Author Topic: Why Do Mappers Have More Hd Failures?  (Read 2519 times)

December 22, 2003, 01:10:19 AM
Read 2519 times

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
First it was ns_nancy, then ns_fenris, then ns_bast, and now co_daimos that have fallen to the dreaded hard drive failure that wipes the source out.  :help:

I don't know about you, but if I ever made a map, or anything that took a bunch of time, you betcha I'd burn it to a CD, place a copy offsite, etc.

Speaking of which, I'm going to burn a copy of all the servers and the site to a CD, right now!  :blink:
To the stars!

insert witty line here

December 22, 2003, 03:24:35 AM
Reply #1

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Daimos?
Hmmm.. but I thought it was a requirement now (after fenris, bast and nancy) that mappers send in their source file to flayra? Did I hear wrong or something?
Also where did you hear that daimos had been wiped out? I looked over the Vet forum, the cm forum and beta information and saw nothing about it. Did hypergrip say something about it on irc?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 03:30:02 AM by ANeM »

December 22, 2003, 05:19:58 AM
Reply #2

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
To be honest I should take my comments elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:37:17 AM by Lightning Blue »
Got himself banned.

December 22, 2003, 10:58:49 AM
Reply #3

Wither

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Ugh. I think it's cause of the compiling perhaps. It puts quite the strain on the CPU, which might cause the HD to pop. I'm not sure, but last I checked they were indeed required to send in their .rmf (map source file) to Flayra. Hrm.
Hate to live
Live to hate.

December 22, 2003, 05:59:29 PM
Reply #4

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Hmm, odd that any recent ones would go missing. After all the ns_nancy drama, i thought mappers would get a bit more paranoid. I mean, i have my maps backed up on 3 seperate computers of 4 unique hard drives.

You can never be too sure. :D

I'd not heard about co_daimos dying, such a shame, a really fun map. Hopefully Flayra does have the .rmf / .map backup, it would be a terrible balls-up if he hasn't got it, especially since it's required for map submissions.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 22, 2003, 06:12:45 PM
Reply #5

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
I seriously doubt that Flayra would even include a map in NS without first getting the source file... Although, you never know. At least Daimos was only a combat map. Its size should make it easy to rebuild even if there isn't a copy of the source lying around...  :)

Although, there is also the possibility that LB might just be trying to exploit the large cm/vet population that makes up a large number of the LM regs to try to spread mass histeria and unbased rumors throught out the NS forums...  :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 06:13:03 PM by ANeM »

December 22, 2003, 08:44:15 PM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
are there not map decompilers?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 22, 2003, 10:08:51 PM
Reply #7

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Yes, there are programs to decompile maps, but they don't work very well. When maps are compiled they lose a huge pile of information. When decompiled you can get shattered brushes (20 brushes to make up a square wall type thing), No  lighting information at all, no textures.. Overall decompiling a map can slow mappers down in some cases. The only thing a decompile is good for in rebuilding maps is making sure everything is to scale and the architexture is generally the same. Aside from that the person rebuilding pretty much has to do just that. Rebuild over the decompile.
Some maps also actually have too much information for a decompiler to handle. ns_nancy is one of those maps. In the rebuilding efforts of nancy someone actually made their own custom decompiler and decompiled nancy for the reconstruction team.
Bast also happens to be one of those maps that can't be decompiled by normal means..
and I think fenris is also one of those maps..
Hmm.. anyone else seeing a pattern here?  o_O
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 10:13:07 PM by ANeM »

December 22, 2003, 11:10:07 PM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
In the rebuilding efforts of nancy someone actually made their own custom decompiler and decompiled nancy for the reconstruction team.

first off, if that guy ever regged on these forums he would SOOO get a custom uber geekish title.

secondly,  THAT sir, is some NIFTY techy info, thnx :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman