Author Topic: Respect Your Commander  (Read 2923 times)

June 28, 2004, 09:46:58 PM
Read 2923 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
I don’t want to get the reputation of being a whiner – but I have to voice a complaint about a game I was in today (about 5:10 PST).

Map: Hera
Game starts and no Marine comms.  I had gone off looking for an rt and wound up being one of the last players to die.  As I’m in the death queue one player manages to drop an IP and we start spawning in.  My time comes and STILL there is no commander.  So – I sucked it up (interpret that how you will) and jumped in.

I don’t feel like I did THAT bad given that the aliens had quite a head start over our team.  I managed to make up some ground and get upgrades, etc.  Honestly, we PROBABLY wouldn’t have won – but hey, who knows.  I was starting to get comfortable when some guy (I’m awful with names) starts complaining at me because I’m not dropping him med packs.  My response – Call for them.  If you call and don’t get it right away, call again.  I only know how to space bar to find people who send me signals.  This didn’t satisfy him and he kept ripping on me.  I offered him the chair (I really didn’t want to com anyway, right?)  He accepted it, saying he could do better than me. – He jumped in, dropped a bunch of shotties and mines (and I guess a proto lab) and jumped out.  So basically there was no commander the 2nd half of that game.

Anyways --- here’s my point.  Be nice to new commanders – especially when they are forced into the chair.  Everyone’s gotta learn somehow.  

The rest of my team was ok and respectful but that one guy overshadowed everyone.  It made me not want to command ever again (unless I know everyone on my team).

Thanks for listening --- errr… reading.

June 29, 2004, 12:07:16 AM
Reply #1

Grillkohle

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
I only know how to space bar to find people who send me signals.
Just a small sidenote: Click the little request icon, it will bring you to the place where it was requested. :)

June 29, 2004, 06:28:50 AM
Reply #2

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Agreed Duck. I sally up and listen to slotters when they ask me to do things as comm. But sometimes I get people who I have never seen before act as though they are commanding. Really pisses me off, but dont let it get you down.

June 29, 2004, 09:08:16 AM
Reply #3

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yeah, i let one smarmy fella do that to me on hera last night as well.  i got all emo, it was terrible. sorry about that rines, who had to experience no comm for 30 secs or so. :S
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 29, 2004, 09:14:33 AM
Reply #4

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I was there, and I apologize for myself or any regulars that might have caused you grief. However, as I recall, the main problem was exoity. One of 'those' vets. Mainly he was complaining because you weren't dropping meds. Translation - You weren't dropping enough meds for him, instantly, every time he got bitten or feel down a steep incline. CAL folks get too used to competitive play and expect the comm to work like resupply in combat, with meds falling magically every time they get bitten. I did warn him a couple times, but in my estimation he wasn't doing too much harm, just being a whiner. In hindsight I see that it was bothering you more than it should have been allowed to, so I apologize for not laying more smack down on him.

Edit: And exoity, by the by, is not a regular on the server by any means.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 09:55:34 AM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 29, 2004, 09:17:22 AM
Reply #5

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
*gives nite some meeces*

meh i hate being a rine and there being at least person on the team that thinks they can do a better job then the person who is comming, like what happened to grayduck.  i personally have loads of respect for anyone who will jump in the chair after going comm less for any length of time so you won't hear me yelling at you.  if we lose after that person takes the chair who cares it doesn't bother i mean this is just a game that we love to play and shouldn't be taken to the i'm better than you are so get outta the damn chair so i can do nothing immature act.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

June 29, 2004, 09:45:58 AM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'd say "don't armchair comm" if it wasn't because the comm is the one sitting in the armchair. But I think you get my point. Criticising your comm only helps if you're being, you know, helpful. If your comm seems to be at a loss for what to do, make suggestions. If he's doing his work, well or poorly, save your comments for after the game.

June 29, 2004, 09:48:57 AM
Reply #7

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I agree with you too man. I am not the best comm, but usually the other regs help me out and thats how i get better. I wish i had admin powers so i can ban the guy bitchng at the way i comm. You just have to ignore those guys. i can assure you that on LM, 95% of players respect the comm. So, as long as you dont do anything retarded you should be ok on this server.

June 29, 2004, 10:18:57 AM
Reply #8

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Thanks for the support.

The only reason I mentioned it here is because it is NOT typical to see this kind of "crap" happening on the LM.

And I would like to be a good (I'd settle for decent) commander - but I'm scared of messing up and/or being yelled at.  Games like yesterday will make me think twice before jumping in.

So - if you see me in there again... be kind.  Offer suggestions/tips.  Correct me when I mess up - even complain about what I'm doing... but do it respectfully.

June 29, 2004, 11:26:24 AM
Reply #9

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
you can borrow my commrage for free, to keep those pesky insurgent rines down and in their place! ;)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 29, 2004, 11:31:19 AM
Reply #10

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
He wasn't a vet, he was a playtester. That's the sad part.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

June 29, 2004, 03:59:15 PM
Reply #11

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh exo's a vet, believe me. He's just one of the vets that was turned into PT instead of being turned out into the street. But yeah, anyone treating a pub like the last round of CAL playoffs should be slapped about.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 30, 2004, 02:35:22 PM
Reply #12

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Last time I got into the chair in LM, I dropped a couple IP's and an armory and then someone shot at the chair till I got out  :p

Not that I can say I really wanted to com the whole game, but if I did, its not like I'm gonna sit there and watch someone shoot the chair.

It probably would have bugged me less if I was more of a newbie com, but I've commed many a victorious game, and the guy didn't even give me a chance  <_<
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 30, 2004, 03:05:08 PM
Reply #13

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Moved to the NS forum.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

July 01, 2004, 07:08:14 AM
Reply #14

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Contact an admin about that next time. Attacking the commchair is not acceptable. The only legitimate way to get rid of an unwanted comm is to vote him out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 07:09:06 AM by lolfighter »

July 07, 2004, 08:22:08 PM
Reply #15

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
Last time I got into the chair in LM, I dropped a couple IP's and an armory and then someone shot at the chair till I got out  :p

Not that I can say I really wanted to com the whole game, but if I did, its not like I'm gonna sit there and watch someone shoot the chair.

It probably would have bugged me less if I was more of a newbie com, but I've commed many a victorious game, and the guy didn't even give me a chance  <_<
i think if there's one thing that annoys me it's people who jump in the comm chair fully expecting not to comm the whole game!  ARGH!  "hey i just built an ip or 3, upgraded the armory and threw down a tf and some turrets, someone wanna comm now?"  and then i have to jump in and fix the mess!  grr!!!

anyway, yah, i've always found that if you stay calm, even quiet, people tend to listen to the comm better.  i used to comm and yell at my marines hardcore, yell at them for screwin up etc.  i found taht after a while of that, people tune you out...not good if you're a commander. *shrugs*  comming's fun if people do what you ask.

oooooh and someone who's all like "OMG EJECT TEH COMMANDORE HE'S NOOB AND KNOWS NOTHING I CAN DO BETTER"  and then ejects and no one jumps in...wow the worst thing ever.  at least the other guy was trying :-(

anyway, frustrations about comming in ns...bit of a rant i guess...kinda also wanted to say hi to ya'll just signed up to the forums 'n shtuff

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 07, 2004, 10:48:51 PM
Reply #16

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
oh i love nub comms, i always try my very best to get to my waypoint or generaly go where the comm needs me.

i dont always give sugestions cause like you said you gotta learn sometime.

but once you get in the cc dont get out, the marines (well me personaly) will learn the behavior of the said comm and will adjust our playing strats to match, and when you jump out it just throws us all back to bootcamp so to speak.

one name comes to mind in this (athena) soon as she see's a vote eject pop up she jumps out, which is quiet sad because it only takes 1 person to start the vote but the majority to actualy eject the comm, and who really cares about 1 stupid marine.

when you do bump into idiots like that i find it helpful to give them waypoints to active hives and just sit back and watch them die needlessly, sort of a poetic justice if you will.
or even better give them a welder and make them base monkey.
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.