Author Topic: Where's Lolfighter?  (Read 16568 times)

March 09, 2004, 06:03:38 AM
Read 16568 times

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I keep getting asked about this, and I grow tired of having to explain in detail each time. So I'm making this ickle threadlekins. Read it, commit it to memory, recite twice a day, toss the link at people when they ask. I give you: The complete "Where's lolfighter?"

I'd best begin by explaining what my situation was when I was still among you. I was living in Denmark, in my own little cozy flat. I was studying to be an Export Engineer, and the danish state was so nifty as to grant me a monthly $600 (approximately). Not exactly luxurious, but rather decent. The flat I was living in was a so-called "youth-flat", meaning that it was available exclusively for young people undergoing education, but also state-supported, and thus rather cheap. This meant that the $600 (approximately) monthly were enough to keep me afloat economically.

Sometime in the beginning of November I decided that Export Engineer wasn't really my thing, and stopped showing up for classes. That's why I showed a lot of activity during November and December. Come the end of the semester, I quit, and as a result lost my grant and had to move out. Lacking other options, I had to move back home, which is where I am right now. Here, my own computer isn't hooked up to the internet, and the family computer (complete with corrupted memory that causes freezing right when you're in the middle of something) is in use much of the time. My sister occupies it much of the afternoon, my father most of the evening (playing SOLITAIRE of all things). So my online time is mostly restricted to mornings and early afternoons, times when most of you americans are fast asleep.

It's hard to say when I will be back "for real". Probably not before I move out again and have my own place. That might be August. Might be later. Dunno. Don't get your hopes up, I know I'm not.

And now I'll take your questions.

March 09, 2004, 07:27:10 AM
Reply #1

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm not american :p

anyways... I was gonna give you huggles and say I feel for you, but I just can't miss this chance at doing this little stunt for the pure cheek of it;

~ huggles shared broadband connection ~

^~
anyways, now that's out my system have you ever thought about buying a cheap lil router until you escape?  We've got one running here so that's why I can net while my parents do whatever from solitaire to booking yet another holiday (I swear they go on 5 or more a year) =3

March 09, 2004, 08:07:58 AM
Reply #2

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes, a simple SOMETHING to share the internet connection would be nice. Either a router, or a switch and a second IP address (they're usually not that expensive). While I know you still wouldn't be able to play on the servers because of that whole crappy broadband design thing, you could at least be able to hang in the IRC chan more often. Maybe get on the server and spectate, and offer opinionated comments, eh?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 08:08:57 AM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 09, 2004, 02:00:59 PM
Reply #3

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
why not install NS on your local libary computer and play  :lol: , then leave and hide the desktop icon so noobody knows :ph34r:

March 09, 2004, 07:28:10 PM
Reply #4

Cold-NiTe

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~grain_silo/my_sig.jpg
why not install NS on your local libary computer and play  :lol: , then leave and hide the desktop icon so noobody knows :ph34r:
And, the best way to hide the icon is to change the name to something extremely nominal that wouldn't be noticed, and change the icon to the folder icon.  Make sure the name is so boring and unnoticed that it doesn't get frequently clicked on.  Heck you can even move it from the desktop into a folder in the my documents folder and it will be even safer.

Not that I have ANY experience with this at all.

Full Metal Alchemist + FFXI
www.yzzerdd.com - For everyone who remembers that Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Yes.  It DOES exist.

March 10, 2004, 03:44:31 AM
Reply #5

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
~pokes nite~ supar powars? who are the other 12? lol

March 10, 2004, 04:12:19 AM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ok, intarweb situation next then:

The provider we're using uses some obscure means of connecting. I swear, I've never heard of anyone else using DIALUP DSL. They don't even allow connection sharing (as if I'd care), so I can't go and ask 'em for a second IP. And I have no clue how a router would handle DIALUP. AO and LB already cracked a few teeth on that nut.
Only possibility (except for a cumbersome provider change) would be to change to their two-megabit line, which allows sharing (in which case I could request support) - but then I could wallpaper the house with the bills. Abhorrently expensive. I've considered the options, and I haven't been able to come up with anything myself. Any suggestions?

March 10, 2004, 08:12:29 AM
Reply #7

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Move to America, where the broadband is cheap, the women are buxom, and the streets are paved with GOLD!!

So the means of connection is actually a modem then? You don't have a seperate DSL box that you're hooking up to a network card? That's what this sounds like. If so, I can only say... urgh?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 10, 2004, 09:32:49 AM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Move to America, where the broadband is cheap, the women are buxom, and the streets are paved with GOLD!!

move to CANADA, where broadband is even CHEAPER!! and the women are.. well, i dunnoo, they are under a LOT of layers of winter clothes :S

i pay... 85 CAD for broadband inet and cable TV, 500KB dl something something upload :D
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 10, 2004, 10:22:59 AM
Reply #9

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
I'd go to Canada over America.

Canadas like Britiain. Except with more adverts, American Food chains and Maple Syrup.

Oh and the have Tim Hortons.

Best Doughnuts Evar!

FIX THIS!

March 10, 2004, 01:48:24 PM
Reply #10

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
Move to Denmark it has cheap alcohol, nice girls(LF said this himself :p), pastry and is much closer to Germany.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

March 10, 2004, 02:22:46 PM
Reply #11

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Come to Peru! We have Llamas! We have the Andes! We have Cebiche!
Come to Peru! Im there! All the Cool Gorges are going!
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

March 10, 2004, 02:25:09 PM
Reply #12

Cold-NiTe

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~grain_silo/my_sig.jpg
Awww I wanna go where all the cool gorges are going...

OMG Look it's a Llama!  Let me attract it with my Patented Llama mating call!

Braawwr!

*Nothing happens*

Braawwr!

*Gets spit on*

Aaaaaaaaiiiiiieeeeeeee
-------------------------------------------
Ahh but there in lies the secret.  A reserved slot?  A Cookie?  A custom title?  What special ability will our hero Link... er Cold-NiTe collect next?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 02:29:23 PM by Cold-NiTe »

Full Metal Alchemist + FFXI
www.yzzerdd.com - For everyone who remembers that Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Yes.  It DOES exist.

March 10, 2004, 04:39:01 PM
Reply #13

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

move to CANADA, where broadband is even CHEAPER!! and the women are.. well, i dunnoo, they are under a LOT of layers of winter clothes :S

i pay... 85 CAD for broadband inet and cable TV, 500KB dl something something upload :D
85 CAD is 65 USD.

I'm paying about $55 a month for cable TV and 3 meg + broadband. AND Comcast said they're expanding the lines even more for up to 5 megs.

Finally cable TV isn't full of 'national' shows that you're required to show by the government.

US is truely win.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 04:39:47 PM by Uranium - 235 »

March 10, 2004, 05:13:22 PM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net

85 CAD is 65 USD.

I'm paying about $55 a month for cable TV and 3 meg + broadband. AND Comcast said they're expanding the lines even more for up to 5 megs.

huh, i was under the impression broadband was much cheaper in canada than in the states; clearly, that's not the case.

how do you find how fast your cable inet is? i just go by the fastest i've ever downloaded something... so does that mean, Uranium, you've downloaded something at 3 Megs /second? or..?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 05:14:32 PM by Niteowl »
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 10, 2004, 05:15:47 PM
Reply #15

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
I'd go to Canada over America.

Canadas like Britiain. Except with more adverts, American Food chains and Maple Syrup.

Oh and the have Tim Hortons.

Best Doughnuts Evar!
if there's one thing i miss about canada it's having a tim hortons within blocks of my house ... yeah

best. donuts. evar.

and stuff is cheaper (but teh numbars look biggar)

oh. and us tv has no national shows. but they do have government sponsered ads which everyone shows willingly
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 05:17:56 PM by Black Mage »

March 10, 2004, 05:45:42 PM
Reply #16

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Awww I wanna go where all the cool gorges are going...

OMG Look it's a Llama!  Let me attract it with my Patented Llama mating call!

Braawwr!

*Nothing happens*

Braawwr!

*Gets spit on*

Aaaaaaaaiiiiiieeeeeeee
-------------------------------------------
Ahh but there in lies the secret.  A reserved slot?  A Cookie?  A custom title?  What special ability will our hero Link... er Cold-NiTe collect next?
Remember you are also 15% sleek, that is a super power too.
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

March 10, 2004, 08:28:41 PM
Reply #17

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

85 CAD is 65 USD.

huh, i was under the impression broadband was much cheaper in canada than in the states; clearly, that's not the case.

how do you find how fast your cable inet is? i just go by the fastest i've ever downloaded something... so does that mean, Uranium, you've downloaded something at 3 Megs /second? or..?
Well, since my connection is only as fast as the connection wherever I'm getting it from, no. Almost every site on earth now limits their upload (Back in the day when cable was brand new, you could download at 1 meg / second from most sites). However, a lot of the bandwidth is 'ghost' bandwidth. For the same reason you never connect at 56kb/s on 56k (usually it seems more like 28.8), I probably will never see 3 megs, but at least with a high ceiling, I know it would take a lot to have bandwidth issues :p (Except when running emule... god damn that thing is an eHog!)

Oh:

http://www.dslreports.com -> Tools -> Speed Test (at the bottom)

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/27935....com/1078976012

My upload stinks comparatively, but it's not like I'm running a game server off this...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 08:36:05 PM by Uranium - 235 »

March 10, 2004, 11:28:36 PM
Reply #18

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
dang i hope this situation gets resolved quickly lolfighter so i can cya on LM again
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 11:33:19 PM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 11, 2004, 04:13:50 AM
Reply #19

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
No Bob. The computer is hooked up to an external DSL modem through the network card. The modem is hooked up to the splitter which is hooked up to the phone socket in the wall. And for some reason it's all dialup.