Author Topic: I Just Read A Older Post(thats Still On The Front)  (Read 5635 times)

March 16, 2004, 08:59:38 PM
Read 5635 times

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
It was by Bob- as said, Lunixmonster(and Nano before it) were ALWAYS known for having serious rules, very heavy, and a very big deal. I remember the first night on Nano that I had- I got banned for cussing and generally being a butt. LB quickly banned me, and I begged for forgiveness and proved the first impression wrong(luckily).

After that, Lunix came. While I didn't like Nano dying, it was a great new server, and I got to meet many of the admins of the NS forums.

Well, my love grew over time. But then one day...I slowly stopped playing NS. Seems I did at the right time- newbs showed up soon and ruined it. Then it supposedly got its "Greatness" back. Now it seems its nub-filled again.

I dunno. Maybe its just me, but it seems the ban hammer still needs to come down hard. 1 warning, ban right after. No need for anything else(especially now that we can tell who admins are, usually).

I just hope the banfest begins, because I'll sure as hell be glad for it.

And its good to be back guys, its good to be back.

March 16, 2004, 11:09:45 PM
Reply #1

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Huh? What do you expect us to do? Say, "you're not good enough for us, BAN!"?

March 17, 2004, 08:29:46 AM
Reply #2

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Don't mind him, he hasn't had his tranquilizers this morning.

I agree that the latest batch of folks that have started playing NS have been less than admirable. This time, however, it's not so much swearing and disrespecting and that sort of crap, as much as it is not following orders when a marine and reswhoring forever when an alien. This is a lot more complicated to deal with. While we do have a rule that says 'listen to your team', what do you do when you realize that you're the only one on the alien team that has dropped an RT? Ban the whole team? Obviously some of them have legitimate reasons for doing it, ie saving for hives and chambers. But not ALL of them.

What do you do when your marines run in every direction and won't hold a position for more than two seconds? I don't know. Screaming doesn't seem to work too well. We do have a 'follow orders' rule, but again, do I ban the whole team? It's a lot harder to make a call on something like this. TKing, cussing, clear cut game spoiling like that, it's a lot easier to deal with than res whoring and marines going AWOL. I'm keeping an eye out, but I'm not totally sure what to do with them when I catch them.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 17, 2004, 08:39:08 AM
Reply #3

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I wondered where you ran off to, welcome back!  ^_^
To the stars!

insert witty line here

March 17, 2004, 10:02:57 AM
Reply #4

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
LB, if that was pointed at me, I still love you <3  :lol:

Bob, I actually have a bit of a suggestion here. When their not following orders, or not doing things the way they should, maybe they should be warned that not following orders is a bannable offense, but also ask if they are new. If they aren't new and aren't following orders or doing the right thing, ask what their doing.

Basically, take the Dr. Phil approach: Be nice until they leave you no options. Then perm-ban. Cause when it comes down to it, we don't need people like that on our server.

March 17, 2004, 10:16:53 AM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i agree with you there, but sometimes not going to your waypoint and going into a alien hive undetected and setting up a PG could turn the tides of a game not going marines way. as for aliens, its been pretty good lately. its just the smart asses that are ticking me off who don't listen, then start yelling and calling me a newb for asking them mulitple times to drop something at least. yesterday otto said the SG was completly overpowered. i agreed with him when 4 lvl 1 weapons SG marines took down the hive before we even got the second warning that the hive is under attack, and how keyser could take out over 1/2 the team of skulks attacking him without having to put another shell into his SG. Then this kid who supports marines blows up on me and otto over the mic calling me a newb and how i should play the game more and actually "test" it out. Eva_2 was there and told us to quiet down, i stopped but he kept going on. eva gave him 2 warnings and he finally shut up. the problem i stated above is the kid shouldve been kicked or temp banned for 5-15 minutes to let him chill out and come back later.
u admins are too nice sometimes and thats why i agree with quant that the "ban_hammer" should be enforced a bit more :lol:

Hell, even sometimes i get pissed off and flip and if an admin TBed me or kicked me i think i would apperciate it to know the admins are strict and making the atmoshpere better for the players who want to play the game as it was meant to play(well a tb for less then 15 minutes :p )

P.S. Onos at hive 0-1 make skulks look scary :p

March 18, 2004, 01:57:09 AM
Reply #6

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
Q, I'm not sure you've given it enough of a chance... I've been playing obsessively on LM for a few weeks now, and I find the nubbage to be a bare minimum.  Admin warnings and bans are dealt out exactly when necessary and keep 'em in line.  And really, 90% of the people on LM are the LM regulars -- I seldom see a name I don't know.  maybe 1 or 2 people I don't recognize on the server at a time, when it's full.  And the regulars are all ppl I'm proud to play with, most of them more skilled than I =P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 01:57:38 AM by DiscoZombie »

March 18, 2004, 07:15:08 AM
Reply #7

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
Leave the poor little shirtgun alone :p

Well, personally I'm not a great fan of going bantastic. Sometimes its just stupid, sometimes admins just deliberately fuel the fire and that often enough makes me wish their were easier ways to keep tabs on such situations. But in the end, nobody likes to tattle tale on an admin because what is a minor and not gamebreaking issue. In the end still more baddys than goodys get banned/kicked et cetera.

Regardless, I still hate the no-spawncamping rule as its way too far reaching and alters the game itself and not just antisocial behaviour (ie co_ revolves around spawncamping basicly, ns_ games you're still attacking SPAWN POINTS and as such have to train your guns at them to cover teammates, mine up the PG in spawn or setup a foothold TFac to beat down the waves of defending aliens). A 'don't delay the game' rule would be so much nicer.

And to whoever said "sometimes doing your own thing is better". No, no, no and no again. Its the must frustrating thing as a comm, and if theres a reasonable chance of sneaking off alone or a good spot to be gotten I can bloody well tell someone to go there myself. The moment people start trying to walk around alone, a host of problems arises : First off, everyone wants to be the guy that saves the game. Second, even if a few people still follow orders - having 3 guys at my disposal leaves me with alot less options than having 7 guys. Just believe me : As a comm, the most powerful weapon is to have a team that listens.

I can't count the number of times a ~2 minute win gets prolonged into a 20 second ordeal because everyone wants to "help the comm out" - each open resnode they walk past, my group loses 2 people, and each alien that shows up on MT draws another one off. Add in a Gorge building somewhere in the vicinity, and odds are noone will reach the waypoint/hive. And of course the problem that some people will simply not understand the orders and follow the nearest guy - which happens to be a "ONG COMM LOOK AN RT!" smacktard. :/

Like just the other day, perfect early endgame at under 6 minutes or so on origin - we have a lockdown on Vent, and a phase there. I ask the group to phase through and all crawl into Heating Room - out of 7 marines, Plaguebearer and one other guy actually do so. 2 others run to Biodome, because an RT went down. 2 more run into double, and one never phases. We still won that one, but in 37 minutes.

The 2 'rines in heating room died setting up the PG, to 2 Skulks.

March 18, 2004, 10:25:43 AM
Reply #8

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
I try to keep a good reputation as someone who follows orders. ;)
God, I'm old.

March 18, 2004, 11:13:29 AM
Reply #9

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I wondered where you ran off to, welcome back!  ^_^
^^
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 18, 2004, 01:59:42 PM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So what do you say, Saltz? You want stricter enforcement of the 'follow orders' rule, or less of a weighty wielding of the banhammer? When not under strict orders from his Blueness, I do like to admin the server in the way that the players find to be best. So what do you think? I can't be both a 'let-it-slide' admin and a 'crack-the-whip' admin.

March 18, 2004, 02:17:55 PM
Reply #11

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
id say "crack-the-whip" with the once in awhile "bring the keg on over" (in other words, strict Nazi admin but sometimes the crazy easy going admin) then again im replying to a post that was sent out to saltbad

March 18, 2004, 09:13:17 PM
Reply #12

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Yeah, Diablus has it. Allow it sometimes when its gonna be just screwy.

:D

March 19, 2004, 01:53:04 PM
Reply #13

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
So what do you say, Saltz? You want stricter enforcement of the 'follow orders' rule, or less of a weighty wielding of the banhammer? When not under strict orders from his Blueness, I do like to admin the server in the way that the players find to be best. So what do you think? I can't be both a 'let-it-slide' admin and a 'crack-the-whip' admin.
No, I was just ranting off on the unnamed someone that said they'd rather just run off sometimes, and how impossible it makes comming. I don't advocate ban or adminhammering people, because I'm no great fan of that method of doing things in the first place - and the offense is too minor to get your pantys in a bunch over. After a while, people simply learn and thats as good as you can hope to get people to work together in a video game, I suppose.

And yeah, your admining is pretty much the style that scores the most points with me at being non-abrasive and keeping undesirables out. Not that you should care, becuase theres no place to cash in those SaltzBad points (except maybe in sweet lovemaking sessions.. err).

The only thing thats really giving me headaches is the way in which no-spawncamping tends to mean whatever the admin present wants it to. Especially 'no mining the Hive' rules. If a PG goes up in the Hive, the most sensible thing to do is to mine it up to stop the waves of Skulks from attacking it. Generally, when you run into a Hive laying a bunch of mines is a damn good idea to improve your odds of rushing it down. Same as say, sporeing spawning LAs is, bilebombing from invulnerable spots into relocs (hello eclipse) or just switching between the IP you're chomping so you always get the spawning 'rine as a Skulk.

Meh, maybe its just me but "Don't mine the hive" sounds as silly as "Don't spawnkill with sieges". And thats my only gripe, thank ye gawds.

March 19, 2004, 02:55:13 PM
Reply #14

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I'd say ban Bob and let the Vets sort him out.

>:D
To the stars!

insert witty line here

March 19, 2004, 03:05:16 PM
Reply #15

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
i say find a locked room on a map, or a restricted area of some sort and get the hl monster plugin (and give most admins the admin_teleport command)
commslap would be fun too ^^

March 28, 2004, 11:37:20 AM
Reply #16

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'd say ban Bob and let the Vets sort him out.

>:D
Hey, the vets aren't evil. Their just imbociles.

March 30, 2004, 06:09:04 PM
Reply #17

pjofsky

• Skulk

• View Profile
Would I would do is employ DOOManiac as an admin.  The server would be cleared within 5 minutes flat.

March 31, 2004, 09:28:20 AM
Reply #18

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We don't want the server cleared of EVERYONE. Just the bad ones.

April 02, 2004, 10:50:36 PM
Reply #19

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Amen! bant them all! Oh and on a lighter note, I have a hard time following orders because these skulks keep biting my ankles... I guess its because my brethren always want to be close <3. Skulk 4 prez!!

I reveal penis I know psychology.