Author Topic: Argh Voicespam!  (Read 17368 times)

July 27, 2004, 05:31:26 AM
Read 17368 times

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We all know the situation: You're crouching in a corner somewhere, getting your ninja on. You hear the faint *pitterpatter* of an approaching Skulk, and strain your ears to pinpoint the direction. And then it happens:

"OMG CORNMANDER I NEED SOME TURRENTS AND A SHIRTGUN!!"

As your hearing gradually recovers from the verbal assault, you remember with a start that there is a Skulk nearby. You strain your hearing once more, but the sound is gone. But then, in a horrible moment of realization, you turn around. The last thing you see before the screen goes black is the hideous gaping jaws of the Skulk as it bears down on you. Killed by a mic-screaming nub again...

This is a common problem for people like me, who play with a good set of earphones and use sound to their advantage. But what can you do? Communication is necessary in teamplay games like NS. Spam is not allowed on our server, and you're welcome to alert an admin if anybody is spamming the mic with non-game-related chatter. But sometimes, even the necessary communication will come at the most inopportune moment, blanking out your hearing and making you deaf to your surroundings. This is death if there's a skulk approaching from behind. And you can't very well scream at people to shut up when they're trying to coordinate, can you?

lolfighter to the rescue! I present a simple set of aliases that will get you out of the pinch:

alias voicet "voiceoff"
alias voiceoff "voice_scale 0.05; stopsound; developer 1; echo Voice Off; developer 0; alias voicet voiceon"
alias voiceon "voice_scale 0.30; stopsound; developer 1; echo Voice On; developer 0; alias voicet voiceoff"

Simply bind a key to voicet and you're set. Hitting this key will tone down the volume of all voicechat drastically, hitting it again will return the volume to normal levels. If you want all voice completely muted, adjust the voice_scale in the alias voiceoff to "0". And remember to set the voice_scale in the alias voiceon to what your normal voice_scale is. Although I haven't tried it myself, I imagine you could also replace the voice_scale commands with the command to turn voicecomm on and off completely.

Please note that I haven't been able to verify whether these work in conjunction with mp_blockscripts.
(A little edit: It works fine with blockscripts.)

It may not be perfect, but it beats being deaf. And if anybody ever screams at you to stfu so they can hear what's going on halfway across the map with their superhearing, simply direct them to this thread.

Disclaimer: I, lolfighter, claim no merit for the aliases presented in this thread. To my regret, I do not remember whence I got them. Should you know the original creator of these aliases, I shall happily give full credit where it is due.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 09:01:55 AM by lolfighter »

July 27, 2004, 09:15:57 AM
Reply #1

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile

July 27, 2004, 09:37:10 AM
Reply #2

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I know the situation too well, and I've been brought down many times because I lose track of where a skulk is just because a couple clanmates suddenly decide they want to chat about how much they "kicked some f***ing ass" in a game two months ago, or the guy that starts throwing a fit because a teammate accidentally shot him while in the fray against other enemies, or anything of the sort. I'll be sure to test this out in my next game.

July 27, 2004, 10:02:27 AM
Reply #3

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
to save time in the matter even, just mute me, should cut it down no problem. :-D

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 27, 2004, 01:21:09 PM
Reply #4

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
oooh yay , finally a way to quiet down the dumb people that wont shut up, i dont like to mute sometimes because communication is still useful , even when the one persons a real bastage, thanks lf should come in real handy :)
-_^

July 27, 2004, 02:39:20 PM
Reply #5

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Wow, this should be real handy when listening for the hive or when Archangel's on my team :)
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

July 27, 2004, 03:33:40 PM
Reply #6

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Yay

Is voice_scale the volume level for voicechat? All of the voicechatting that I hear is fairly quiet and I have to turn up my volume if I want to hear it. This brings loud game sounds (gunshots, jumping, etc.) which are too loud and so I keep the volume lowered.

