Author Topic: Hej  (Read 6982 times)

August 08, 2004, 10:57:58 PM
Read 6982 times

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hej
any chance switching admin mod to kick the person with the lowest connection time to the server instead of highest ping please? Getting a bit tedious playing for most of the map & then being booted not to mention a basic inability to go comm since I never know how long I get to stay on the server (although I took over as comm on Sunday morning on eclipse and we won vs 3 hive onos & fades).

Lots of fun playing on the server, some ace games in the last week just the constant kicking getting a bit tedious.

GL & HF, see ya'll in game.

August 08, 2004, 11:06:41 PM
Reply #1

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Hej
Probably not.

[EDIT] Grrr.... Damn you and your unimportant details, Ness. :p [/EDIT]

I'm in favor of shortest time connected.

Final decison on the kicker is LB's though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 11:15:46 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 08, 2004, 11:08:19 PM
Reply #2

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Hej
Somehow I would see that leading to people just not joining the last slot. Who's going to join if they know they will be kicked in the next five minutes? At least with ping, folks have a chance to play some.

Edit: Sat, it's actually highest ping.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 11:10:34 PM by Ness-Earthbound »

TyrNem...blah blah blah

August 08, 2004, 11:17:49 PM
Reply #3

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hej
I've suggested the same thing before, but nothing ever came of it. I'm not sure if there's an RS kicker coded to do such a thing. I agree that it makes much more sense. The person with the least time connected is not likely to be the comm, or an HA marine building a phase in a hive, or an onos, or a gorge about to drop a hive, etc. etc. If I was going to get RS kicked, I'd rather have it done when I'd only been on for a minute or two, and not in the heated moments of a 30 minute battle.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 08, 2004, 11:35:49 PM
Reply #4

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Hej
the response from LB, iirc, is, if you can code a stable plugin for adminmod that will kick according to time, as opposed to ping, he'll consider it.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 09, 2004, 12:45:57 AM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Hej
I would code for this cause, but I can't code good enough :(
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 09, 2004, 09:04:09 AM
Reply #6

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Hej
Just have it kick Skulks first, marines second, and sort by lowest score.

That way, commanders or higher lifeforms never get kicked.

August 09, 2004, 10:27:10 AM
Reply #7

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hej
Just have it kick Skulks first, marines second, and sort by lowest score.

That way, commanders or higher lifeforms never get kicked.
[snapback]25531[/snapback]

Uhh... why not kick Marines first. Seeing how that Skulk that just got kicked might have been on it's way to drop a hive, or important structures, or even go fade to kill electrified rts. While a marine was sitting in base humping the armory ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 10:29:19 AM by Diablus »

August 09, 2004, 12:02:09 PM
Reply #8

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Hej
The system works as is, imho. Yeah it sucks to be slotkicked every 4 minutes because people who kept their slot come into the server, but at the same time its the fairest method.

You can't kick the shortest player, because noone would take the slot. You can't kick the longest player, because chances are they're the comm or the most dedicated alien.

I suppose you could try and kick people according to number of GAMES played, ie how many times they've been on the server at mapchange... means everyone gets a shot at playing. Would be annoying tho if you've played 3 crap games then get slotkicked at the end of it.

In an ideal world you would probably go firstly by slot and then by number of games played. That way rslots enjoy their privilege, and non rslots get a fair crack of the whip.

Consider also that since LM is universally acknowledged as the best server to go to (check the NS forums, its always the first suggestion for people to go to) the slot situation might get rather drastic when every new player will be rushing to see the LM hospitality.

Roll on a second LM server which people will play one. Ah, dreams.

PS Yes I'd probably be saying something different if I'd kept my slot. But I'm only human.

PPS, I found my old RR/LM things on Steam!

Free SunnyD
NowWeDonce

SHED A TEAR.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 09, 2004, 01:05:12 PM
Reply #9

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Hej
I think lowest score = kick. Worth a try cus' you won't lose important players.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

August 09, 2004, 01:41:01 PM
Reply #10

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hej
I think lowest score = kick. Worth a try cus' you won't lose important players.
[snapback]25546[/snapback]

uh..gorges? :blink:

and also think about it. Marines scores are always double or even triple the Aliens score.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 01:42:03 PM by Diablus »

August 09, 2004, 01:45:46 PM
Reply #11

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Hej
uh..gorges? :blink:
[snapback]25556[/snapback]
gorges commonly have mid-to-high scores. Every building they drop gives'em 3ish points anyways. Unless you're not spendin your res...

I'm still in favor of shortest connection time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 01:48:00 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 09, 2004, 01:52:41 PM
Reply #12

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hej
ohh he was talking about score, not Kill count. Ok. nvm

August 09, 2004, 02:27:58 PM
Reply #13

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hej
That would almost work except for some poor skulk who's dropped nothing and not managed to get any kills yet, but is just about to put up the hive.

August 09, 2004, 03:58:24 PM
Reply #14

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hej
From the admin mod documentation I'm assuming you're using reserve_type 1 as it exhibits this behaviour. Changing it to 0 or 2 would be more preferable (from my point of view I mean).

reserve_type 0
Public slots are used in preference to reserved slots. Reserved slots are freed before public slots.
reserve_type 1
One slot is always reserved (regardless of reserve_slots). If someone with reserve access joins into that slot, the highest pinger without reserve access is kicked to make room. Thus, one slot always remains free.
reserve_type 2
Reserve slots are used in preference to public slots. Public slots are freed before reserved slots. The difference between reserve_type 0 and reserve_type 2 may not be immediately apparent. Here's an example: Suppose there is a 16 player server, with 2 reserved slots. Thus, with no one on, there are 14 public slots, and 2 reserved slots

Example:
reserve_type 0:
Someone with reserved access joins. There are now 13 public slots, and 2 reserved slots (the person does not take a reserved slot, because those are used only when necessary). The server later fills up, so there are 0 public slots and 0 reserved slots. If anyone leaves, whether they have reserved access or not, it is a reserved slot that is freed, not a public one.
reserve_type 2:
Someone with reserved access joins. There are now 14 public slots, and 1 reserved slot (the person takes a reserved slot). The server later fills up, so there are 0 public slots and 0 reserved slots. If someone with reserved access leaves, it frees up a reserved slot; if someone without reserved access leaves, it frees up a public slot.

would need to set reserve_slots to 1 (or 2 see below).

Also you may want to look into fixing missing entities caused by adminmod. There are cases where you cannot get to certain places where you should normally be able to due to missing func_ladders or func_walls.

If its possible to increase the server by 1 slot it would help alleviate the so called PSHB bug or at least cause it to happen less often (I mean keep the number of players at 16 but have an 18 slot server)

August 09, 2004, 04:08:46 PM
Reply #15

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hej
frankly how it is now is just fine since that was how it was for most of us rs holders when we were not slotted.  yes i know it sucks to get to kicked for a rs holder but the holder of the slot is a person the community enjoys playing with cause they are well rounded, level headed people who do what they are told and help out the team.  if anything the shortest time connected would be a good way to go but i for one have no skill to code much less do it for admin mod.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

August 09, 2004, 04:20:39 PM
Reply #16

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hej
ok I probably wasn't clear enough. Its not got anything to do with coding, its changing a setting in the adminmod.cfg file.

August 09, 2004, 04:32:02 PM
Reply #17

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hej
The reason we have res slots though, IS to kick people. No, it's not as harsh and cruel as it sounds. The reasoning is thus: We want to have good people on the server. We're prepared to deal with some people having to get kicked off in order to make room for people that we know we like to play with. Even if its annoying for the people that are kicked, we'd still rather have someone we like playing with to be able to get in all the time, over having 'nice' reserved slots that won't kick anyone to make room for an RS player. A slot means something here, it means you were selected by the community as a good player and good all around person and we like you enough to want you around all the time. It's not like servers where only the admin's friends get slots. Or servers where you can buy your res slot. Here, it's a token that says 'we like you over every other random player out there, feel welcome back any time, we'll clear out a seat for you if we have to.'

Often an annoying player who has yet to break the rules has been kicked so that an RS player can join up. Saves the admins having to watch this person who may eventually break a rule, but who has done nothing wrong yet, just acted generally not nice. Yes, sometimes a nice player gets kicked as well, but if we like them and they like us, they'll usually come back and get noticed and eventually get slotted.

So there is a method to the madness. We do want slots to kick people off and make room for people we already know and like. That's why having limited numbers of RS slots is a bad idea. Besides, it's not uncommon lately to see the server filled to the brim with reserves. Having a scant 3 or 4 hidden reserved slots wouldn't do anything when 15 slot holders want to play all at once.

August 09, 2004, 05:37:45 PM
Reply #18

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hej
The reason we have res slots though, IS to kick people. No, it's not as harsh and cruel as it sounds. The reasoning is thus: We want to have good people on the server. We're prepared to deal with some people having to get kicked off in order to make room for people that we know we like to play with. Even if its annoying for the people that are kicked, we'd still rather have someone we like playing with to be able to get in all the time, over having 'nice' reserved slots that won't kick anyone to make room for an RS player. A slot means something here, it means you were selected by the community as a good player and good all around person and we like you enough to want you around all the time. It's not like servers where only the admin's friends get slots. Or servers where you can buy your res slot. Here, it's a token that says 'we like you over every other random player out there, feel welcome back any time, we'll clear out a seat for you if we have to.'

Often an annoying player who has yet to break the rules has been kicked so that an RS player can join up. Saves the admins having to watch this person who may eventually break a rule, but who has done nothing wrong yet, just acted generally not nice. Yes, sometimes a nice player gets kicked as well, but if we like them and they like us, they'll usually come back and get noticed and eventually get slotted.

So there is a method to the madness. We do want slots to kick people off and make room for people we already know and like. That's why having limited numbers of RS slots is a bad idea. Besides, it's not uncommon lately to see the server filled to the brim with reserves. Having a scant 3 or 4 hidden reserved slots wouldn't do anything when 15 slot holders want to play all at once.
[snapback]25579[/snapback]

well that about sums up what i said earlier and as usual it was bob who elequently put as such

stay around and be a good player and hey you may end up not being kicked from the server sooner or later to make room for a rs
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

August 09, 2004, 06:12:46 PM
Reply #19

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Hej
And if you see a message on the server saying to mail with your Steam ID in order to KEEP your reserved slot, then DO IT.

Otherwise you will end up like ME.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater