Author Topic: Request To Community Members  (Read 3495 times)

July 17, 2004, 01:46:20 AM
Read 3495 times

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
a few days ago i finally got a friend to play ns, and i put him on the lunixmonster. It was his second day of playing ns, and when this was revealed certain community members began to complain about "having the noob on our team".  This occured at the beginnings of several maps both ns_ and co_ and led to my friend suggesting that we leave and go play co_ spacefall again on a more noob friendly server. in the end the offending party and several jokes were made at his expense. and the uber pea stayed in the game.

At the time i dismissed this as a fluke of being up at 4 am and didnt  worry to much about it. however, today i was involved in a similar situation.

so i thought i should post and complain to you all and remind you that we are a fun,  noob friendly server, which is why i bring new players here and suggest they play here.

so if you made fun of a noob,  think about it and please don't do it again.

(think of the childerens: one day they could grow up to be ninjas)
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

July 17, 2004, 11:32:21 AM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm HOPING this wasn't one of our res slot members. They should very much know better than this. If something like this is happening on LM servers, please alert an admin. While we're not exactly a learning specific server, we do have a general policy of respect for everyone, and of always being friendly to new players. If nothing else, come get me and I'll go burn the offending parties's houses down.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 17, 2004, 12:45:52 PM
Reply #2

Redford

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Tauting of newbies is aginst the respect of other players rule.  As would be expected, if someone is breaking the rules, you really should alert and admin...

July 17, 2004, 01:36:57 PM
Reply #3

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
this reminds me of monse's "we were all new once" and that is very true

please be respectfull of the newbies, and mercilouss on n00bs
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 17, 2004, 02:56:26 PM
Reply #4

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
not being mean to the people that actually did this, just stating;

if you are leaving because you can't handle your teams lack of something, don't ANNOUNCE it. dont say IM LEAVING CUZ OF NOOB COMM OLOL or something like that, it can be hurtful. make up some fake excuse at least, like lunch gg or something. just anything but that ;p

July 18, 2004, 01:09:59 AM
Reply #5

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i agree with holy devil...

there's these things called Little White Lies.  Since i grew up far far away from everyone else, with noooooo american culture, i did not know about these things.   these thingsies may be lies, but they're nice lies, and they don't want to bite you.  they really like to be used in ackward social situations.  i did not know about them for a long time...

:)
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

July 18, 2004, 06:22:55 AM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yes telling little white lies is a good thing to do and all but sometimes the lie could be the truth and not against the rules unless they flat out say things that break the respect rule
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

July 19, 2004, 07:37:31 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The people that "LEAVE BECUZ OF NOOB COMM OLOLO!1" won't tell little white lies. Assuming he told a little white lie, he might avoid insulting the commander. Who the :D wants that? Nobody the :D wants that. Because every is the :D an asshole like that. A total :Dwad.

July 19, 2004, 11:23:05 AM
Reply #8

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ok, this brings up an interesting point.  What about newbies who jump in the comm chair during a full-server game?  Is it ok to eject them?  If someone else calls for it in this situation I'll definitely press the button (though I'll let them command on smaller games and try to give them tips).  When it's a full game with a lot of regs that is an instant loss.  If they get insulted, try to be nice and not be "AHHH NOOB COMM EJECT EJECT."  

As a general rule I like being a teacher to noobs and often guide people around the map as skulks.  Though everyone can get frustrated sometimes, like when you have 4 newbies on your team and the other team is all regs and Lochness. :)  Still, it never warrants any sort of flaming.  Just think, they have a hard enough time getting into/staying on the server in the first place.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

July 19, 2004, 11:43:42 AM
Reply #9

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
... what do you mean once? :/

yeah, be nice to the little nublins or they'll try to hax j00 with their 1337 aim sk1llz

either that or they'll get better and you'll have your arse handed to you

July 19, 2004, 02:08:55 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
i've always thought it was an unwritten rule that you don't jump in the cc if you are super new to the game? esp on a full server?  it's just basic etiquette, you are having your fun at the expense of 15 others (the aliens just mow you over, and well, the rines get steamrolled). you should be grunting for a while and have grasped the basics before ordering marines to their death.

i'm not sure what the official policy is though.

by the by, it's ok if you want a go on a small game, or a game no one cares aboot.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 19, 2004, 02:20:23 PM
Reply #11

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
I completely agree... flaming new players shouldn't be acceptable, it's just not nice.  Although, I'm guessing that the offenders will never read this thread.  Unless you can slap someone's wrists in game while they're in the act, they probably won't change.

Concerning a noob jumping into the comm chair - sometimes I think maybe they do it by mistake, maybe just to check things out for a sec and hopefully can be asked to step out and let someone else do it without having feelings / egos hurt but the ejection process.  If they ignore your requests and have no idea what they're doing then I say yes, definitely start an ejection!

July 19, 2004, 05:17:17 PM
Reply #12

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Someone jumping in the CC and not dropping or saying anything after ten seconds will get an eject from me. Ten seconds, in game time, is a LONG time to just sit there and do nothing. At least drop IP and armory, at least say 'checking for hive', at least do SOMETHING. By a scant ten seconds in you should already know the hive, have base building, and have people grabbing the RTs nearest base. It's amazing how quickly you can lose a marine game if you don't get started right. Like games where there is no comm for a minute or so. You might as well just give up. (and I usually do... if no one's comming by the 1:30 to 2 minute mark, I look for the nearest pit of dewm... of course then someone jumps in JUST to build an IP, which I hate. If you're in the CC, STAY IN THE BLOODY CC YOU FREAK) Even if you start building base at that point, it's far too late. You have no upgrades and no res capped and the aliens probably already have 3-4 RTs and someone's getting ready to drop DCs, the hive will be going up in 2 more minutes, and someone's already saved 4/5ths of the way to fade.

So yeah. No comm hurts. And newbie comm hurts really bad. At least with no comm you can just die from the rush and not have to worry about respawning.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 19, 2004, 07:32:19 PM
Reply #13

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Ok, this brings up an interesting point.  What about newbies who jump in the comm chair during a full-server game?  Is it ok to eject them?
I thought you had to ask before getting in the chair.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

July 19, 2004, 08:11:01 PM
Reply #14

GreenGround

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
But being a noob and comming are a bit different tho arent they, cause even if u have played NS for a long time and have never commed and then do comm it is really hard and alot of people start to blame the comm.  Now that i think of it what is the best way for  noob to learn how to comm? Cause i know if u are a noob and comm u will get the worst of being yelled at.

July 19, 2004, 08:16:13 PM
Reply #15

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Jul 19 2004, 08:32 PM]
Ok, this brings up an interesting point.  What about newbies who jump in the comm chair during a full-server game?  Is it ok to eject them?
I thought you had to ask before getting in the chair.
most people do ask but i've seen quite a few of them just jump in the chair and drop an ip, armoury, tf and turrets without asking :angry:
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

July 19, 2004, 08:24:00 PM
Reply #16

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, being a noob and not commanding used to be a written rule but if someone is fresh to the game they shouldn't know how to hop in the CC. As in, if someone rushes for the CC and goes "omg wat do I do????" then yes you should eject them mainly because what new person would purposefully run at a structure they see and hit E?

But yeah, I'm a bad commander but I know the game well. I avoid commanding except occasionally(woops I murdered the spelling) when I want to try something out(ns_caged dubble relocation!). I tend to let people know that I'm crap at commanding though and I don't get offended if people go "OMJ BAD COMM" I would probably reply "OMJ NUB RAMBO" since I tell people to RAMBO TEH RTs!

Back on the newbie issue, I think the rule was merged under the "respect" rule so we could fit other rules in thanks to the greet limit :(. SO DON BE MEAN TO TEH NEWBIES UNLESS THE NEWBIES ARE STUBBORN MMK? MMK! I mean Archi wasn't stubborn and look where he's at ^_^.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

July 19, 2004, 09:14:08 PM
Reply #17

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
As in, if someone rushes for the CC and goes "omg wat do I do????" then yes you should eject them mainly because what new person would purposefully run at a structure they see and hit E?

excellent point, hence why were are kind and nurtring to newbies, and mercilouse on n00bs
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 20, 2004, 06:34:18 AM
Reply #18

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates that, Bob. Two-minute mark and no comm yet? Game over man. There's no way you can win a game like that. Just no way. Best thing for everyone would be for the aliens to kill off the remaining rines and be done with it. But no, you'll always have one of the last two players hop into the CC and build an IP or two, and probably a turret farm. BAM, a game that could've been over in five minutes (and was virtually over in two minutes) takes an additional five to ten minutes as the aliens build the second and third hive and secure their position. Thank you Mr. I-Don't-Want-To-Comm-But-I'll-Prolong-The-Game-Anyway.

I know agree with Bob in so many ways that it's scary. Someone photoshop my head onto Bob's body, or vice versa.

July 20, 2004, 07:55:28 AM
Reply #19

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates that, Bob. Two-minute mark and no comm yet? Game over man. There's no way you can win a game like that. Just no way. Best thing for everyone would be for the aliens to kill off the remaining rines and be done with it. But no, you'll always have one of the last two players hop into the CC and build an IP or two, and probably a turret farm. BAM, a game that could've been over in five minutes (and was virtually over in two minutes) takes an additional five to ten minutes as the aliens build the second and third hive and secure their position. Thank you Mr. I-Don't-Want-To-Comm-But-I'll-Prolong-The-Game-Anyway.

I know agree with Bob in so many ways that it's scary. Someone photoshop my head onto Bob's body, or vice versa.
most of us agree with bob in more ways than we originally thought possible so we are all in your shoes lf. :blink:
[/b]