Author Topic: The Cooking Thread..  (Read 13268 times)

February 10, 2005, 05:17:13 PM
Reply #40

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
you musnt put ketchup on the chicago style hot dog.. its against the law.. youre not even supposed to put mustard on but you can get away with it..
[snapback]40398[/snapback]

Blasphemy. I've never seen a Chicago Dog without mustard D:

February 20, 2005, 04:04:42 AM
Reply #41

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
tiiiiime foooooor daaaaaniiiish paaassstrryyyyy!!!!

please know that these are not my personal recipes, but some i found on the net, mainly Danish Deli Foods - make that only Danish Deli Foods. So there are no guaranteed results. I've made a few additions and corrections...pfft covering æbleskiver in jam and icing sugar - YOU DIP I TELLS YE! DIIIIIIIP!. anyway my additions/corrections are in italic.

Æbleskiver!
[size=8] [/size]

notice that you need a special funky pan for this recipe, it can be bought Here
the pan can be bought elsewhere - search under Aebleskive/æbleskive pan.

Ingredients:
250 g white flour
300 ml cream
200 ml milk
4 eggs
1 tsp zest of lemon
1/4 tsp salt
butter for frying

decoration:
icing sugar
Method:

Mix flour, milk and cream together to a homogeneous mix. Stir in the egg yokes one at a time and then the lemon zest. Whip the egg white stiff and fold into the mix together with the salt.

Melt the a knob of butter in each of the holes in the special pan and fill ¾ with the dough. When the dumpling is light brown on the bottom they are turned with for example a knitting needle. what is basically done is that you take the "hard" shell that has been made at the buttom at the pan and turn that into the top. Bake for 5-6 minutes, turning frequently.

Eat with icing sugar and Jam - you just dip it in whatever of those two...and eat.

Danish Pancakes(Pandekager!)
[size=8] [/size]

Note: picture is not from the original recipe!
This recipe might be known to non-US people, or some that is similar at least, however i included it so nubby US people could see them. Anyway, the main difference between Danish and US pancakes is afaik that Danish are much thinner, and can be served with almost anything - though traditionally it's sugar and Jam.

This is the simplest and by far the best pancake recipe I know - the only one where I easily turn the pancakes in mid-air. Enough for 10 thin pancakes.

Ingredients:
125 g white flour
300 ml milk
2 eggs
¼ tsp salt
30 g oil

Method:
Mix the ingredients making sure there are no lumps in the batter. Mixing in the oil makes sure the batter is self-greasing so that greasing the pan is only necessary when baking the first pancake.

Bake the pancakes evenly until golden brown on both sides. The texture will be dry and tender because no grease in used directly on the pan.

Serve with whatever, roll it up boy! You can use this as a meal if you serve it with a meat mix. You could also make it a desert if you serve them with Icecream or perhaps just the tradional way: Jam and sugar.

Pebber Cookies(Pebbernødder!)
[size=8] [/size]

This is a Danish christmas treat, there's also a weirdo game you can play with them..and i could try to find the rules/write them down if anyone cares....SO DEFINETLY NOT ANeM!
It is almost impossible to stop eating them, they are SO crunchy and will melt in your mouth

Ingredients:
125 g butter
125 g sugar
1 egg
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
½ tsp ground ginger
¾ tsp cardamom
½ tsp cinnamon
1 pinch white pepper
275 g white flour

Method:
Stir sugar and butter together and add the egg. Mix spices with the bicarbonate of soda and flour. Knead together with the sugar mix.

Flour a table and roll the dough into a finger thick sausage shape. Cut off in ½ to 2 cm length, depending on how big you want the cookies. They do rise some during the baking.

Roll the pepper cookies into ball shape in the palms of your hand, squeeze them a little and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 200°C (390°F) for 10-12 minutes.

Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.

if i remember any more i'll try to dig them out and post them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 08:10:39 AM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

February 20, 2005, 11:24:16 AM
Reply #42

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Pandekager sounds like some sort of tank, possible made of Lego.

Is pancaking not frowned upon anymore??? IS NOTHING SACRED?? Ogm dhp lerk bant.

Those cookies look like the first thing I'll try, then i just need a fancy pan and some gløgg for the others.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 20, 2005, 01:56:18 PM
Reply #43

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
i have a pan like that aeblithinkgy pan i use for poaching eggs for breakfast...

hmmmmmmm

February 20, 2005, 05:20:46 PM
Reply #44

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I thought it was a poaching pan too, but apparently there's a difference.

February 21, 2005, 06:52:59 AM
Reply #45

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
seems like a poaching pan is filled with water....
An Æbleskive pan is NOT, it's solid metal.

but i guess you could make a makeshift æbleskive pan by pouring liquid metal into the water area and letting it go solid :p.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

February 22, 2005, 07:20:05 AM
Reply #46

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I very much like that you called the æbleskive-pan funky. :D

February 22, 2005, 12:29:30 PM
Reply #47

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yeah I reckoned it was going to be solid. Wonder what else you can cook in it, or is it like the VideoNow of baking, in that you can only do one thing with it until you get bored and break it over some kid's head.

February 22, 2005, 05:56:02 PM
Reply #48

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
no my poaching "pan" is actually just a solid cover that goes over a normal pan.
so i win. water goes in another piece, a basinlike htingy.

so yeah i can make aeblithingy if i want.

March 03, 2005, 10:27:04 PM
Reply #49

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
OMG you all put my cooking skills to shame.  I depend a lot on my good friend Betty... Crocker.  It also doesn't help my skills that in my household we have to watch the fat intake due to health reasons, so all those luscious chocolate cakes are basically see don't eat. :(  Do you think it is possible to bake them with applesauce?

March 04, 2005, 04:34:41 PM
Reply #50

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
You could try a really light apple sponge.

March 05, 2005, 04:50:39 AM
Reply #51

CForrester

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
All the recipes I know are something to the tone of "put in microwave, heat for five minutes, remove plastic foil, eat".

Except that I know how to cook noodles. Shame I can't make a sauce, too.
[snapback]40179[/snapback]
Oh dear...

A simple red sauce is incredibly easy. I do eat noodles occasionally (though rarely.) and when I do, I usually make this:

Ingredients:
Ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded.
A large onion.
Garlic.
Red wine.

Directions:
Dice the onion and the garlic and sauté in a bit of olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion first and sauté it for four minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Mash the tomatoes up and add them to the saucepan along with a splash of red wine, stir it all together and warm it to your liking.

March 13, 2005, 11:38:34 PM
Reply #52

Temm

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• Personal Text
    Bam in the FACE
    • View Profile
Temjin's late night egg sandwich.

one egg(sunny side up or over easy)
two slices of toast. (preferably not toasted for maximum yolk soakibility)
garlic butter
salt
pepper
slice of ham

Beat eggs add in a couple of pinches of salt and a fistful<-[exaggeration] of pepper, spread garlic butter on toast. Cook eggs. Put ham and eggs on toast...

then eat? or do whatever the hell it is that you sick pervs do with YOUR sandwiches...god. damn. You sick bastards.

March 14, 2005, 06:36:01 AM
Reply #53

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Fancy scrambled eggs, nice.

TEMM YOU STILL HAVE TO REPORT ON MY CHOCCY CAEK!!!

May 24, 2005, 01:43:37 PM
Reply #54

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Ok time to wake up all Chefs again.  :)

Nice egg sandwich Temm.  Mine is done slightly differently.  I like to saute some sliced onions and sliced red chili peppers, then add the beaten egg to the saucepan.  Let it set as an omelette.  Add a slice of cheese to the toast, the omelette on top of the cheese, then a slice of ham, top off with the other slice of toast.  Emm then feed it to the cat :p
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 01:44:05 PM by Guenhwyvar »

May 24, 2005, 04:12:32 PM
Reply #55

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
Somebody explain to me what "sunny side up" and "over easy" is because there's only 3 kinds of eggs in this world:

Fried
Poached
Scrambled

So which is it?

May 24, 2005, 04:24:54 PM
Reply #56

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Sunny side up means a fried egg, not turned over.  Over easy means you fry it then turn it over so that the yolk is just slightly cooked.

May 24, 2005, 04:30:28 PM
Reply #57

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
actually sonic, you are WRONG.
Poached eggs are cooked in water.
Scrambled eggs...well if you dont know this then youre just retarded.
Fried eggs can go two ways: Sunny side up or deep fried.
Eggs over easy are similar to sunny side up in appearance. However, with eggs over easy, the yolk is cooked through, so the whites and the yolks are both cooked, more solid masses. Eggs sunny side up have the whites just cooked through and the yolk is still completely runny. Best served with toast and maybe some sausage or steak.
And this isnt the only few ways to cook eggs. There are several more that i wont go into detail about.
Expand your horizons son, dont limit them :)
As for one of my own favorite recipes:

4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 ounces goat cheese
4-5 stalks fresh asparagus
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons minced chives
1 teaspoon minced parsley leaves
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon essence (recipe follows) or other seasoning to taste
1 large egg
2 teaspoons water
1/4 cup clarified butter or vegetable oil
Chopped fresh parsley, garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

With a chicken breast flat on a cutting board, using a sharp knife, about 1/3 of the way down the thick side, cut a deep pocket horizontally into the center of the meat about 3/4 of the way down, being careful not to cut through to the other side. (The pocket will be about 2 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.) Repeat with the remaining breasts.

In a small bowl, mash together the goat cheese, butter, chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, lemon juice and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide into 4 equal pieces (these will be formed into plugs to fit inside the chicken breasts). Cut asparagus to match the size of the pocket in the chickn breasts and roll 2-3 pieces with each of the four cheese pieces you have cut. Form these into plugs which will fit into the pockets. Insert 1 into each breast and press the edges of chicken meat to seal. Lightly season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

In a large shallow bowl, combine the flour and the essence or other spices you have selected (a mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and onion powder does very well). In another bowl, beat the egg with the water.

One at a time, lightly dust the chicken on both sides with the flour, then dip in the egg, shaking to remove any excess. Place again in the flour and turn to completely coat, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside.

In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven. Arrange the risotto in the center of 4 plates and place the chicken to the side. Arrange the carrots along the bottom of the plates, and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.

I like to serve this with either Champ (Irish green-onion and garlic potato mash) or a truffle risotto. A nice bottle of pinot grigio or a dry-ish chardonnay goes well with the meal. Bon apetit.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 04:31:31 PM by CryForMe »
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

May 24, 2005, 05:14:35 PM
Reply #58

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
You dont put garlic in champ man, you use scallions.

May 24, 2005, 07:06:48 PM
Reply #59

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
actually, my recipe, which is a family recipe given to me by my grandmother who was born in ballincollig (right outside cork...IN ireland), contains 3 cloves of garlic. pwnt. tyvm.

edit: and last time i checked, scallions ARE green onions.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:07:56 PM by CryForMe »
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM