Author Topic: Your Thoughts On Hive 1 Onos  (Read 8298 times)

March 09, 2004, 06:30:37 PM
Read 8298 times

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Im sick of it, Hive 1 onos should be placed at hive 2, they are absolutly the biggest worthless peices of **** at hive 1, they do NOT "turn the tides of a game" for instance, ive seen this MANY games. Marines turtle, take 1 hive, get HA/HMG's and kill 1 hive, now tell me how hive 2 onos CAN make a difference in a game with stomp, yet its the biggest peice of lame on the field at hive 1, and YES i am complaing but i am Stating the truth. when marines get HA and are close to taking down the hicve 2 its end game, sure mabbye ull get lucky from a skulk rush and take out the phase gate but i mean comeon. marines have a end friggin game why can't aliens? i mean Hive 3 is worthless really, most alien wins end at hive 2 if marines dont get at least 3-4 nodes which is easy early game. now, don't take this to harshly because i am just venting, this is about the 11'th -12th time ive seen this, just now i was hive 2onos (and im a damn good one if uve seen me play on LM) but i cant take on 6 HA/HMG's at level 2-3 by myself, sure sometimes mabye i can if they dont stick together. now i died from a heavy rush into mess hall by being blocked by 2 gorges trying to heal spray me. Now i know what your gonna say " duh then dont let them kill hive 2" well mabye if u read above then ud see i was dead and wehad no onos.
We then get 3 onos and rush subspace, 3 YES 3 with celerity and regeneration. marines lost 1 marine when they all phased, we each devoured 1 and tried to gore the rest. we failed, miserably. Most were armed with hmgs, 1-2 had shotguns. We dropped like fiels and it totally wasnt fair. Ive been seeing this ALOT on nancy, and i know the problem... Onos cant get to marine start in time becuase they have to go through mess hall, marines lame up mess hall and its gg if they HA/HMG rush a hive. now that uve read this go ahead and flame, but i tell u this, even if your an amazing onos, 2-3 HA/HMGS' can easily take u out at hive 1, even if your skileld at devour and can get bhopping marines such as I u cant win even if u retreat. Onos turned into tanks armored with paper rather then carapace it seems.... Now i know someone will say " uhh 3 HA/HMG SHOuld be able to take out a hive 1 onos becuase it costs more) well for that nubcake id like to state if aliens lose all thier rts even when using teamwork id have to say getting onos takes a LONG time incase u cant tell time, and HA/HMG's are in a POOL of resources" 1 Onos should be able to take 2 HA/HMG marines, or at least kill 2 and badly injure 1 before being overpowered easily by them and injuring 1 marine.

I also think a main factor is that Onos are *BLOCKED* by the smallest lifeforms such as skulks, gorges, lerks, and LA marines. Onos should have a push factor so 1 LA marine cant stop a onos dead in its tracks. They should move where the onos is moving, same goes for the other aliens besidesother onos AND Heavy Armor, now i know no devs are going to bother reading this because S&I forums went to hell but im just venting. just think about it to yourself for a bit before u post something at least....

(this posted in S&I forums, prob only going to be loked at by some CSers whos passing by...)

March 09, 2004, 08:13:48 PM
Reply #1

DumbMarine

• Lerker

• View Profile
I find 3 reasons for the problems of NS:

1) The Economy. 4 RTs for marines means pretty good upgrades and money for guns, 4 RTs for aliens means you might get 3 DCs. Maybe, assuming someone's cooperative. (The economy difference from marines to aliens is what I'm saying, it's horrid)

2) The Types of Play. Marines seem to play the defensive role, where the aliens play the 'sneak-attack' type. While this may seem okay, it is only good for the aliens in the early game. After about, oh, 3 minutes, the aliens lose this advantage more or less as Motion comes into play (Either that or they've locked down the entire map with their excellent marine-eating skill). Generally, the marine defensive role becomes much more fortified, with hive-eating sieges doing all of the work, but for the alien, hiding on the ceiling stops working once they get electricity. Marines have tons of stuff that nullify the aliens, but what is there to at least help nullify the marines?

3) The Tech. Marine tech is easily accessable and pretty hard to lock down. Marine tech helps immensely. MT and Scan Sweep negate about 1/3rd of the entire alien arsenal. HMG and HA negate about another 1/3rd of the entire alien evolutions. The last third is usually stuff like 'parasite' and 'blink.' Alien tech is different. It's not easy to whore up the res to get better tech which is easily lockable by marines. (If you die, you lose the tech, as opposed to marines where if you die you get a fresh grenade) Alien tech doesn't negate anything generally. Maybe carapace negates weapon upgrades and focus negates armor upgrades... a bit... sorta. Otherwise, well, nope.

