Author Topic: What Do You Think Of The Lerk?  (Read 7091 times)

March 14, 2004, 04:50:05 AM
Read 7091 times

Birdy

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://
Hey,

I was wondering what you all thought of the new lerk? v_v

In my opinion the lerk is a failed support/assault hybrid.
Too low health to survive in close contact and you are pretty much forced to take celerity if you even want a chance at flying away.

Also the lerk fly's in too predictable shapes without having the ability to strafe.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 04:50:39 AM by Birdy »

March 14, 2004, 05:03:19 AM
Reply #1

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
Its pretty sweet once you get the energy management down. A nice approach and even an classic lerk makes mincemeat out of 1-2 marines before they get all that many shots off - good for early game containment. Especially since the tons of medpacks thier comm would have to drop vs spores will hurt them at that time.

Of course, for a 30 res investment he's fairly frail too but not too bad to not be able to survive. Towards the mid-game he becomes superb with Umbra/Adren or Celerity. The approaching is not that big a problem - most people will just fly too low, or frontally - obviously, you want to either have a reasonably high ceiling to drop down from or approach from the back if you're going in for a bite on multiple 'rines. If you absolutely have to approach from the front, pull up towards the ceiling as the Marine gets his aim on and flap 1-2 times to keep that speed up - vtracking as we well know tends to be everyones weakness, and its easier to get away from a fight if you don't bump into the guys on the ground and loose your speed.

Thats really how 90% of my lerkdeaths happen. Run into a guy, loose all speed - and you're already low on adren. Erk. The other 10% are 'nades :p

Anyways, my favorite alien in all honesty. And in co_, its just plain insanely good (Cel/Adren/Regen/Feces/Carapace/Umbra = win). But Celerity alone is enough if all you want is some fun flying.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:03:46 AM by SaltzBad »

March 14, 2004, 05:05:40 AM
Reply #2

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
OMGz00rs Birdy first post  :ph34r:

yes with 3.0 the lerk became more 'assualtish', which kinda took away it's support role - most people don't use Umbra when they're lerk(i'm no saint either). so i would rather classify it as a weak/fast/cheap assualt unit - with some support abilities with extra hives.

what does make it supportish is because it is pretty weak, if the rines have weapon upgrades it needs allies to distract fire.

so yea it's kinda a failed hybrid, imo it should be one of the two - i don't mind the current abilities - since it still has some support capabilities - but if it had a tad more armor or just more mobility it would be better.

EDIT: yes in Co_ it's really mean, since it can get more upgrades so it's not so fragile.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:07:26 AM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

March 14, 2004, 05:08:27 AM
Reply #3

Birdy

• Lerker

• View Profile
The thing is, in combat where you can get cara and celerity it has a chance to survive since you aren't forced to only take those upgrades.

A tiny flying speed boost and maybe 10 or 15 armor could do the trick.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 05:09:04 AM by Birdy »

March 14, 2004, 05:24:45 AM
Reply #4

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
Meh, in classic its available about 30 seconds into the game or something crazy like that. And up to about 5 minutes you're not going to be facing many high-level weapons, shottys at best (aka "Stay away" signs).

The lerk does both its roles fine if you ask me, its just up to you how you want to use him. Sporeclouding from a distance does one hell of a lot of damage to the 'rines until about minute 9 and never puts you in much danger, its bite is plenty powerful but riskier business and if you want you can basicly Lerk the whole game with Umbra or Celerity (with the exception of Hive1/DC vs HAs, the Lerk is just silly then).

So leave the poor thing alone, life is plenty rough on marines in good games already with the exception of lategames.

