Author Topic: Detailed map strategies  (Read 4293 times)

December 20, 2004, 07:52:11 PM
Read 4293 times

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I have an idea: create extremely detailed strategies for each official ns_ map available, or maybe just the most played ones. What do I mean by extremely detailed?
- List of rooms, hives, RTs
- Advantages and disadvantages of each room/hive/RT
- Relocation spots
- Usual order of RT capping/expansion/lockdowns
- Spots to place chambers
- Spots to gestate
- Sieging areas
- Ambush areas
- JP or HA friendliness (what's more effective)
- Onos/fade/lerk friendliness (what's more effective)
- Best/worst hive to start with
- Usual hive lockdowns
- General chokepoints
- More?
If we get enough people to do this, we could essentially create an instrumental guide for newbies, pubbers, and clanners. We would have a thread for each map, with discussions from each side, and the main person for each thread (or an admin) would be responsible for incorporating these changes to the first post (which would contain the whole strategy). What do you guys think about this?
Here's a map list. If you guys want to do this, put your name on for the map(s) you would best be responsible for (usually, the map you know the best).

Agora -
Ayumi -
Bast -
Caged -
Eclipse -
Hera - Isamil
Lost -
Metal -
Mineshaft -
Nancy -
Nothing - 2_of_8
Origin - 2_of_8
Tanith - [mmi]rad4Christ
Veil - Legionnaired

Contribute!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 07:23:02 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

December 20, 2004, 08:41:17 PM
Reply #1

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Veil. I'm a KFS whore.

I did things like this for both Veil and NS_Nothing back in the day. Basically showing chokepoints and the best ways to exploit them, for both sides.

December 20, 2004, 09:11:58 PM
Reply #2

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Hey legionnaired, I think I've seen your choke-points thing on the NS forums a while ago. That was useful :) But I think this time, we're going to do a lot more :D
[edit]
When I wake up in about 10 hours, I better see lots and lots of volunteers signed up :D I will update the list then. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 09:18:12 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

December 20, 2004, 09:16:07 PM
Reply #3

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

December 21, 2004, 09:05:12 AM
Reply #4

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I did a few of these on NS forums, but it's out of date. If I feel up to it, I'll get back on some of these, but with such maps as altair, the next beta will have a different layout. I'd recommend not putting too much time until 3.0 goes final.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

December 21, 2004, 02:00:39 PM
Reply #5

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Which maps can you do then, if you "feel up to it"?
I'd say we should keep the newest maps alone for now, since they are the ones that are most prone to changes by the devs.

December 22, 2004, 01:04:52 PM
Reply #6

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Eclipse, Ayumi, Veil, Nothing, and Tanith are the safest. They're the ones with the most stable, balanced gameplay.

December 22, 2004, 04:11:53 PM
Reply #7

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
No that award easily goes to Drill on mineshift.  Drill, also known as "Marines go to Uturn FTW".

December 22, 2004, 07:05:46 PM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
No one else wants to contribute? Come on, this is for your own good (you get better), and for everyone else (everyone else gets better) :)
It shouldn't be hard. You wouldn't be doing *all* the work :D

December 22, 2004, 10:40:35 PM
Reply #9

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Eclipse, Ayumi, Veil, Nothing, and Tanith are the safest. They're the ones with the most stable, balanced gameplay.
[snapback]37011[/snapback]

Except possibly how Hamasaki wins the most easily sieged hive in NS award  :o
[snapback]37014[/snapback]

Cold Turn is on the direct opposite side of the map from MS, and is smack between two hives. It takes a hell of a lot of res to hold, and only one screw up to FUBAR the marine's siege base for good.

Launching an attack from Eastern is even more suicidal, with covered vents that drop into the middle of that room. You can't set up a crossfire in there. Same with the vent north of East.

All that needs to be done to fix cold turn is remove the glass from the RT box. No more glass, no more safe PG spot.

December 23, 2004, 10:24:06 AM
Reply #10

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Ham is easy to siege if the only other hive is pressure. The big wide-ass hallway and long ramp are easy to defend.

December 23, 2004, 04:20:20 PM
Reply #11

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
If you’re going to put up a hive in Hama you should just automatically put an oc or two in Cold Turn. Not for the purpose of protecting it, but the second you see those oc's under attack you get your team’s collective ass over there and prevent the siege.

December 23, 2004, 04:45:48 PM
Reply #12

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ayumi is an extremely marine biased map due to how hard it is to fade on it. Lerks are fairly useless too given the the long corridors so you rarely see alien wins in competitive play. It is however one of the few maps where i'd encourage use of OCS. We (my clan) developed a strategy which involved an OC gorge for it and we just OC'ed up the key junction outside of cold turn and cold turn itself and it worked a charm.

EDIT 1: If it wasn't for my hilarious attempt at fading on that map i'd upload the demo as it could be useful. However i suck and die almost instantly and i'd rather not show it publically :)

EDIT 2: As an ex-commando who still retains his tactical and strategical knowledge of the maps i'd be happy to help in anyway as long as i dont have to write something myself. I'm happy to read and give my critical and competitive eye to anything and will gladly help any upcomming commander or NS player develop any aspect of NS. If you're interested just PM me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 04:52:27 PM by Mr.Ben »

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

December 24, 2004, 09:48:15 PM
Reply #13

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
If you guys need someone for uh.... well.. "different" type of strategies, (Elec tf, relocates) I've done a lot  successfully, So I'd like to think I might have a couple of good ideas. :-D. As for what maps I could do.. well... Really just ask me any and I could get back to you on a crazy (but working... maybe) strat that everyone can enjoy

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 01, 2005, 09:48:35 AM
Reply #14

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I've done Tanith, expect ot see it shortly, one ofr gorge, and one for marine.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 02, 2005, 08:46:30 PM
Reply #15

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Jan 1 2005, 11:48 AM]I've done Tanith, expect ot see it shortly, one ofr gorge, and one for marine.
[snapback]37654[/snapback]
Nice.
I am now done ns_nothing for Marines. I will do one for aliens soon.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:19:42 AM by 2_of_8 »

January 03, 2005, 01:34:10 AM
Reply #16

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
rad4Christ,Jan 1 2005, 11:48 AM]I've done Tanith, expect ot see it shortly, one ofr gorge, and one for marine.
[snapback]37654[/snapback]
Nice.
I am almost done mine on ns_nothing, I just have to label the screenies. I did it for Marines.
What program did you use to label this? I've been trying to get photoshop for a while, but it is very piracy-unfriendly :(. And the Gimp doesn't want to work on my computer. Paint - won't work for what I need to do (raising brightness being one of them :)).
[snapback]37786[/snapback]
Doomeh linked to paint.net on the espionage forums a while ago... you can check that out...  <link here if I find it>
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 03, 2005, 02:35:31 AM
Reply #17

JohnTheGarbageman

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ayumi is an extremely marine biased map due to how its a long :Ding set of hallways and stuckspots. My Lerking sucks and I can't do crap without a high ceiling. It is however one of the few maps where i'd encourage use of OCS. We (my clan) developed a "strategy" which involved an OC gorge for it and we just OC'ed up the key junction outside of cold turn and cold turn itself and it worked against nubs that don't TF-block in scrims.

Edit : Hey everyone, look forward to OC gorging being standard fare in B6. Woopiieeee.

Fixed it for you :)