competitive, so I just have what fun I can. And NO, I will not learn to bhop.
rad do you not know redemption drops whoever you are eating?? this boned your team when you devoured a heavy, ran to archiving and he popped out, pretty much handing the marines a free phase gate and dead hive.
Yeah, that was a mistake, but c'mon, I didn't want ot die, and I thought he'd give up chase, but he didn't.
this hive also died thanks to the lack of movements. you NEED movements 2nd if they are not first, for the simple fact that skulks can movement in while a hive is under attack.
We still won, didn't we?
from the looks of it, the marines were not nearly as good teammates as the aliens were.
Actually, they responded quite well IMO, the aliens just kept going strong.
scooter letting all his important buildings go down to SKULKS!?!? hotkey the observatory. please. please. please. please scooter. you will see it blink when under attack.
I agree here. I wanted to tell him that in game, but why ruin a good thing (for aliens, that is).
the complete lack of lerks and fades during early and midgame turned an easy alien win into a close game.
[snapback]32687[/snapback]
There is truth in that, but you know, I had MUCH more fun than that single player deciding the game. I'm GLAD we didn't have that game-deciding lifeform. Hence why it was a fun game instead of an average one.
tim

SheenaYanai

November 03, 2004, 01:26:20 PM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
sounds like a fun game. and you bring up a good (if often repeated) complaint about the current build. that the fade, and how good/bad he is, is a game decider.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

November 03, 2004, 03:50:57 PM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
elect every node. farm up every hive you have. farm crawl to the hive.

at the very least, farm up/elec  base, and farm up chokepoints.

and of course, more commrage perhaps.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

November 03, 2004, 03:55:20 PM
Reply #8

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
sounds like a fun game. and you bring up a good (if often repeated) complaint about the current build. that the fade, and how good/bad he is, is a game decider.
[snapback]32695[/snapback]

I seriously disagree with that. Because of the way fades are used in the majority of games people seem to think of fades in this way, exactly the same way the Onos was first thought of when 2.0 was all shiny & new.
However NS is a very varied game strategically. There are numerous strategies & tactics that can be applied to all aspects of both teams & I'm not just talking A counters B. The problem is for people to think more & crap their underpants less when something pops up in the game. I've played & commed games where the aliens have had 2 or 3 fades still alive when we took out their hive without needing heavy armour or jetpacks. Likewise I've played games where we've taken out heavy or jetpack PG rushes on hives & then counter-attacked the marine base & won using a team of skulks and gorges with the odd lerk here & there.

As with everything in life, its not the size that matters its how you use it (or so my girlfriend is always telling me :blush: ).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:57:51 PM by Malibu Stacey »

November 03, 2004, 04:43:24 PM
Reply #9

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

Ugh, please dont encourage this strat.

I think the problem was the marines were scrambling arround trying to protect themselves instead of just unloading into the hive, dying then respawning and going at it again. Also they were very unlucky that redemption rarly failed the onos even with many HMGs firing.

November 03, 2004, 06:00:20 PM
Reply #10

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
not true!
obs has won many alien rounds where bobthecrappyfadeitor dies nearly instantly!

* waits for bob's "I WAS A MC FADE IF I HAD DCS I WOULD NEVER DIEEEE!" *

and rad4christ, i never said bhopping. i said skulking.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 06:01:11 PM by fatty »

November 03, 2004, 07:12:54 PM
Reply #11

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
well, the fade comment was about pub games. i'm sure in clan games, there are all sorts of neat varied strats. and i'm sure there are the odd pug game whwere things get tossed around differnetly. but the majority of the time, i'd say the statement about fades is correct.  i think, in general, the most effective strategy that uses the least amount of teamwork will usually predominate. it's just human nature.
-Richard Feynman

November 03, 2004, 10:04:04 PM
Reply #12

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile

If you want to give aliens an easy win always play this strat.
Elec nodes are such a pain for regen fades to kill. Turrent farms in hives are such a pain for regen fades to kill.
(note this is e-satire).

Elec'ing nodes & turrent farming hives only wins in 2 situations.
1 - aliens go Sensory Chambers first & you take both empty hives. Even if you only deny them 1 hive they've generally crippled themselves enough by taking Sensory first.
or
2 - the aliens really suck.
often you will see both cases at the same time in which case have fun & enjoy your win.

November 03, 2004, 11:24:16 PM
Reply #13

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
Once your marines have gear ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS drop yourself gear.  I personally give myself any proto-tech and a HMG, because nothing can stand up to the might of a surprise Heavy Machinegun chewing on it.  You shouldn't call for help for skulks in base once a PG is up, get out and shoot it yourself.  If you can't aim well you should really learn to, being able to jump out and nub some skulks is a key thing as comm.  Just know your limits as to what you can handle.

November 03, 2004, 11:57:13 PM
Reply #14

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
10 skulks or one lerkgorge!

Man that demo reminds me of that epic battle that lasted also 40 minutes between a few cri, some retired cal, two play testers, three admins, and everyone else was reserved slot, vet, or consti. No, not everyone was "the bomb" player, but dang, hives exploded, heavies got squished, relocations were made, yet neither team had an advantage until the last 5 minutes of the game when both teams went all out on ns_hera in the processing room.
Avs

November 04, 2004, 09:47:35 AM
Reply #15

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

If you want to give aliens an easy win always play this strat.
Elec nodes are such a pain for regen fades to kill. Turrent farms in hives are such a pain for regen fades to kill.
(note this is e-satire).

Elec'ing nodes & turrent farming hives only wins in 2 situations.
1 - aliens go Sensory Chambers first & you take both empty hives. Even if you only deny them 1 hive they've generally crippled themselves enough by taking Sensory first.
or
2 - the aliens really suck.
often you will see both cases at the same time in which case have fun & enjoy your win.
[snapback]32736[/snapback]

MS: i'm referring to a situation where, apparently, he had all the nodes, all heavied up, but little teamwork. obviously you don't use this strat all the time. man, i'm in a really really pissy mood, so i'll stop my post now.
-Richard Feynman

November 04, 2004, 10:05:24 AM
Reply #16

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
/me hugs owl with the force of 10,000 kittens

November 04, 2004, 11:32:29 AM
Reply #17

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And I bet 10,000 kittens could kick a lot of ass.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 04, 2004, 11:40:41 AM
Reply #18

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well, it was a GG nonetheless, and scooter did do very well to keep the pressure.I really believe the aliens would have still won had Malevolent not slotkicked scooter, but it would have been a much longer game.

fatty: I know I'm a poor skulk in many ways, I was just saying that some of the basic things people think a good skulk needs (i.e. bhopping) I won't do. SOrry if I came across as harsh, not my intent. Also, for some reason, on my desktop, I play VERY well as a skulk, but on my laptop, not so much, and sinc eI play on my laptop 95% of the time, I'm generally not-so-much. I've kinda placed myself as the skulk who draws the attention as bait and dies alot, but my teammates clean up behind me. IF you have any specific suggestions, throw them out.

Scooter & Nitey: I agree had you elc adn turret crawled after you lost Data again, you would have easily won, but I'm glad you didn't. Thanks for the really fun game.
tim

SheenaYanai

November 04, 2004, 12:30:55 PM
Reply #19

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
MS: i'm referring to a situation where, apparently, he had all the nodes, all heavied up, but little teamwork. obviously you don't use this strat all the time. man, i'm in a really really pissy mood, so i'll stop my post now.
[snapback]32760[/snapback]
Exactly.  I rarely farm up hives after I take them down, but sometimes that costs me games.  If you have that 200 extra res and the aliens down to one hive, you MUST build turrets in their hives, because if the assault gets rough it's easy for them to sneak out and put up the hive while you're distracted, as well as take down all of your resnodes.  This is the one time where lame truly is your friend.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]