March 14, 2004, 03:50:24 PM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Anyways, my favorite alien in all honesty. And in co_, its just plain insanely good (Cel/Adren/Regen/Feces/Carapace/Umbra = win). But Celerity alone is enough if all you want is some fun flying.
Uh... what? Not to spam here... but... uh... WHAT?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 14, 2004, 05:42:48 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
you know feces though he probably meant focus but well that is hilarious none the less

anyways i like the new lerk though i don't go lerk much since i'm either gorging cause i'm a good battle gorge or i'm skulking till i can go fade or onos
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 14, 2004, 09:20:35 PM
Reply #7

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
only problem i have with the lerk is it has too little hp, dies so fast.
i remember killing dubbilex with around 25 lmg rounds and a couple pistol shots while he was flying away, only thing i find them useful is for sporing/umbra from a distance while the onos or fades to the work  ;)
-_^

March 14, 2004, 09:50:56 PM
Reply #8

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I think it sucks badly. The flying system is just totally messed up now.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

March 14, 2004, 10:24:30 PM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It can be as powerful as a fade if used right

March 14, 2004, 10:35:13 PM
Reply #10

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
I love the new flight system.  I just miss the spikes... but dont want to give up bite. :(
God, I'm old.

March 14, 2004, 11:19:58 PM
Reply #11

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
Uh... what? Not to spam here... but... uh... WHAT?
Flinging poo is what makes the Lerk uber.

March 14, 2004, 11:22:09 PM
Reply #12

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
for me, the lerk is the alien that pisses me off the most when I choose it =p because it forces me to start cursing and get tempted to call ppl H4X0R2 when I fly over their heads at full celerity speed and they still kill me :(

but still, when I actually concentrate it's a pretty good alien... good for sporing and umbraing and chewing on marines' bums while they're distracted by the main force :>

March 23, 2004, 12:43:22 PM
Reply #13

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I like using the lerk. Since I started off with NS3.0, the flying systeme doesnt really bother me.

Plus I think if yo know how to use a lerk properly you can cause a lot of ruckus.

March 23, 2004, 06:12:27 PM
Reply #14

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
eh, i didnt like it but after your forced to use it for awhile u kinda grow to like it

March 23, 2004, 07:28:11 PM
Reply #15

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
spore from a distance
wait for medpack spam
laugh at waste of res
sopre again
retreat to heal
wait until medpackspam stops
spore/bite/kill/pwn

you may now pass go and collect 10 res

March 23, 2004, 07:50:09 PM
Reply #16

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Blackmage basically nailed it on the head.

As for the flying system, it can't be beat. As for learning how to use it, I simply used the lerk's flight like a fade's blink. The next order of business was mastering gliding and energy management. From there, it was just spit and polish until manuvering about was no sweat. Granted the system had a number of changes, but nothing too major.

The lerk still has to play conservatively in classic, playing boldly usually leaves you crying "WTF!??!1 LEURK IS WEAKE FFS IMHOBBQ!!" as im sure we've all either seen or experienced trying to bite armor 3 la's in a badly misplaced umbra cloud.

In co, well, the lerk is a winged nightmare...  <_<

March 23, 2004, 09:08:22 PM
Reply #17

ShootBang

• Skulk

• View Profile
I LOVE that lerk got bite back. Shooting projectiles made the lerk a long range only, but now we've got spore for long range AND bite, so it's a little more balanced. You don't get raped by a ton of lerks camping (it shotld be easy to get away from spore without dieing so much).

I'm not so happy about the new flying system, partialy... because the glide animation doesn't work, and because i don't want to have to hold jump yo glide. It would be cool if you could set it up so you'll flap and start gliding without having to hold anything. twould be leet. Another, probably better reason, is because i don't like to have to relearn my flapping.

Arnold, Win? But he's still.... Only human

March 23, 2004, 10:05:45 PM
Reply #18

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
It would be cool if you could set it up so you'll flap and start gliding without having to hold anything. twould be leet. Another, probably better reason, is because i don't like to have to relearn my flapping.
a script, you say?

Code: [Select]
alias jump1 "+jump; bind alt jump2"
alias jump2 "-jump; bind alt jump1"
bind to alt for happy fun time

And the flying system is great, people just try to use lerk as an assault class when it is not.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

March 24, 2004, 06:54:17 AM
Reply #19

Majin

• Skulk

• View Profile
I dont mind the way the lerk flys but I find that it just doesnt move fast anymore.  I flap it 40 times and it only moves up to 10 flaps of forward speed and than stops.  This makes it hard to get away and celerity (like someone else said) is very needed.  Also its lack of life make it a waste of 40 res!
they drop way too quickly!