P.S. This is why I don't respond well to voicecomming :p  Although every once in a while, I'll catch my name being said over voicecomm and I'll ask what was said.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 27, 2004, 04:17:39 PM
Reply #7

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
to save time in the matter even, just mute me, should cut it down no problem. :-D
noes :(
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

July 27, 2004, 07:47:11 PM
Reply #8

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
i second this!  i would never!  EVER!  mute mr. bill, he's my hero.  i wanna comm like him when i grow up :-P

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 27, 2004, 08:58:05 PM
Reply #9

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
gj! :o
^^

when I get to my steamed comp I will add!
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 27, 2004, 09:45:03 PM
Reply #10

Grillkohle

• Gorge

• View Profile
OMG !
ALIASES ! SCRIPTS WTF ?!?
SCRIPTNOOB !

Oh wait, I'm not one of these people ...

July 27, 2004, 10:10:40 PM
Reply #11

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i find it easier to just mute temjin and mrbill right at the start.  :D

j/k

July 28, 2004, 11:18:44 AM
Reply #12

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
i second this!  i would never!  EVER!  mute mr. bill, he's my hero.  i wanna comm like him when i grow up :-P
awww thank mary, your on to a good start! :-D

fatty hs the right idea too though ;)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 28, 2004, 02:11:42 PM
Reply #13

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I know the situation too well, and I've been brought down many times because I lose track of where a skulk is just because a couple clanmates suddenly decide they want to chat about how much they "kicked some f***ing ass" in a game two months ago, or the guy that starts throwing a fit because a teammate accidentally shot him while in the fray against other enemies, or anything of the sort. I'll be sure to test this out in my next game.
OMG i know!, i hate when theres a Onos in the room and i cant find him because of all the voicespam!!!!

July 28, 2004, 03:37:11 PM
Reply #14

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
so want about other noise spam...

I was playing yesterday and someone kept continuously "saying"  "Standing by", "I'm in Position", "I've got your six", OVER AND OVER AND OVER - the phrase would have even been over and he'd cut it off with a new one.  it was soooooo freaking annoying.

Anything to help that??

July 28, 2004, 04:35:06 PM
Reply #15

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
so want about other noise spam...

I was playing yesterday and someone kept continuously "saying"  "Standing by", "I'm in Position", "I've got your six", OVER AND OVER AND OVER - the phrase would have even been over and he'd cut it off with a new one.  it was soooooo freaking annoying.

Anything to help that??
admin_kick Seth is about the only solution I know to that one...  :p

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 28, 2004, 10:17:31 PM
Reply #16

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Having witnessed Mr. Bill's voicespam firsthand, the only thing I can reccomend is... JOIN IN!

Seriously though, beyond those few times where it seems to be fun, I know its really annoying.  A few of us (me, Bill, Cheez) went steady on for a map or so today.  But of course, we're good enough to shut up if you say so.

Now of course some people don't know when to shut up, and that's what mute is for...
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

July 28, 2004, 11:50:06 PM
Reply #17

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
i HATE ppl who spam requests, because i actually click on those dang things. and i HATE CLICKING ON 8 QUEUED UP FREAKING REQUESTS!! it slows me down, and might kill your teammate across the map who is number 7 in asking for a medpack  :angry:
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 29, 2004, 03:17:03 AM
Reply #18

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
addition to lolfighters scripts

Code: [Select]
alias voicet "voiceoff"
alias voiceoff "voice_scale 0.05; stopsound; developer 1; echo Voice Off; developer 0; hud_saytext 0; alias voicet voiceon"
alias voiceon "voice_scale 0.30; stopsound; developer 1; echo Voice On; developer 0; hud_saytext 1; alias voicet voiceoff""

that should turn off chat for chatspammers as well as voice

aslo hud_saytext_time changes the amount of time chat text is displayed

note: all of this is from memory, so don't shout at me if it doesn't work

July 29, 2004, 06:32:54 AM
Reply #19

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
off topic/

The mr bill voice spam is great quantanaut said he recorded it one game on mineshaft that resulted in 5 relocates :D All the time bill shouting for us to save the base. You couldn`t play properly for laughing too much. Then  he drops 5 ccs all over the map. I end up building one and an ip in sewer hive thinking we have got away with it, turn around to build the 2nd and stare right at a lerk just sat there watching me!!! Think it was Ness but he decided to let me finish before killing me  :lol:  

Off Topic end/

I must admit im definitely going to give this a try