-- The solution --

Onos faceplate absorbs 100% damage of bullets (With appropriate onos tweaks). And cut back on jetpacks. Maybe have marine upkeep or something.

March 09, 2004, 08:35:54 PM
Reply #2

Cold-NiTe

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~grain_silo/my_sig.jpg
I find 3 reasons for the problems of NS:

1) The Economy. 4 RTs for marines means pretty good upgrades and money for guns, 4 RTs for aliens means you might get 3 DCs. Maybe, assuming someone's cooperative. (The economy difference from marines to aliens is what I'm saying, it's horrid)

2) The Types of Play. Marines seem to play the defensive role, where the aliens play the 'sneak-attack' type. While this may seem okay, it is only good for the aliens in the early game. After about, oh, 3 minutes, the aliens lose this advantage more or less as Motion comes into play (Either that or they've locked down the entire map with their excellent marine-eating skill). Generally, the marine defensive role becomes much more fortified, with hive-eating sieges doing all of the work, but for the alien, hiding on the ceiling stops working once they get electricity. Marines have tons of stuff that nullify the aliens, but what is there to at least help nullify the marines?

3) The Tech. Marine tech is easily accessable and pretty hard to lock down. Marine tech helps immensely. MT and Scan Sweep negate about 1/3rd of the entire alien arsenal. HMG and HA negate about another 1/3rd of the entire alien evolutions. The last third is usually stuff like 'parasite' and 'blink.' Alien tech is different. It's not easy to whore up the res to get better tech which is easily lockable by marines. (If you die, you lose the tech, as opposed to marines where if you die you get a fresh grenade) Alien tech doesn't negate anything generally. Maybe carapace negates weapon upgrades and focus negates armor upgrades... a bit... sorta. Otherwise, well, nope.
YES YES YES!  So True!

-- The solution --

Onos faceplate absorbs 100% damage of bullets (With appropriate onos tweaks). And cut back on jetpacks. Maybe have marine upkeep or something.
Noooooooooo!  Flayra has outlawed all locational effects.   :(  That means we don't get to do this, even though it does kinda solve the problem.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 08:56:21 PM by Cold-NiTe »

Full Metal Alchemist + FFXI
www.yzzerdd.com - For everyone who remembers that Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Yes.  It DOES exist.

March 09, 2004, 08:52:26 PM
Reply #3

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Noooooooooo!  Flayra has outlawed all location effects.
I have seen many people say that, but never has it been substantiated.  Where, exactly, is this decree stated?

March 09, 2004, 08:55:45 PM
Reply #4

Cold-NiTe

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~grain_silo/my_sig.jpg
I am pretty sure I was around when he actually said it.  I swear.  But I have no idea what the name of it was or anything.  

Heh heh...  There goes any argument I had...  :lol:

Full Metal Alchemist + FFXI
www.yzzerdd.com - For everyone who remembers that Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Yes.  It DOES exist.

March 09, 2004, 08:57:35 PM
Reply #5

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
ive allways said the worst thing about the HL engine is that you cant get knocked down
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

March 09, 2004, 09:20:03 PM
Reply #6

BlaqWolf

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
!!!

diablus is on another onos-is-not-strong enough rampage!!!

/me hides

no, seriously tho, i agree. aliens need a MUCH better endgame. onos is too weak; nothing compared to what its 1.04 counter part was. now THAT was a beast to be feared....
*In Soviet Russia, armory humps you!

March 09, 2004, 09:47:49 PM
Reply #7

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
actually, cold-nite, quite the opposite.
the dev team was reportedly looking into the onos-faceplate-absorbs-damage idea the last time i checked

(the above statement has three qualifiers in it, meaning that while it is probably false it cannot completely be disproven :p)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 09:48:05 PM by Black Mage »

March 09, 2004, 10:28:39 PM
Reply #8

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
agree w/ most of what dumb marine said, but to relate to the original post, onos is complete crap period atm, all it does is distract bullets so everyone else can do damage, ie meatshield, which it even stinks at that.. it really needs a ton more hps for the res required, and maybe a way to negate the marines as stated above, a long distance shield or something of the sort, so the marines cna hurt it up close but not from afar, kind of how marines negate 160+ res with one 20 res gl or with siege(s), basically marines have too many counters to aliens, and aliens have no counters to marines past 2 minutes into gameplay(armor1 comes into play, focus is useless, get mt, negates silence)

so agreement to above but i had to post it my way :D

March 09, 2004, 10:36:54 PM
Reply #9

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
My choise of action: Bring back 1.04 Onos. That thing was nigh impossible to kill, of course most people will say it's because of the "OGM brokezored hitboxorezes!".

I swear to God, if I had a nickel for every time anybody bitched about Onos hitboxes... Hell, if I had a nickel for every time someone 'tested Onos hitboxes in game', I'd be a billionaire.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 10:38:37 PM by Grimm »

March 09, 2004, 11:32:51 PM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
ive allways said the worst thing about the HL engine is that you cant get knocked down
Sure you can get knocked down. Lots of games have 'prone' mode in them to increase your accuracy or whatever. Just do the same thing in NS except make it happen when you get stomped. You fall down, you lower your gun until you get back up. Easiest thing in the world. Make it take about 1/2 sec to fall down and about 1 sec to get back up and be ready to fire again. Decrease the ridiculous stomp range to managable levels. You have perfect stomp.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 10, 2004, 03:55:44 AM
Reply #11

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
gah... bob beat me to it lol.

Actually you could take it further and flip the camera and change the camera viewpoint like when you crouch so you end up stuck looking at the ceiling from an appropriate location.  For everyone else the falling over and lying on the floor part could be a simple animation, one that switches you to the crouch hull too =3
Ideally it'd use a corpse hull but we all know about hull limits for players =/

ooh! they could put you into noclip mode, and set your position so you don't fall through the floor!  You can still be hit in noclip so that might actually work... so many ideas to test out now XD

March 10, 2004, 08:50:45 AM
Reply #12

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
My choise of action: Bring back 1.04 Onos.

Agreed, somewhat...
What i'd perfer would be to bring back the 1.04 oni's lumbering walk/run, where you would start off slowly and build up momentum until you were running at a fairly speedy clip even without celerity.

*sigh*
*Misses the sunken onos rushes*

March 10, 2004, 09:06:43 AM
Reply #13

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The problem with anything that improves the onos is that it unbalances combat in some strange magical stupid way. Of course, I'd rather see combat die a cruel death than have it screw up NS balance, but no one really cares what I think.

Also, HI x-s-z, good to have you on the forums.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 10, 2004, 09:21:00 AM
Reply #14

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Y'gotta stop being so hard on yourself, Bob, we all care what you think and nobody is ignoring you.

Leaderz0rz and I were chatting on IRC and we both agreed that we'd give up Combat if NS would revert back to 2.01, and the 'dev team'/Flayra would improve the game from there without Combat in mind.

March 10, 2004, 09:27:30 AM
Reply #15

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
sure sure, onos is a crappy meatshield.. but who has been winning the majority of games on LM? hmmmmm?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 10, 2004, 09:28:55 AM
Reply #16

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
fade players? =P

March 10, 2004, 09:36:05 AM
Reply #17

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
sure sure, onos is a crappy meatshield.. but who has been winning the majority of games on LM? hmmmmm?
Exactly. That's why the aliens don't have as many counters. Marines NEED teamwork to win, and as long as there are pubs, and the "balancing" comes from them, the games will be dumbed down. Instead of making a game that requires a little altering of the CS gameplay mentality, Flayra is going for a game "anyone can enjoy". I don't argue this, it's his game, his way. But as long as that happens, we need to be able to find our own way to deal with it. The onos is now an elec RT eater, and PG killer, a outpost destroyer, and meatshield. That's its new job. It is not meant to attack marine squads, at least not in its current form. Figure out how to use it for the abilities it has, and you'll do fine. Rambo and expect to live against four or five marines with shotties, never onos again...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

March 10, 2004, 09:38:48 AM
Reply #18

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I'm with you on that bob who cares if combat gets unbalanced.  All I really want to see is a lot of balance in the regular game and forget combat.

as for the one hive onos thing it is fine if you know what you are doing.  I've seen way too many players go onos with one hive and die instantly.  with one hive and the slower speed of the 3.0 onos you have to enter battle for a little while then leave and go and heal quite often to stay alive.  I know that this isn't very effective but it is the only way to be a good 1 hive onos <_<
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 10, 2004, 10:51:14 AM
Reply #19

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
I agree with rad4christ.

The aliens have had some role jigging and people still haven't used them for the new roles. (Except perhaps the fade)

FIX THIS!