Author Topic: Your Thoughts On B5 Maps  (Read 2190 times)

October 19, 2004, 08:36:07 AM
Read 2190 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Hi, my name is rad, you may remember me from such films as "Get to Cold Turn" and "Sneak Me A Phase". I haven't been on these message boards for a while, but I have been playing on LM and other servers.

I decided to post this for your input (and to give mine as well) about the map changes, additions, and (needed) subtractions in the latest beta. Now understand that some of the maps are still in beta, with upcoming changes, but what do you think of these maps. You can comment on any one map, or list and comment about them all. Please, use discretion and try to point out flaws, not just "OGM, this map sux0rs". K?

ns_metal

Summary: One of my favorite maps to command on, mainly because it can be an easy win, or a hard win, depending on which hive aliens start with, and how they play.
Good Points: Nice Layout. Aliens have a few RT's that are alien friendly early game, most nodes near marine start can be contested, leading to good fights within first minutes of game.
Needed Inprovements: This map can be a slaughter house for aliens if marines are competent and work as a team. Too many corridors, easy to watch vent exits, and not much cover in hives.
Best Starting Hive: Smelter
Worst Starting Hive: Cooling Systems
Strategic Points on the Map: Heating Room, Supply Way
Best Relocation: None IMO
Gameplay: Slightly Marine based. Aliens have to come on strong and keep the resistance close to MS to really stand a good chance.

ns_caged

Summary: Great map. Constantly offering a challenge for either team, with no set strategy for winning.
Good Points: Nice overall map, many key locations for ambush, weldables to add diversity.
Needed Inprovements: Open weldables cannot be fired through, Generator hive is easy to siege from Aux Gen side, and it is disconnected from the rest of the map. I'd like to see a vent from Gen hive to hallway between MS and Stability.
Best Starting Hive: Vent
Worst Starting Hive: Generator
Strategic Points on the Map: Central (double node), Shipping
Best Relocation: Outside Double, aux gen side
Gameplay: Fairly Even. If Aliens get Generator, harder to respond, but short access to double res. Double res relocates were standard for a while, but aliens havefound good counters, gameplay seems to change over time, and different commanders use varied tactics, keeping it fresh.

ns_hera

Summary: One statement: "Holo will always be called double res". I like the map changes in B5, makes the gameplay a little less linear, but a whole lot. This is a good map, but not one of my favorites. I personally feel this map is alien biased, due to every marine attack point at the hive locations have multiple alien entry points, giving marines a fierce battle to hold, and sometimes one good alien can keep a marine team at bay.
Good Points: Large map, good diversity
Needed Inprovements: Archiving needs a back door, maybe a vent to the node area north of it, processing is a great battle ground, but hard for marines to fortify.
Best Starting Hive: Data Hive
Worst Starting Hive: Archiving
Strategic Points on the Map: Processing, Holo Room
Best Relocation: Holo Room
Gameplay: Slightly alien based, due to the size of the map, and the ease of aliens to quickly move from one side ot the other. Although there are three exits from MS, they are easily watched and can be lamed effectively.

ns_lost

Summary: I missed this map so much. I played this map since pre-official status, and I love it.
Good Points: Unique level design, challenging gameplay
Needed Inprovements: I miss Los Paranois node, and the unbreakable glass at Equil hive.
Best Starting Hive: Cargo
Worst Starting Hive: Equil
Strategic Points on the Map: Eternal Requiem, Temp Control, Cargo Hive
Best Relocation: Temp Control
Gameplay: Alien biased. It takes a long time for a marine to get to temp control, and all nodes near MS except Beta Deck are easy for aliens to guard.

ns_nothing

Summary: Awesome map, great gameplay, less noisy elevators, and JP room!
Good Points: Adaptable for different strategies, i.e., red room. I wish more levels had parts of the map that could only be utilized by pursuing certain strategies. "Should we lame up red room Just in case?" "Should I go for JP or HA?"
Needed Inprovements: Not much really, this map seems pretty solid to me.
Worst Starting Hive: Power Silo
Strategic Points on the Map: Generator, Cargo Hive, Viaduct
Best Relocation: Generator Room
Gameplay: Even. This map is great for either team, but certain strategies have become the norm, and makes it repetitive.

ns_mineshaft

Summary: Good map, good play, seems to be hated by the community. This map empties servers almost as much as bast.
Good Points: Unique environment
Needed Inprovements: Alot. Layout is linear, gameplay follows. No vent system.
Best Starting Hive: Tram
Worst Starting Hive: Sewer
Strategic Points on the Map: Refinery, Uturn
Best Relocation: Refinery
Gameplay: Linear, same strategies, same outcome. Marine based.

ns_bast

Summary: Ugh. Take it out of map cycle, please.
Good Points: None.
Needed Inprovements: Everything
Best Starting Hive: Refinery
Worst Starting Hive: Engine
Strategic Points on the Map: Water treatment, Feedwater
Best Relocation: Don't play it enough to tell...
Gameplay: Hateful. This map has been butchered so much, it is no longer worth playing...

ns_origin

Summary: Good map, easy marine win though.
Good Points: outdoor area (sort of)! Great vent system, detailed.
Needed Inprovements: Easy map for marines. Biodome easy to siege, Furnace too
Best Starting Hive: Vent
Worst Starting Hive: Biodome
Strategic Points on the Map: Double node, Ore Extraction
Best Relocation: None
Gameplay: WIth a decent marine team, I can win this map 95% of the time. It needs work, I don't what will do it specifically, but it needs work.

ns_tanith

Summary: One of the more favored maps, mainly because of it's balance.
Good Points: Everything, great balance.
Needed Inprovements: Not much. This map isn't the prettiest, but it plays well.
Best Starting Hive: Fusion
Worst Starting Hive: Waste
Strategic Points on the Map: Reactor Room, Cargo, Chem
Best Relocation: Cargo, Reactor Room
Gameplay: Excellent.

ns_nancy

Summary: It's an OK map, and although I'm glad Mess Hall is not the central point of the map, it still need work
Good Points: Better layout than before with alternate route to Mother Interface, but it also complicates aliens starting with Subspace.
Needed Inprovements: The vent system. It is too complicated with no sense of direction in it.
Best Starting Hive: Port
Worst Starting Hive: ???
Strategic Points on the Map: Mothe rInterface, Port, Mess
Best Relocation:
Gameplay: Still not that wonderful, but a decently balanced map.

ns_veil

Summary: Great map, fun to play.
Good Points: Layout is pretty well planned, although rather linear
Needed Inprovements: Vents from MS need to come back. The two exits from MS tend to be the marines downfall. Once they are trapped there is nearly 0 chance of a comeback. Once one team starts to claim vitory, the game is practically over. Comebacks are rare.
Worst Starting Hive: Pipeline
Strategic Points on the Map: Double, Cargo Hive, East Junction
Best Relocation: Double, or Cargo
Gameplay: Balanced early games, but once a team gains the advantage, map easily goes one way.

ns_eclipse

Summary: Great map, I love the doors.
Good Points: Doors.
Needed Inprovements: Triad, still not right
Best Starting Hive: Comp Core
Worst Starting Hive: Eclipse
Strategic Points on the Map: CC, South Loop
Best Relocation:
Gameplay: Pretty balanced, but can be decided early game by a strong offense by either team.

Okay, I'm stopping here for now, I'm tired, I'll do the rest later...

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

October 19, 2004, 10:19:27 AM
Reply #1

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
all my opinion, give your own and not flames lets be smart here k thxu

ns_hera:

best relocation is still cargo. period.

as for gameplay, every single hive on that map is insanely easily jetpacked down, you need 8 insanely well placed ocs to even hope to hold the hive, as well as a lerk(no i dont want a discussion on jps, thats my opinion live with it)

ns_lost:

basically agree with this. it was more of a fight with the old setup, but now its kinda crappy =/ no good relocations anymore, temp control is horrible unless you can get the res to upgrade an armory instantly without losing it(lerks, gorges bilebomb)

ns_nothing:

red room is freaking stupid im sorry. 3 entrances that are easily easily camped by shotguns, no alien lifeform can stand up to them in the first place let alone a spot that hits every bullet dead on =/ theres really nothing you can do once marines get up there, even lame can be countered by a single gl, but aside that the map is great imo

ns_mineshaft:

very, very linear map indeed. untouched map that needs many things =/ vents would indeed be a great addition, its very marine camp-able atm

ns_bast:

lost its ns-ness entirely. crap now.

ns_origin:

if marines actually listen with a good comm, its a very marine-sided map. with mt especially, marines can easily hold most positions required on that map

its a horrible map for onos, as well(elevators, ladders, hallways oh my), making a good like 2 fades basically required, to control the res and advances :/

ns_tanith:

i find the gameplay rather linear, really. i can usually predict exactly whats going to happen and what marines control =/ its always the same, ie: same siege spots(the only 4, one for cargo :p) same hives taken in so and so order, same relocations if there is one(usually cargo or chem, RR relocations are crap unless aliens have no/few good players)

ns_nancy:

mess isn't as important as it was, now, at least. mother interface and aux gen are the really important parts, as well as the siege spot to port

the vent system is interesting, its nice once you learned it, but its kinda too long(takes forever to go from one side to the other, ruins reaction times for aliens if they need to use that for whatever reason)

ns_veil:

<3 this map, always liked it :p but it usually is a no comeback map, for whatever reason.

ns_eclipse:

easily determined by an early offense indeed, gets stupid after seeing it a few times.  i've never really seen an alien comeback on this map that i remember, kinda easy for marines to hold 4+ nodes for a while.

October 19, 2004, 10:39:13 AM
Reply #2

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
on nancy in strategic point you have a typo raddeh

I'm also inclined to agree with you on bast, it was a fun map but now it's terrible, we played it and got engine and got absolutely raped.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 19, 2004, 12:05:13 PM
Reply #3

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
are those pub based?

i'll do competitive

ns_mineshaft
"Best Starting Hive: Tram"
Um, No.
not if marine have a brain and blitz your node in tram from gen, thanks to those damn ramps up to the rt in tram. also, you have to drop delayed nodes in double because marines run straight there at the start, or isolate the the nodes in u turn and drill.

and don't even get me started on having drill hive. or as i call it "ladder-on-both-sides-out-and-if-the-marines-set-foot-in-u-turn-you-are-farked hive" u turn can be cc blocked to completely screw you.

also there is an exploit in generator but that's all i'll say about that.

ns_eclipse
power sub junction 3 can be shot down from primary access corridor, leaving no chance to defend it.
same with maintenence rt from the north side of keyhole.
keyhole is a marine playground.

ns_tanith    
nancy used to be ns_messhall. tanith is ns_cargobay
always boils down to
marines have west side of map: ms, double, west access, & waste rts
aliens have east side: fusion, acidic, and satcom rts

too lazy to do anymore. register and go here, or talk to bobthejanitor, he is teh win.
http://forums.caleague.com/index.php?showforum=13

this week we get ns_lost , which is quite sexy compared to the others.