Poll

What Martial Art do you (or would you) take?

Aikido
0 (0%)
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
2 (33.3%)
Karate
0 (0%)
Judo
0 (0%)
Tae Kwon Do
1 (16.7%)
Mixed Martial Arts
0 (0%)
Other
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 3897 times)

February 08, 2007, 06:06:23 PM
Read 3897 times

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Just wondering what everyone is interested in.  I'm personally into MMA and brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and it's a blast.  I'm also sort of interested in seeing what else people take, and why.

I take BJJ because it is applicable to a real self-defense situation.  You hear that a lot from martial arts instructors, but I have seen (and been part of) demonstrations that, to me, prove that BJJ is the way to go.  It is by no means an end in itself, but it gets you there.  I take MMA because it focuses on striking- something that I am historically so bad at punches/kicks/elbows and so on that my instructor broke down laughing the first time I tried to punch at him.

So, what are y'all into? (Please specify what you take if you choose 'other'.  Fencing, for my purposes, counts.  So does Kendo.)
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

February 08, 2007, 07:06:00 PM
Reply #1

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I've taking a bit of mixed martial arts and brazilian jiu jitsu. I've been working a bit of muay thai as well.

Personally, I've been trying to find a good Aikido class around here (there's none, unfortunately). I wouldn't mind trying fencing, but I'd probably enjoy Kendo more too.

I'm probably best at MMA though, out of all the above. God knows how many times I've used it in real life situations >_>
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

February 14, 2007, 01:19:59 AM
Reply #2

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:32:46 AM by duherman »

February 15, 2007, 02:18:38 AM
Reply #3

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I want to take some form of silat
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

February 16, 2007, 07:46:27 PM
Reply #4

Spectre X

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
well, hopefully, after my second concussion from wrestling heals up, im going to start up BJJ again. i did take it for a couple of months with kodiac, which was a lot of fun. i found out i can strangle teh bear! but it is a great self defense martial art, and it leaves no marks, but you can pass someone out in little over 6 seconds, and if you wrestle, it helps tremendously. my junior year i was around a 50% record, and i finished my senior year about 23-4, owing a lot of the help to BJJ. it's a good workout, and helps if someone attacks you.

February 16, 2007, 08:04:52 PM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
the 6 second thing is a blood choke isn't it?

you got cuncust wrestling? I only got some gnarly cauloflower ear
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

February 17, 2007, 05:58:46 PM
Reply #6

Spectre X

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
yeah. the guy threw me in the most effed up head and arm ever, and i landed on my head. but somehow, i ended up still pinning him with about a score of 15-5. the second concussion came because i went and wrestled hurt, but again, i still won 13-3. amazingly tho, i didnt get any cauliflower ear. (haha, i didnt spend most of my time getting my ears rubbed into the mat!  ;D) yeah, the 6 second choke is most def. a blood choke.

February 18, 2007, 12:45:21 PM
Reply #7

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Don't worry, Spectre.  You may have been able to beat me last summer, but I've been training.  I'll give you a run for your money this time around. 
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear