Author Topic: Commander Strat For Ns_ayumi  (Read 1774 times)

June 16, 2004, 12:48:08 PM
Read 1774 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Summary:
Ayumi is a visually stunning map IMHO, and I think this map plays very well, but it can easily become one sided if a team does not play aggressive.

Commander Basics:
If you have read another of my strats for specific maps, all of the Commander Basics is the same. Just skip to the good stuff
If you're new to commanding, looking for new strategies, or just trying not to lose so much, here are some basics to help you out.

Learn the Interface - Learn the interface you're going to be dealing with. Start to memorize hotkeys for meds/ammo, and learn how to move around the map quickly. Learn how to assign squads (duck button plus numbers 1-5). Sometimes a timely placed medpack is the difference between losing a resource tower, or even a strategic location.
Communication - Good communication is the key to a good commander. If you're marine team knows what you want to do, and what you are doing, then they'll be more apt to trust you and follow orders. Almost all marine teams really need the commander to use voice in order to listen, but if you just type, make sure you keep the team informed of what's going on.
Early Base Defense - On some servers if you drop a turret factory in marine start in the first minute, you'll get ejected in no time. The reason is that the less resources spent on defense in the first 3-4 minutes are more resources spent on nodes and upgrades. When a marine team that knows the value of starting resources thinks a commander is going to waste it on turrets, then they'll take action. If you want to place a turret factory in base, don't immediately build turrets or electrify. Wait until you're base is being pressured. And turrets are often better than electrifying straight off, because it alerts you when they fire, and can cover more area for the same cost (three turrets cost the same as electrification). I would highly recommend mines instead of turrets. I generally drop one pack, and have them dispersed around my keys buildings.
Electrification - Electrified turret factories and resource towers are great at keeping skulks at bay, and even offering area denial. But they are a major resource investment. For the cost of building and electrifying one node, you could build three separate nodes. Tie that with the initial 10 resources for a required turret factory, and electrification can eat your resources early game. I recommend only electrifying resources in hives, in out of the way locations hard for marines to quickly respond to, and at outposts. It's cheaper and more effective to just rebuild nodes lost near base. Remember, once early fades show up in the three to four minute mark, and two hives are up, electrification won't be worth anything.
Getting out of the chair - Never jump out of the chair unless there's no other option. I'm sure that building can wait an extra few seconds to be built. The only reason you should jump out of your chair is when base is under attack and you KNOW what you're up against.
Assigning Squads - This important feature can help you organize your marines into individual squads ready to do your bidding, or be a great early warning system for your base. I recommend placing important structures in squads to be alerted when they're under attack, and so you can cycle through them to check upgrade status.
Early upgrades - The sooner you make your marines stronger in the field, the more quickly the aliens are forced to react. Most commanders have the problem of reacting to the strength of the aliens, when they should be anticipating DC's or fades, and upgrading in preparation. I don't think any marine team will argue with dropping an arms lab at the beginning. And I'd recommend getting Armor 1 before Weapon 1 because you can't always rely on the aim of your marines.  :p
What to Build First - Don't waste a lot of resources building stuff in base, even if you know your going to need it later on. If you drop 2 Infantry Portals, an Armory, an Arms Lab, and an Observatory, that's 95 resources. You don't even have the resources to drop a resource tower, much less upgrade anything. To start, I drop one IP, because you may not need two yet. I drop an armory, an arms lab, and one pack of mines, two I place around the armory, and two I place around the arms lab. I immediately research armor 1, and I have the resources left to drop 2 resource towers. Once I have at least 4 nodes, I build my second IP and focus on killing alien resource towers.
Playing Defensively - Playing defensively will guarantee a loss. You MUST pressure the alien team from the beginning. Having more than one resource tower for the aliens is NOT acceptable. You should always have at least one marine immediately pressuring the nodes around the starting hive, and in the next nearest hive. You can find the starting hive by listening in each hive location for aliens spawning or the alien resource tower. Once you know where the aliens are starting, send marines to cap the nodes furthest away while sending a few to the nearest nodes to kill gorge eggs and freshly built resource towers. Don't try to cap every node you can. Instead, pick 3 or 4 near base or easily defendable, cap them, then pressure the aliens with every marine. Alien resource towers are harder to replace than marine ones.

Siege Position Basics:
Here are a few tips I use when placing/building siege points for hives.

Phase Gate Positioning - Try to place the PG in a spot where it can easily be defended, and where marines have room to maneuver when phasing through. Never place a PG in a spot that will bottleneck your marines. Also remember to consider lerks and spore by placing it in such a place that marines can move away quickly. Placing the phase gate against a turret factory or resource tower and electrifying is a great way to protect it. Also dropping a pack of mines to place around the PG is extremely helpful.
Turret Factory Positioning - I always try to place a turret factory against the PG to electrify later, but if not make sure marine can quickly get a line of sight on all open sides. Try to place a turret factory against a wall so at least one side is unreachable to aliens. Also, on some maps, place the turret factory around a corner so you can see skulks coming, and not in a corner where lerks can easily spore from a distance.
Amount of Sieges - With limited lame in a hive, three sieges can take down a hive in 4 pings. Try to have at least three siege cannons up before you ping, unless you are sending in shotty re-inforcements.
Turret Placement - If you are building turrets or placing sieges, don't place sentry turrets in optimal siege turret spots. Place them against the walls if in a hallway so your marines can easily maneuver around them. Try to have some type of cover for the sieges, whether it's marines or turrets, of placed against an electrified turret factory. Remember, marines are cheaper guards for TF's and sieges, and if they refuse to phase, beacon them and try again.
Electrifying the Turret Factory - If you're sieging a building/active hive, always upgrade siege BEFORE electrification, and I wouldn't electrify until I had at least three sieges down. If you can place the turret factory against a resource tower, electrify the resource tower, not the turret factory. Remember, a resource tower has more health than a turret factory. Always think whether you're going to recycle the siege base once the hive is down before you decide to electrify, because you don't get any of those resources back.

NS_Ayumi:
Key Points On the Map:

Cold Turn: This is a great location for an outer base. With easy movement to pressure hive, and the ability to siege Hamasaki, this is a key location to try to hold.
Eastern Entrance: Much like its cousing Cold Turn, you can easily get to Hamasaki and AE35 hives with a short walk.

Siege Positions:
All siege positions below have been combat tested for accuracy and ease of defense. The sieges in the picture below are placed AS FAR AWAY FROM THE HIVE AS POSSIBLE while still reaching.

Pressure Control Hive:

Siege Point I:
Approaching the hive from Marine Start, this position is sometimes difficult to hold unless you weld the vents behind you to keep aliens from flanking you. You can actually set up a phase gate against the Server Outlet node, but it's a short run to the TF, which can make for a problem. MAke sure to build the TF and sieges on the platform area, gives your marines more maneuverability. Also, place at least one turret where it can shoot under the PG. Elec doesn't work properly on ledges sometimes and a skulk could bite the PG from underneath it unharmed. There are weldable vents behind the outpost and one vent that comes out right above the outpost from the hive, so watch for gorges and lerks there.

Siege Point II:
If you are moving in from Cold Turn, this is a good place to set up siege. By building the TF/PG on the corner, aliens must risk themselves more openly to attack. Placing the sieges against the other wll gives your marines a clear hallway to shoot from. There is a vent behind this location from Server outlet, so watch for flanking aliens. Also, there is a vent directly above this location, so keep a gl spamming in there, or keep your eyes on it for lerks, ambushing skulks, or bile bombing gorges.

Hamasaki Hive:

Siege Point I:
If moving from Pressure Control hive, or sneaking in from Eastern Entrance side, this is the prefered location to siege from. You can build all the buildings IN the Resouce towere room and keep it protected by electrifying the RT. Even the sieges can go inside. I recommend placing the TF in the back of the room behind the RT, where it is most protected. Place the sieges and PG in a way that the elec from the RT will reach any alien attackers.

Siege Point II:
If you are moving in from Marine Start or AE35, set up a PG against the node in Eastern Entrance and build the TF in the corner by the hallway. This is tricky because you will have to go around the corner to build the sieges, leaving your team more vulnerable. PLace the sieges against the wall nearest Eastern Entrance and pack them tightly for aliens can be pickked off by LMG fire. If the resources permit, drop a turret or two to protect the sieges, and have the marines focuse mostly on higher lifeforms and protecting TF.

AE35 Hive:

Siege Point I:
This location is an easy walk from Marine Start, and has two automatic doors behind which can alert you to something coming from behind. There is a vent directly above this location that leads to the hive, so be wary of lerks/gorges/skulks. The TF does not need to be around the corner, so place it back near the door so aliens have to be vulnerable to attack it. Place the sieges along walls and in corners to keep a clear line of sight.

Siege Point II:
Most people hardly ever siege from this location because early game point one is better, and late game you can easily GL spam the hive. But if you do siege, you can build the turret factory further back against the wall in the other hallway, and buld the sieges around the corner. That way the TF is more secure, and marines can focus instead on the hive and getting the sieges up. You could actually just run fromt he PG in Eastern Entrance if you have it instead of building another PG.

I hope this guide will help you better understand this map, and you can become a better commander and marine. Please, if you know of any added strategies regarding shotgus rushes, relocation, even well used chamber placements and skulk hiding spots, add them. Let's make this a comprehensive strategy for anyone new to commanding to this map.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 12:50:06 PM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

June 16, 2004, 12:55:27 PM
Reply #1

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
wow this is a very nice and comprehensive plan just like the others you've made good job rad
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

June 16, 2004, 03:22:22 PM
Reply #2

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Wow rad, great stuff, keep them coming, i hope you don't mind but i'd like to add some stuff.

I don't think you can stress enough the importance of cold turn/eastern entrance and the little crossroads that connects them. It doesn't matter which hive aliens have, this will be an important location and it's essential you get marines in there as possible.

If hive is either pressure or ae35 then hamasaki will go up and if hive is hamasaki there will certainly be a node in cold turn and it makes a nice staging poing to get into pressure from which i'd guess would be second hive as ae35 is easily accessible for marines.

At the start of the round get a few marines to head over there straight away, this is something i do both as a comm and when i'm marine, i'll run over there as fast as i can which is pretty damn fast (<3 wallstrafe) and you'd be amazed how many gorges i get the jump on. It doesn't matter what hive, there will be nodes in this area and marines should be getting these res nodes down as fast as possible. You hold this area at the start of the match with a few marines or one very good one and you're in such a good position.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

June 22, 2004, 02:46:21 PM
Reply #3

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm barely restraining myself from creating a new topic, but I'd probably get admin_slapped...

What do you all think are good starting strats for Ayumi as marines?  This obviously depends on what hive they have.  For example, if they start in Pressure, how viable is a relocation to Eastern Entrance?  If they start in Hamasaki, should you rush to Cold Turn to do a Owleh "Siege by 5 minutes"?  If they start in AE35, should you spend your starting res by building 5 other command chairs in spawn?  Comments please.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

June 23, 2004, 07:07:46 AM
Reply #4

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Pressure hive = move straight into cold turn and setup shop. Take our res node in cold turn or hamasaki because i guarentee there'll be at least one of those two. Have one guy cap eastern entrance and ae35 and then move on m2 b3n to get down their other res node.

Hamasaki = Move to cold turn/eastern entrance area again and setup shop in one of those locations. Again just have one guy run around capping ae35 and gorges hideout and have a smallish squad of two or three marines to go through pressure hive and up into cold turn from other side.

ae35 = push eastern entrance and sit in there. Have one guy run around and cap pressure side and another guy cap hamasaki and cold turn. Have the rest of your team deal with eastern entrance node before pushing through to the weldable for gorges hideout and finishing the round.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet