Author Topic: Possible Cs Server  (Read 6734 times)

April 07, 2004, 12:49:09 PM
Read 6734 times

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
This new poll that lightning blue has put up got me thinking. In my opinion a lunixmonster CS server would be really cool.

Anyone else got any feedback?

P.S. Archie I already know your opinion on this subject so please refrain from trashing me for my love of CS

April 07, 2004, 01:16:04 PM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Speak not of such evil things!

Actually, I think LB put up a poll and locked the thread for a reason. Namely, he probably doesn't want a lot of OMG CS R TEH ROXOR! NUU CS R SUXOR UR NUB!! and so forth. So it is in that spirit that I won't give an opinion on it at all.  ;)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

April 07, 2004, 02:08:12 PM
Reply #2

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Speak not of such evil things!

Actually, I think LB put up a poll and locked the thread for a reason. Namely, he probably doesn't want a lot of OMG CS R TEH ROXOR! NUU CS R SUXOR UR NUB!! and so forth. So it is in that spirit that I won't give an opinion on it at all.  ;)
Agreed!

I think that LB was originally trying to prevent any sort of "discussion" on the half-life goodness of CS and NS (and any flaming that may result).  To encourage this, I too will refrain from posting my opinion.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

April 07, 2004, 02:47:52 PM
Reply #3

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
I often hear about how much CS blows goats, fro mother game-playing friends.  When they say stuff like that, I often speculate out loud how good a CS server populated by LM regs would be...

...since 99% of the suckiness in CS is the PLAYERS.
God, I'm old.

April 07, 2004, 03:21:15 PM
Reply #4

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i agree with plauge, only reason i never play cs is cuz most cs servers are packed with idiots  ;)
-_^

April 07, 2004, 03:28:55 PM
Reply #5

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
After playing both, TS has many more smacktards than CS.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

April 07, 2004, 04:22:18 PM
Reply #6

zerwalter

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I have been playing CS a bit here and there and I get frustrated rather quickly because I am not very good at it. However, I have been playing more recently and I am enjoying myeslf. Low nd behold, it improves my aim! I would like to play on one :) It really is not too bad of a game when you are playing with reasonably intelligent, non-hackers.

April 07, 2004, 04:44:14 PM
Reply #7

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
A small CS server would be okay, but at the risk of alienating some people I'd prefer it to be a no-AWP one. The whole design of the AWP is based around when the best people too used to have to lead their targets (namely the old netcode, which was in use up to Beta 6 [6.5 was the first one under the new]), and it was hence impossible to hit 100% of your shots. In its current build it is absolutely unsuited for public play, where the same map is played over up to half an hour and it is very easy to get the cash for and hard to get the coordination necessary not to get slaughtered by it.

But thats just my 2 cents on Counter-Strike. I used to play a good bit of it back when it wasn't anything remotely resembling a retail product, and enjoyed it for the fast pace and merciless damage system. While its true that a big reason people dislike it is the crowd, that isn't the only reason - it does lack a bit of long-term appeal if you have more than the attention span of a fruitfly, it can easily get super-frustrating and whatnot.

Also, and another addendum to server-specific balance, for the last few years CS has had a monetary system geared more towards clanplay, with top-end weapons going to the winning team of the first round. While it might make sense in competitive matches, it again doesn't in public play - nobody likes to get walked over for the whole 30 minutes of a map in a pub. I'm sure theres some serverside mods out there that would allow for lowering the win/loss cash rewards (hostage, gunfire hit and kills are okay).

Before anyone smartasses, I know the old system was mostly in use when you could still be a gunrunner, but its still more fun without everyone at 16000. :p
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 04:44:41 PM by SaltzBad »

April 07, 2004, 05:06:49 PM
Reply #8

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
A small CS server would be okay, but at the risk of alienating some people I'd prefer it to be a no-AWP one. The whole design of the AWP is based around when the best people too used to have to lead their targets (namely the old netcode, which was in use up to Beta 6 [6.5 was the first one under the new]), and it was hence impossible to hit 100% of your shots. In its current build it is absolutely unsuited for public play, where the same map is played over up to half an hour and it is very easy to get the cash for and hard to get the coordination necessary not to get slaughtered by it.

Well said saltz. Being a long time player of CS the awp is the only gun that still irritates me. Every time i get AWPed,  I feel like the round has been stolen from me unfairly.

To continue on i agree with most people when they say that CS is bad because of the crowd. Lately I've had an extremely hard time finding a server without the presence of jackasses or HAXORS. This is probably why plaing with the LM crowd seemed like a great idea to me.

P.S. The shield pisses me off as much as the awp now too.

April 07, 2004, 05:19:06 PM
Reply #9

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
I never had much of a problem with the shield, and it kind of helps with some of the mapbalance. I'd love the pistol/shield switching to be a bit clearer and slower, but its not an aweful rapeage tool either way.

Its fairly easy to counter by just holding your fire and finding some cover - if the shieldmonkey gets closer, you can circlestrafe and kill him. If he trys to pistol you, you can kill him and if he stays out too long a buddy of yours will walk around and kill him. People just pay way too much attention to it, and thats silly - you're not going to shoot the guy with the USP for 2 minutes when theres 3 CTs around with M4s. Durr.

But then, I've only played maybe ~30 combined hours of 1.6.

April 07, 2004, 05:54:32 PM
Reply #10

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The thing is I have had really bad experience with shield wielders. Sometimes i would turn a corner and there would be 3 of them with shields. Try figuring out which one to shoot first.

This wouldnt bother me if it only happened once; BUT IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME

I know that LM players wouldnt abuse these wpns and thats why I think an LM CS server would be cool.

Also I know that a lot of LM players hate CS with a firey passion, but no one would force them to play on it.

April 08, 2004, 02:47:36 AM
Reply #11

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
The thing I see about the sheild is that you use it to cover the rest of your team. Not just yourself. Perhaps I'm wrong here but surely you'd have a row of guys with shields crouched in front with a load of guys with M4's Behind?

FIX THIS!

April 08, 2004, 03:43:33 AM
Reply #12

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
Shrug, usually you just stick the shield up and walk around as a distraction. And when some poor sod walks up to you and emptys his AK, you drop it and pistol him.

April 08, 2004, 04:18:29 AM
Reply #13

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I would SO "abuse" the shield. Seems to me like abuse = use, so, yeah, I'd use it. And if I had it, I'd use it in any way that helps me win, including covering my teammates and diverting attention from the guy in the back with the awp.

April 08, 2004, 07:04:12 AM
Reply #14

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
I would SO "abuse" the shield. Seems to me like abuse = use, so, yeah, I'd use it. And if I had it, I'd use it in any way that helps me win, including covering my teammates and diverting attention from the guy in the back with the awp.
and i'd abuse my guns by attempting to fire ... unless cal said that's an exploit too

shield is fun, as you can hold off entire squads for a surprisingly long time

April 08, 2004, 08:25:15 AM
Reply #15

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
shield is fun, as you can hold off entire squads for a surprisingly long time
but the next round you try to pull the same thing, you'll have an entire squad's worth of hand grenades to deal with :p
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

April 08, 2004, 09:40:17 AM
Reply #16

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
my brief and bland opinion: I don't have enough time for more than one mod, never been much of a CS fan anyway so I'd just stay on the NS server :>

April 08, 2004, 09:47:28 AM
Reply #17

ShootBang

• Skulk

• View Profile
i'ld play, though i am HORIBLE at cs... i guess i could get better :-P

Arnold, Win? But he's still.... Only human

April 08, 2004, 11:02:34 AM
Reply #18

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I used to play CS. Started in the betas and played to about the beginning of 1.4.  IMO, that's where the game got screwed over (game physics and the new people that started to play CS).  I quit CS there and started DoD, then Firearms, then I discovered NS <3 .  Every once and a while, I will pop into a CS server and play a bit. I'm actually quite good at the game (10-1ish), which is kind of sad considering I don't normally play it (I guess NS helps with aiming and reactions and etc.) but I really don't enjoy playing it even though I'm good.  I find the game and people silly and boring. There's hardly any sense of strategy or teamwork in normal pub servers. v_v

As for the shield, I love to have fun with it ^_^ .  I'll just buy a shield and be a human(and metal) barrier between the enemy and my teammates. I also pop around corners and see if it's clear. I once had a guy empty all his ammo at me and then try to knife me :lol:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 11:04:23 AM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

April 08, 2004, 01:18:49 PM
Reply #19

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, I might as well say that I voted for "No" several days ago because it would take a long ass time to download it. And I'm not that interested.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.