Author Topic: Niteowl's List Of 100 Essential Games  (Read 6072 times)

August 18, 2004, 03:38:47 PM
Reply #20

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
how about SAM? [secret agent man] old style 2d explorers FTW
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

August 18, 2004, 04:58:58 PM
Reply #21

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Black and White has got to be the most unique game I've ever even thought could exist.

B&W can be annoying though, since a lot of times when you 'zoom in' to your critter to punish/praise him, the AI will change his 'action'. For example, you CAN teach him to poop in certain places, so you praise him as he poops in those places. However a lot of times, you zoom in to do the praise/punish thing and the AI switches over to 'Your creature needs to take a crap' and when you praise him, it changes it so 'Your creature will crap more often' instead of 'Your critter will crap on that object more' like it should. It's maddening sometime. It's almost impossible to properly teach him how to sleep in certain places since it almost always thinks you're punishing/praising him for 'getting tired too fast'.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 05:02:05 PM by Uranium - 235 »

August 18, 2004, 05:20:53 PM
Reply #22

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
B & W aggravated me because it felt like a game with a split personality. I was all happy with the 'you're a god, rain down death or blessings upon the puny mortals as you see fit' part of it, and then I found out that someone had decided to add in a Tamagotchi simulator as well. All powerful hand of god is fine, walking around a giant monkey who eats your subjects and craps on your temple is not so fine. I'd like to see how the game would have played out without the whole 'creature' bit, which pretty much took it over once it was introduced.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 18, 2004, 05:57:53 PM
Reply #23

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yeah the creature teaching method is a bit odd. TBH I think the messages it sends to the interface aren't very specific. The program still records every detail.

BTW if you get the "will get tired more" messages after stroking for sleeping in its pen, instantly give the creature slappage. The message will change to "get tired less". This works for any activity, if you receive an unwanted response to your praise/scolding then act immediately to counter. My Ape can lob fireballs, cast lightning, throw rocks at the sea, etc.

(Casts lightning on rocks because I used the rock as a test subject. Lobs rocks at the sea because I used the sea as a test subject. The moral is - only train the creature with EXACTLY what you want to do. In this case, make it watch you lob rocks and fireballs at villages).
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 18, 2004, 07:37:22 PM
Reply #24

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Kudos for the Monkey Island series and grim Fandango, but why has no one said Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle. Yes, MM was released on the NES, but DOTT had it built in :p. Sam and Max, any of the old lucasarts games like those, and Loom were the best. I had so many hours of fun with Monkey Island1 and Loom alone!!
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

August 18, 2004, 07:45:24 PM
Reply #25

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
my list:
metal gear solid
metal gear solid
metal gear solid
metal gear solid
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:45:57 PM by Black Mage »

August 18, 2004, 09:57:29 PM
Reply #26

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
impacted game making
roller coaster tycoon should be added to these lists.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 09:58:33 PM by fatty »

August 18, 2004, 10:07:52 PM
Reply #27

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Update your list Nite!
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 18, 2004, 11:01:22 PM
Reply #28

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Thief 3 also really surprised me. Made so long after T2 and T1, and not even by Looking Glass, I expected a whole lot of suck. But the story was great, the gameplay was great, the only real thing that annoyed me was that sometimes it could be a little too easy (which could've been fixed by making higher difficulties have restrictions on number of times you can kill someone vs. knocking out, etc.), and graphical anomalies which I just ignored.

August 18, 2004, 11:22:05 PM
Reply #29

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
<Karan S'Jet> "No one is left... everything is gone... Kharak is burning..."

<Fleet Command> "Kharak is being consumed by a firestorm. The scaffold has been destroyed. All orbital facilities destroyed. Significant debris ring in low Kharak orbit."

<Fleet Command> "Recieving no communications from anywhere in the system...

... not even beacons..."

« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 11:30:54 PM by Uranium - 235 »

August 19, 2004, 01:03:48 AM
Reply #30

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
"Best" bit in any PC game ever. Think of that when they say that games induce people to violence.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 19, 2004, 03:31:31 AM
Reply #31

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
this is my list of PC games that have impacted game making and/or have a etheral 'classic' feel to them. discuss, make yer own lists!

elite

what is that? never heard of it...  :help:

August 19, 2004, 04:32:49 AM
Reply #32

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
There's an old game that taught us that first-person-shooters CAN have more plot than "Demons have invaded Mars, go shoot them". That, and gameplay slightly more sophisticated than "kill monster, find key, exit map". Slightly.

I wish I could remember which one...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:34:20 AM by lolfighter »

August 19, 2004, 05:22:19 AM
Reply #33

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
I tried to tell him lolfighter
god knows I tried
I pointed out that it was one of the first, if not THE first FPSs to have freelook, and it was certainly the first to have grenade jumping :p
back then it was called frogblasting I believe ^_^

August 19, 2004, 05:23:38 AM
Reply #34

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Wow, some good lists by owl, esuna, and satanic.  Just packed up my big 6 foot stack of game boxes so I'll have to break those out later and find some good ones.  Maybe even power up my 486 if I'd be arsed to do so.  Here's a few, they may not be "influencial" but they're classics nonetheless:

Oregon Trail
Battle Chess
SimCity 2000
SimFarm (seriously)
F19 Stealth Fighter (Dunno if its based on another game's engine, but it sure was the best flight sim game from the 80's I ever played)
Dungeon Siege (yes, I know its a Diablo rip-off, but it was done hella-good)
Dungeon Keeper I & II
Urban Assault (<------ !!!!!!!)

Well that wasn't very long, esuna stole all the good ones!

Off-Topic:  Holy hell satanic, Pikmin 2 was released?  I feel so out of the loop!  /me runs to the local rental store

August 19, 2004, 10:11:37 AM
Reply #35

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
this is my list of PC games that have impacted game making and/or have a etheral 'classic' feel to them. discuss, make yer own lists!

elite

what is that? never heard of it...  :help:
[snapback]26751[/snapback]

think freespace..  waaaaay back , in the 80's iirc.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 10:12:47 AM
Reply #36

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
the only real thing that annoyed me was that sometimes it could be a little too easy
[snapback]26742[/snapback]

didja know about the bug where if you set the difficulty higher, it would spring back to normal difficulty. it took them  a while to get a fix out for it.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 10:15:40 AM
Reply #37

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Update your list Nite!
[snapback]26736[/snapback]

okok!!
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 10:32:19 AM
Reply #38

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
OMG TRIPLE POST

Anyone care to fill in us uninformed about the game that LF and Vinnie are talking about?
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

August 19, 2004, 10:33:05 AM
Reply #39

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
PUT DUKE NUKEM 3D ON THERE OR I SHALL BE FORCED TO DO SOMETHING TO THE MEECEES!!!