Author Topic: Help: New Video Card Needed!  (Read 2989 times)

June 15, 2004, 12:29:06 PM
Read 2989 times

Path

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Yes, its that time of year again... upgrade time!

The thing I am looking at so far is videocards, but if this goes like upgrades always do, I'll end up with far more than I bargained for.  ^_^  But, lets just do videocards for now.

First off, I was looking at the ATI Radeon 9800 card, either the 128MB memory, or the 256MB. The 9800 128MB is about $163, which looks pretty good at the moment. The 9800 256MB is about a hundred more, at $251. First question, do I shell out the extra and get the 256, or just go with the 128?

Also, my computer is not as uber as it could be, and while those cards are both AGP 8x, my motherboard only has AGP 4x. As far as I can tell, this makes no real difference, other than the fact that the card performs slower. All I have turned up suggests that they will still run, only at a lower speed. With that in mind, should I abandon the 9800s right off, and either look for a different and cheaper AGP 4x card, go digging for a PCI card, or even something else entirely?

I'm not particularly in any hurry, because while I can run Painkiller on my 64MB GF2 (that I bought years ago for Morrowind), it's not a happy arrangement. I feel it is time to upgrade, and at least before HL2 gets here. (No discussion on the HL2 point!  :D )
</Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

June 15, 2004, 01:17:05 PM
Reply #1

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, if you have the money, I suggest buying a new motherboard and the 128mb r9800 pro, unless you have cash leftover to buy the 256mb board :p.

You can get a nice shiny board for under $100 that will support it and much more! I got one recently off of www.newegg.com for just under $70, it was a refurbished  ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. Runs much better than my K7S5A, and now I can upgrade my cpu and ram to up to 3ghz each when I get some cash!

I reveal penis I know psychology.

June 15, 2004, 02:04:17 PM
Reply #2

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
If you feel like saving up, the x800 pro is said to be nearly twice as fast as the 9800.  It'll last you a lot longer

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

June 15, 2004, 06:54:38 PM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
256 MB is a scam, don't buy it.
AGP 8x is equally a scam, just a cheaper scam.

To expand what I mean:

1) Only like, three games in existance utilize 256 mb RAM, and even games coming out soon (namely Half-Life 2) only use up to 128 MB. 256 MB is simply to make your e-pen0r look bigger to yourself: Everyone else is laughing at you. And by the time 256 MB RAM is mandatory, you'll need a bigger beefier card by then anyway.

2) AGP 8X is like using a broadband connection to download files from someone hosting them on a 56k: You're only going to go as fast as them.

To make it more clear, imagine AGP are lanes on a road going in each direction. AGP 4x is 8 lanes, 4 in each direction. AGP 8X is 16 lanes, 8 in each direction.

Now, on that road are cargo trucks. They're hauling data from your card, down your AGP freeway, and to your CPU, where they head back.

Unfortunately, what you're never told, is that both the card, and the software running, can only put out a certain number of cargo trucks.

At AGP 1x, your trucks are going to get slowed down. They all can only drive in one lane, and get backed up easilly.

At AGP 2x (two lanes), your trucks can pass each other and generally get there quicker. However, backups can still happen, especially if you have lots of trucks on it.

AGP 4x (four lanes) is ideal. If a backup happens you have many more lanes to get around it. Each direction has enough room to manuever around and get there quicker, through fast lanes, slow lanes, etc. 4 lanes will work just fine, and would require a large backup to cause trouble.

AGP 6x (six lanes) is great. It's your basic freeway. Lots of space to avoid congestions, 6 lanes in each direction is enough space for even the most trucks you can send out.

AGP 8x (eight lane L.A. Superfreeway) is stupid. Why? Because putting in a 16 lane superfreeway is pointless if you don't have traffic to fill it: and you don't. Your card isn't going to detect 8X AGP and suddenly decide to work at double the power to fill all that space with cargo trucks. It's still going to send out the same number. You have lots of room, but no where near as many trucks to fill all the lanes. All your trucks have plenty of space, they won't get backed up (but they don't get backed up on 6x either, so it's just redundancy). Until you actually have the capability to fill every lane of AGP 8X with trucks, it's an utter waste.

The worst part is, both AGP 8X support AND 256 RAM are utterly POINTLESS, but they cost a flipping FORTUNE. However, it makes sense: Idiots buy them for bigger numbers without understanding a damn thing - These are the same people who buy Alienware computers who use Pentiums because they have 'bigger jiggahurts!'
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 07:08:34 PM by Uranium - 235 »

June 15, 2004, 08:40:34 PM
Reply #4

Path

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Wow, thanks Uranium. That more or less confirmed my decision, as I have had my eyes on the 128MB. I appreciate your advice, and warning  ^_^.

And Jefe, I really don't want to have to save up to buy a video card, because as Uranium said, not too much ever works up to use it. I am content to have a moderate card that  can function in all the games available. Worked for me last time, after all  :D.
</Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

June 15, 2004, 11:44:52 PM
Reply #5

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
damn, nicely put ura. i'm tempted to change your title, not just to something cooler, but also since the one you have tends to promote.. not so nice.. posting.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 16, 2004, 12:53:08 AM
Reply #6

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Run it by me and I'll tell you what I think :D

June 16, 2004, 07:44:39 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Since when is it common to ask people for permission to give them a title? I thought the sole purpose of those was to humiliate the victim? o_O

June 16, 2004, 09:02:20 AM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
"Warm Fuzzy Lovemuffin"!!!! Change it to "Warm Fuzzy Lovemuffin"!!!!!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 16, 2004, 10:46:29 AM
Reply #9

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Since when is it common to ask people for permission to give them a title? I thought the sole purpose of those was to humiliate the victim? o_O
humiliate the victim!? man, we definitely have different aims when giving out titles :)

i give them out to promote community, and a feeling of being a part of something, as well as uniquness. but you know, whatever floats yer boat lf :p ;)

andyer  right, i think i'll just change it to be EBIL! EBIIIL!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 16, 2004, 11:14:05 AM
Reply #10

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Someone needs to change my title by the way......

FIX THIS!

June 17, 2004, 08:15:27 AM
Reply #11

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If you insist...

June 17, 2004, 10:48:46 AM
Reply #12

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile

FIX THIS!

June 17, 2004, 11:35:31 AM
Reply #13

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I think I liked my old title better :D

June 18, 2004, 08:41:12 AM
Reply #14

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I didn't touch it. :ph34r: