Author Topic: Just A Small Survey Type-thing...  (Read 2871 times)

September 13, 2004, 09:11:10 PM
Read 2871 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Okay, I have some questions and I want answers!

After each item, in your reply, number the answer and write out what you're reading the sentence as as you read it. Pretty easy. Do not go back and re-read the sentence when you've read it through. Write what you read it as the first time through. If you read a certain part of the sentence a certain way, be sure to write it out. When reading punctuation, put it in brackets. If you don't actually read the punctuation, do not put it in the brackets.

Example:

1) Bob, my neighbor, has a new truck... even though his old one works fine.

Answer:

1) I read it as 'Bob [comma] my neighbor [comma] has a new truck dot dot dot even though his old one works fine[period]'

Now for the questions!

BE SURE YOU ARE NOT CHEATING! ONCE YOU READ IT THROUGH, OR START READING IT, DO NOT READ PREVIOUS PARTS AGAIN.

1) I have $7.43

2) I enjoy eating mangos... even though they give me indigestion.

3) The problem with that solution, is that it costs a lot of $$$.

4) The $ variable used in that class does not match the previous one. You should correct it, but there is no time now.

5) The groceries cost me a fortune, nearly $85! I'm not shopping at that place again; they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore!

BE SURE YOU ARE NOT CHEATING! ONCE YOU READ IT THROUGH, OR START READING IT, DO NOT READ PREVIOUS PARTS AGAIN.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 09:13:03 PM by Uranium - 235 »

September 13, 2004, 09:29:15 PM
Reply #1

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
[...]reading the sentence as as you read it.
[snapback]28845[/snapback]
nice...

ok,

1) I have seven dollars and forty-three cents

2) I enjoy eating mangos dot dot dot even though they give me indigestion[period]

3) The problem with that solution[comma] is that it costs a lot of dollars[period]

4) The dollar sign variable used in that class does not match the previous one[period] You should correct it[comma] but there is no time now[period]

5) The groceries cost me a fortune[comma] nearly eighty-five dollars[exclaimation point] I'm not shopping at that place again[semi-colon] they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore[exclaimation point]

I hope that's what you wanted ^_^

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

September 13, 2004, 09:38:22 PM
Reply #2

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
ok here's mine

1) I have seven dollars and 43 cents[Period]

2) I enjoy eating mangos dot dot dot even though they give me indigestion[Period]

3) The problem with that solution[comma] is that it costs to much money[period]

4) The dollar sign variable used that class it doesn't match the previous one[period]  You should correct it[comma] but there is no time now[period]

5) The groceries cost me a fortune[comma] nearly eighty-five dollars[exclamation point] I'm not shopping at that place again[semi-colon] they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore[exclamation point]
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

September 13, 2004, 11:41:26 PM
Reply #3

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
*shrug*

1) I have seven dollars and forty three cents

2) I enjoy eating mangos [dot dot dot] even though they give me indigestion [ period]

3) The problem with that solution is that it costs a lot of money [period]

4) The dollar sign variable used in that class does not match the previous one [period] you should correct it later [period]

5) The groceries cost me a fortune [comma] nearly eighty-five dollars [explanation point]  I am not shopping at that place again [dash] they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore [explanation]

Is this going somewhere?

September 13, 2004, 11:45:17 PM
Reply #4

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
1. I have seven dollars and forty-three cents.
2. I enjoy eating mangos [ pause] even though they give me indigestion.
3. The problem with that solution is that it costs a lot of [:Ding] money.
4. The dollar variable used in that class does not match the previous one [period] You should correct it[pause] but there is no time now.
5. The groceries cost me a fortune, nearly eighty five bones[excited] I am not shopping at that place again cuz they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore those bastards.

I didnt understand exactly what you we're asking for. But here are my answers and I didnt cheat!!
Avs

September 14, 2004, 12:07:27 AM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
My pragmatic reading style forced me to cheat before I had even finished reading the first question, sorry  :(
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

September 14, 2004, 10:56:59 AM
Reply #6

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
1) i have 7.43 dollars
2)i enjoy eating mangos pause even though they give me indigestion
3) the problem with that solution comma is that it costs a lot of cash
4) the string variable used in that class does not match the previous one period you should correct it comma but not now
5) the groceries cost me a fortune comma nearly 85 dollars! i'm not shopping at that place again pause they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore

maybe im weird but thats how i read stuff :o

September 14, 2004, 11:18:06 AM
Reply #7

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Be warned; my attention span is short (especially in testy things) and I'm not much for reading literally ^^;

The answers below are exactly what I read in my mind.

1) I have some money
2) I enjoy eating mangos (massive gap of space where the listener starts feeling oddly uncomfortable) but they give me indigestion
3) The problem with that solution (comma) is that it costs a lot.
4) The thingy variable blah blah... stuff.
5) My groceries cost too much and whine whine moan grump.

September 16, 2004, 06:17:51 AM
Reply #8

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I wonder if I should baleet that post. It IS sabotage in a way, after all. Now everyone will be trying to top it by writing even MORE nonserious versions... Oh well, I'll leave that decision to Uranub. :)

September 16, 2004, 01:16:53 PM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Very interesting, thanks everyone :) (Except you Gem, you win Uranub's Massive Cookie of Low-Fiber Constipated Doom)

It's interesting to see how some people handle various forms of punctuation, I might make another one with even stranger symbols and see how you handle them.

For the record, I'm the only one who sees $ and immediately reads it as "String" :)

(Yes, I read the first one as "I have string seven..."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 01:18:06 PM by Uranium - 235 »

September 16, 2004, 03:38:50 PM
Reply #10

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
heyyy... why pick on me?  I'm just being honest =(

September 17, 2004, 09:40:17 PM
Reply #11

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
I think Gem's responses are fabulous really.

Here are mine.

1) I have dollar seven forty-three.

2) I enjoy eating mangos (pause for breathing) even though they give me indigestion.

3) The problem with that solution (ARGH THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMA THERE) is that it costs a lot of dollar dollar dollar.

4) The dollar variable used in that class does not match the previous one. You should correct it(breath) but there is no time now.

5) The groceries cost me a fortune, nearly dollar eighty-five! I'm not shopping at that place again(breath, implied period) they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore!

I'm a bit weird in my reading style. It probably has something to do with my ADD. The above is how those sentences 'sounded' in my head as I read them.

September 26, 2004, 02:59:37 PM
Reply #12

StoneToad

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
Ok here's my responce, I'm also heavily dyslexic so this may effect my reading of the stuff a bit.

1) I have seven forty-three

2) I enjoy eating mangos [longish wait] even though they give me indigestion

3) The problem with that solution [gap] is that it costs a lot of money

4) The scalar variable used in that class does not match the previous one[gap] You should correct it[gap] but there is no time now

(ok so I program in perl to much, all scalar vaiables are of the form $name while arrays are @array and hashes are %hash)

5) The groceries cost me a fortune, nearly eighty-five[rising] I'm not shopping at that place again[gap] they don't even have my favorite brand of rice anymore

And I also subvocalize everything I read.  So ya, that's what I was saying to myself when I read them. (the [text] is comments on how it sounded, I didnt actualy say "rising" to myself, lol)

oh and I noticed that the money values were money, just didnt end up in what I said to myself, so duno how to show that in my markup.